I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Who does Steroid-free transplants?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who does Steroid-free transplants?  (Read 2570 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: May 12, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »

My neph is starting to talk about a pre-emptive transplant, but steroids are a sticking point for me. I had a very bad experience on prednisone in the past. I'd like to do some early homework to find out which centers don't use steriods. I found a lot of research information through a web search, but not much on specific centers that don't use them.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »

:waving; Deanne. Washington Hospital Center does not use prednisone. I belive you can go to the UNOS site and do a search there. There a lots of transplant centers that use induction therapy. Hope you find your answers and I'm sure others will be along to add to this. Good Luck.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »

Stanford does steroid free protocol. But it's a case by case basis. Apparently it won't work for everyone.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »

Every hospital has their own protocol and it can vary greatly. And it's true, they don't always approve every patient for steroid free transplants, so you need to ask what they would do for you.The 2 Los Angeles hospitals Jenna had been to did not offer steroid free - but the San Diego one did - which was a big relief, and that's who did her transplant. She's been 2 years and 4 months - no problems at all - so far so good!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
openboat

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »

You might want to look into open research studies at your center.  I'm on Belatacept and Rapamune as part of a study at Emory, I've been very happy with the lack of side effects since I'm not on Prograf, Cellcept or Prednisone.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »

Research studies are a great idea -- thanks! Thanks also for the other suggestions!

My neph said steriods are used at the center she'd refer me (Good Samaritan, Portland). She said they taper down to 5 mg pretty quickly, but that they don't take patients off them. I want to look for other options. When I was on prednisone to treat my kidney disease, I had muscle atrophy so badly that within a couple of weeks, it was difficult to get around. It was pretty scary. I'd just bought a multi-level townhouse and I thought I was going to end up in a wheelchair. Then I ended up in the hospital with a blood sugar level of 1500 (I'm not normally diabetic). I know my dose would be much lower after transplant, but if there's a chance of avoiding prednisone altogether, I'll grab at it!

I hope I'm still a couple years away from ESRD and hopefully things will change at my local center between now and then. Otherwise, the implications could be interesting -- would I need to permanently move to be near my center of choice since I'll likely need to go on the list (can't schedule a date in advance with an approved donor)? I don't want to move, but I want to have as healthy a life as I can.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »

As stated before, the center may use steroid free protocol, but you may have to go on them if you do not react well to the medications used. Steroids was a major concern for me too when looking for a trnasplant center and at the time, only one of the 5 centers in Chicago offered a steroid free protocol. Now that is diferent here. Some start off with a steroid and scale you down and stop. I was never on any of the steroid suppresants and have been on CellCept and Prograf for over 8 years. At my center, the will use Prograff, CellCept, Rapamune combinations of 2 or just one med, but that depends on each person. The best way to find out is to call the centers and ask or if they have transplant seminars, go to them for more information and questions. American Transplant Association has a list of transplant centers across the US in a book they hand hand out that contains other information pre and post tx.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012