I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 04:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis Center Roles
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis Center Roles  (Read 6041 times)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« on: June 04, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »

I am sure each dialysis center is different but i am sure somewhat similar.  I am still new at this.  I am trying to figure out the different roles at the center.  I see what I would call techs the most.  They seat me and get the supplies, take my weight and BP. (does anyone know what kind of training is required for this position?)  Then because I have a catheter, they yell "catheter" and I believe an RN comes over to hook me up and disconnect me.  There seems to be a supervisor who is also is an RN.  Once in a while my neph strolls through the center and talks to me for a minute or two.  I then speak with a social worker who has helped me with dealing with insurance, bills and getting my meds.  I was told that they usually have a dietician but I have not seen one ever.  (Once in the hospital I talked to one). 

Anything anyone can tell me about the different roles/training needed/who to speak to about what at a dialysis center?

EDITED:Moved to centers area-kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:18:51 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Phraxis

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »

You seem to have all the players down. But track down the dietition as soon as you can. They have diet recommendations  that can smooth things out for you allot. Mine was able to give me a shopping list that I used to replace virtually all the food in my house. Had to throw out the seeds, nots, veggies and fruit (especially dried fruit) that was a huge part of my diet. (didn't really throw it out but gave it to the local food bank)

Had some stay with me to help with cooking etc in the early part which was a big help. They were a master a the steak, white bread and red wine diet that got my potassium and phosphorus levels in line real quick.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:27:33 AM »

I'm in Toronto, Canada so things are different.  Only RNs deal directly with patients, doing needling or anything related to medical.  Techs only clean machines and deal with that end while the maintenance folk take care of the machines actual functionning. 

The neph, social worker and dietician are all at the hospital and we see the neph in clinic once a month but can go extra if something comes up.  Each patient has a primary nurse who can relay concerns or have things scheduled and who reports on blood work.  We see the SW and dietician at the beginning and then we ask to meet if needed and often it is the primary nurse who might suggest the necessity or possible usefulness of meeting with these members of the team. If you are dialysing at the hospital, as we do at first then doctors etc come into the unit there but it is often a different person who is "covering" the service in a big unit.  Once you're at a clinic (mine was a self-care clinic which I liked) then you have the same people to deal with every time.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:32:54 AM »

They were a master a the steak, white bread and red wine diet that got my potassium and phosphorus levels in line real quick.

Now I think I could live with a diet like that. Do you have any limit on the amount of red wine? A glass? A bottle?  :yahoo;

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
BigSteve

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »

If you haven't seen a dietitian yet you will, possibly after your first labs. If I am not mistaken in the U.S.
the Medicare administration requires a dietitian at each unit. As for your neph write down all your
questions and make sure he or she answers them all. Once you start getting you EOBs from Medicare
and insurance you can see what the neph makes, so they should listen to you.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »

Sounds like you have a similar staff as mine.  There are a few exception in duties however.  The dietician comes by at least weekly and comes and sits and discusses issues right after the labs come out.  They takes labs twice monthly unless there is a special request.  One of mine they do weekly because it has been requested by another doctor and I asked to not get stuck  for that.  There'll be too much sticking soon.  There are several dieticians and social workers on staff but there is a specific one assigned to each individual.  My neph rotates weekly with his father and a third neph on their staff so over a 3 week period i see them all.  They will stay as long as necessary.  I always have a list of questions and they alway tell me to call the office when I need something.   The techs hook me up as you said and only the nurse can hook up a catherter.  When you have a fistala you can choose who you want to stick you.  They will even come from another bay if you requests someone special.  By the way, this is the largest Davita center in America and they try and impress the corporated people anytime they can.  They refuse to wash my car while I'm on the machine.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »

Over here (New Zealand) when I did HD there were only nurses and they did absolutely everything.  The nephs popped in as did the dietician, but we have no techs that I'm aware of.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »

I saw the new dietitian today for the first time.  I have been going to the center for 2 months.  She went over my labs and spent some time answering my questions. 
Phraxis

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05:21 PM »

They were a master a the steak, white bread and red wine diet that got my potassium and phosphorus levels in line real quick.

Now I think I could live with a diet like that. Do you have any limit on the amount of red wine? A glass? A bottle?  :yahoo;

So far half a liter, if I am good and no coffee etc for the day. 5 cups per day. But steak and bread that I can I can have!
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »

It's too bad you haven't seen a dietician.  In my case, I saw a dietician roughly every other week, as my nephs struggled to balance my blood chemistry.  My dietician started me off with a stricter diet to help get my blood chemistry under control; but now that my blood chemistry actually looks reasonably normal, she has relaxed my dietary restrictions.

Now I'm even eating a banana occasionally, with no problems.
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »

You are right. The techs do seat you and hook you up. At my center, the new techs go through a daily on the job training for about 2 months, that is following around a lead tech for about 2 months before ever being allowed to touch a patient. I haven't found out how much training they get before coming to work at the clinic. The nurses are there to hook up the catheters, take vitals, do nursing assessments etc. You will see a dietitian.  The one at our center is not only really nice, but she's encouraging, and pretty as the day is long in July. The kidney diet must agree with me because I've been doing really well. It could be that I want to keep seeing that smiling face of our dietitian. I do eat at least 2 snickers bars a week. and it doesn't seem to make any difference. The question is "How many carrot sticks will it take to overcome the desire for one snickers bar?"  The answer is, "there is no amount sufficient." I do like the fact that we can eat White Bread, and any kind of cereal that previously was deemed "not as good for you" ; Cornflakes, frosted flakes. Rather than Whole Grain cereals. I was making my own Rice milk, for my cereal, 'cause store bought Rice milk is so expensive, but I found that "milk" made from non-dairy creamer, One part creamer, two parts water, Is better, and it's cheap. :clap;
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »

There are no techs in our centre here - just nurses, cleaners and maintenance men, with whistle stops from nephrologists and nutritionists!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »

TWO Snickers bars a week!!!!! Egads, I was so desparate for chocolate tonight that I made sugar free fat free pudding with 1% milk, and even allowed my husband to have one serving instead of just pouring it down my throat. How did you get to be so good that you can do that?

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »

Dark chocolate does not seem to affect my bloodwork. Strange isn't it?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »