I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 11:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  New, headaches, sweaty, vomiting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New, headaches, sweaty, vomiting  (Read 2244 times)
jtclarey

« on: April 18, 2009, 08:17:49 AM »

Hi,

I have only been on dialysis for two weeks after having both kidneys removed for cancer. I had about one week of dialysis in the hospital and one week at the local dialysis center.

Two of the 4 times at the local center I have gotten a very bad headache, very hot, sweaty, panting like a dog, very weak, very sensitive to bright lights, vomiting. I was not able to complete the 4 hours either time. Blood pressure was a little high, temperature was normal.

Other than weakness, I never had such a reaction during the inpatient sessions at the hospital.

I have not seen a local nephrologist yet, they are scheduled to visit this week, but I am dreading going to dialysis on Monday because I really can't stand it if I have the same reaction again.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Jeff
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »

The most common cause of those symptoms is dehydration from too much fluid removal.  It's a bit counter-intuitive, but it is possible to cause your blood pressure to shoot up when you are too dehydrated.  I know this is all new to you, but you need to learn as much as you can about fluid gains and how they figure out your dry weight.  See if you can get the records for what dry weight they were using at the hospital.  Maybe they weren't trying to pull as much fluid off you in the hospital.  Even if they are using the same dry weight goal, you may be dressing differently for in-center.  (I assume you aren't still wearing those fashionable open-backed gowns to your center.)  Shoes and jeans can weigh a lot more than you think.  They may need to adjust your dry weight to reflect what you wear.

Hang in there, Jeff.  The first month is hard for everyone.  It does get easier.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »

WOW, having both kidneys removed means you went from urine output to NONE.  That is a big shock to your system and fluid removal is hard to determine.  When I start to feel hot and fidgety I have them take my BP and if it is under 100 (98/55) then I have them stop pullling fluid. Vomiting will make your BP go up. Stoping the fluid removal is called shutting off the Ultrafiltration or UF.  In about 20 to 30 minutes they start pulling fluid again which gives the cells time to transfer more fluid into the blood to be pulled out.

Watch your fluid intake so they don't have to pull a lot off.  Pulling lots of fluid off between runs is hard on your heart and body and will make you feel like crap.

I think it is 3% of your dry weight.  So if you are 100kg then you can gain 3 kilos between runs.  I am 50kg so I can only put on 1.5kg between runs.... although it is more like 2kg's.   >:D  sometimes 3....

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:28:35 AM by Rerun » Logged

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »

I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.  But I think jbeany is right. My dad got really bad like that the first two times they started to remove fluid. I am really sorry you have to go through that.  :cuddle;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Wallyz

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

Agree with the idea that these symptoms are connected to fluid removal. Ask forTell them you want a higher dry weight.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »

I started my dialysis treatments as an outpatient dialysis patient at the hospital. Things were going well until I was transferred to an outpatient clinic. Then I was experiencing everything you are describing. It wasn't fluid related for me though. The new clinic wasn't following the orders the hospital had for me. I can not run any faster than a 250 machine speed and 600 dialysate flow without major problems. The clinic decided from day one that that wasn't acceptable, so they ran me at a higher speed and flow. And guess what? Headache, vomiting, shaky, etc. It has since been straightened out thankfully.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »

Good Luck Jeff.  I hope you get it figured out quick!  It sounds like you're having a miserable time!   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »

Definitely sounds like the dry weight is way too low. I've had that happen before and it's almost always due to too much fluid being taken off - maybe you've put on weight - or more likely since you're so new to it your proper dry weight (weight post dialysis) has not been established.. so you TELL THEM to up your dry weight because of what's going on. I'm surprised they've left you with those symptoms more than once.. heck yesterday I had a low BP during treatment and the nurse went bananas already suggesting maybe I'd put on weight and all that. At least we had a rational discussion about it and formed a game plan.

Having both kidneys removed.. wow that's a big change... yikes.. I hope you can be sorted out soon to become stable on dialysis rather than enduring crashes and cramp which suck.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
angellady07

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »

I agree you need to have your dry weight increased.  I've experienced what you described when they try to remove too much fluid. Although, I have headaches with almost every treatment. Eventually, you will know how much fluid your body can tolerate being removed. Best of luck to you I hope your problem is resolved soon.  How was dialysis today?   :waving;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »