I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  permcath removal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: permcath removal  (Read 11314 times)
staceyand joe92

« on: March 28, 2009, 07:35:44 PM »

I am finally having my permcath removed on Tuesday.  I have to admit I am more nervous than I am excited.  I have heard stories good and bad from other dialysis patients and nurses at my unit.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »

When my surgeon removed it, I was very nervous too. The whole procedure took a couple of minutes. I felt some pulling but no pain. I hope yours goes very well too.

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
cookie2008

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »

My surgeon numbed me and removed the permacath within a few minutes and put pressure at the site, it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
slk76

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:22:48 PM »

I am finally having my permcath removed on Tuesday.  I have to admit I am more nervous than I am excited.  I have heard stories good and bad from other dialysis patients and nurses at my unit.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?
I had mine removed after having it for 18 months, it wasn't a big deal, but it was a little sore after.  I noticed from your post that all your donors have been denied are they ABO incompatible or it is antibodies? Where do you live? (if there is somewhere I should have seen that info I apologize I'm new to the forums)
Wallyz

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 01:06:07 AM »

Yeah, pressure, soreness for a couple days. It's worth it.
staceyand joe92

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:04:17 AM »

Thank you .....I feel much less nervous now.  As much as I love not being stuck with the needles and using the catheter....it is time for it to come out. I NEED A REAL SHOWER!

I am living in southern AZ right now. My transplant center is in Phoenix.  I have been denied matches for both blood type and crossmatch. I have a soldier waiting on our crossmatch test right now. My husband was deployed with him in Iraq last year.   We should know early this week. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:27:29 PM by staceyand joe92 » Logged

PKD
6 living donors denied
Savemeimdtba

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »

Hey, I just got my permacath removed about a week ago and I was really nervous as well. It didn't hurt at all, just a little pressure, your mind telling you it should hurt is the hardest part.  It will be worth it when you get in that shower!  I was scared during that first shower as well since we've had to fear of God put in us about staying away from water for so long but you will get used to it again :) Good luck!

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »

Just make sure the lidocaine has taken effect before they start cutting.  On my first removal it hadn't taken effect and I yelped like a banshee when he started cutting!
slk76

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »

Thank you .....I feel much less nervous now.  As much as I love not being stuck with the needles and using the catheter....it is time for it to come out. I NEED A REAL SHOWER!

I am living in southern AZ right now. My transplant center is in Phoenix.  I have been denied matches for both blood type and crossmatch. I have a soldier waiting on our crossmatch test right now. My husband was deployed with him in Iraq last year.   We should know early this week.

well Jill I really hope that soldier can come through for you!  IF NOT please let me know and I can tell you more about incompatible transplants at Cedars-all of the treatments are MEDICARE approved in CA!! You don't have to pay :)
You might have a kidney sooner than you think :)
staceyand joe92

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »

I had the permcath removed today. Thanks for all of your encouragement. It wasn't that bad. LOTS of pressure but no pain.  I'm so glad to have that thing out of my chest. The doc said I can take a shower tomorrow. YEAH!

PKD
6 living donors denied
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »