I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:32:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Tattoos
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 9091 times)
hyperlite

« on: July 17, 2006, 07:41:20 PM »

Quick question: does anyone know if it is ok to get a Tattoo while on dialysis? Has anyone here gotten one while on dialysis (I don't mean during dialysis... :P). I'm just wondering about transplant issues...and things like that.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:52:23 PM »

I do know when i mentioned getting one they told me it wasnt a good idea because of the heparin they give me, something about the blood thinning, i dont know i dont listen to them, lol,  that is why i always ask the members here :)
When i had my evaluation with the Transplant Center Director, whoever she was, she did ask me if i had tattoos and how long ago did i get them, didnt ask why, but i remember specifically cuz mom was there and i had to reveal how long i had them, lol..........Please, before you do ANYTHING,  check with your Neph, K.....  Good Luck

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:16:40 AM »

Heph was told definately no more tatoos. Something about blood poisoning and you being at a greater risk because the toxins don't get washed out so quick. That was here in England though, you may have different rules over there!

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 11:38:45 PM »

ok I know someone who does tat's and knowing what I know .. you could .. but any dialysis doc would be against it. Basically why push your luck is their point of view. But if you want one bad enough .. just research your tatoo guy to make sure he uses clean utensils and all that ... be smart and buyer beware!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
GuyIncognito

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:58:56 AM »

I have two tattoos, which I got done before I was on Dialysis but I have had a touch up done on one recently, I never mentoined it to my doc but there were no side effects or unusual bleeding so I'd say as long as your not on blood thinners you should be Ok.
onesicpup

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 12:52:24 PM »

I would be more concerned with the cleanliness and knowledge of the tattoo artist in regards to infection.
I believe my docs were more concerned about hepatitis C. I am not on dialysis yet, but I did notice that over the stretch of time that I got my tats as my function decreased, the healing took longer and longer.
Python

Bobby the Python

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 04:49:55 PM »

My son was thinking about getting a tat - he's on dialysis.  Knowing him, he'll just go and get it done then tell everyone later.  Over here in the UK Tattoo Artists are strictly monitored.  I've got several and have never had a problem yet.  The Tattooist who did mine is very hygiene conscious and uses pre-packed sterile needles, scrubs up and wears latex gloves.  His office is spotlessly clean.

If you are going to get a Tat, always make sure you go to a reputable Tattoo Artist.

Alports Syndrome - A Rare Breed Indeed!!!
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:41:48 PM »

:o huh???? and mess up my body??? Maybe in my next life..when I am not such a whimp for pain...Sassy
thom

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:02:19 AM »

it's probably better that you don't. i have a lip piercing which i have to keep really clean because of risk of blood infections n whatever. i'd really like a tatoo though :(
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:56:07 PM »

Unless you are on blood thinners there should be no problem, but you will still bleed some if you get one.  On of the most important things you want to watch out for is that your tattoo parlor of choice uses new needles for each person.  You do not want a place that just autoclaves there needles.  They claim it "cleans" them, but there is too much room for human error for my liking.  Gross comparison, but that's like someone saying I just scrubbed the toilet you can drink out of it if you like.  It could never be "cleaned" enough for me.

It's not easy being green.
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »

I agree with most everyone else. Tatoos are great and I have two! I got them after transplant though. But yeah, the bleeding might be a problem. But it's not like the needle goes way in or anything.

Again, findingi someone that's clean and has a good conscience about that stuff. Then weigh the pros and cons for yourself. I love the body art. I say go for it if you are relatively healthy!

Well, except for the dialysis, kidney failure, and stuff!!  ;)

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 02:49:29 AM »

On TV right now they are talking about the safety of getting a tattoo and the risk for infection! This made me think of this thread because right now they are saying how they are not regulated and that when health inspectors check them out, they honestly do NOT know what to look for in terms of infection prevention!

They check to see .. yup they use gloves! BUT!!!!!! They don't see that the tat techs tend to touch everything after they put the gloves on! They were saying this on this health show! It is very important to check the shop out first and watch them do a tat on someone (with permission of the customer getting the tat of course) and make mental notes in your head of the good and bad things with the company!

Hope that helps!  :bump;

Again, findingi someone that's clean and has a good conscience about that stuff. Then weigh the pros and cons for yourself. I love the body art. I say go for it if you are relatively healthy!

Ya  :thumbup; exactly!!  :clap;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 03:07:10 AM »

Unless you are on blood thinners there should be no problem, but you will still bleed some if you get one.  On of the most important things you want to watch out for is that your tattoo parlor of choice uses new needles for each person.  You do not want a place that just autoclaves there needles.  They claim it "cleans" them, but there is too much room for human error for my liking.  Gross comparison, but that's like someone saying I just scrubbed the toilet you can drink out of it if you like.  It could never be "cleaned" enough for me.
Wouldn't flushing a reusable kidney pose the same risks?

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 12:33:51 PM »

That thought had crossed my mind as well.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 01:53:10 PM »

I have many tattoos, never had a problem with infection although it is a risk. A professional artist will always use new needles right from the bag and he/she will open them in front of you. Also they will wear gloves and no matter what they touch other than you, they will put on new gloves immediately. I have not had any tattoos done since being on my medicines, but I am thinking seriously of getting 3 more.  I have my Dads portrait and his memorial on my Lower left leg, and I want to add my Mothers portrait next to his.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 06:56:35 PM »

cool :) You should show us pics ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 07:13:32 PM »

Please no.  No pictures.   :P

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 11:45:18 AM »

Yes I agree completely.  There is too much room for human error in the "cleaning" process of dialyzers.  Reuse dialyzers should be tagged with the patients name so the same dial goes to that same patient for the life of that dial, so getting someone else's dial shouldn't be an issue.  Things do happen though, and most people won't own up to a mistake they just try to cover it up to save their butts.  When the dials are reused they use a very harsh and high level disinfectant to clean them.  The chemicals are so bad a gas mask has to be worn by the reuse tech so they can breath.  I believe this process to be better than just spinning or autoclaving all the blood out, but I would never allow a reuse dial to be used on me.

It's not easy being green.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 07:05:54 PM »

cool :) You should show us pics ;)

I may start a thread for tattoo pics, but I need to take some pictures first.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 05:22:16 AM »

Yes I agree completely.  There is too much room for human error in the "cleaning" process of dialyzers.  Reuse dialyzers should be tagged with the patients name so the same dial goes to that same patient for the life of that dial, so getting someone else's dial shouldn't be an issue.  Things do happen though, and most people won't own up to a mistake they just try to cover it up to save their butts.  When the dials are reused they use a very harsh and high level disinfectant to clean them.  The chemicals are so bad a gas mask has to be worn by the reuse tech so they can breath.  I believe this process to be better than just spinning or autoclaving all the blood out, but I would never allow a reuse dial to be used on me.
I have replied to this but in this thread (relevant).

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »