I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  I'm new. . .
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm new. . .  (Read 2261 times)
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« on: April 07, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »

I am a 60 year old male. I would like to think that the people at my clinic have my best interests at heart , but I do weigh 300 lb and am made to go for 5 hr. a treatment. I know that being a large person, it takes a lot of dialysis. A Guess. . . But, starting at about 4 hr. I have to pee really bad. I wear overalls and I have to pull them down to to pee effectively. What's more is when I have been holding for a while, it's harder for me to go. In addition, when I've been on dialysis for four hours all I can think about is getting the hell out of there. I would like to know, what is the difference? If I sign off every treatment AMA at 4 hr. what will happen? What can I do, other than losing a hundred lb. to make it go back to 4 hr.? They said that after being on dialysis for a while I wouldn't have to go at all. I don't know if that's something to look forward to or not.  :'( I hate to think this way, but does the facility get more money the longer I stay on? I've been doing my best to keep my numbers with in proper range. I've been going to dialysis for almost a year.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:57 PM »

:waving; Hurlock

I dont have the answers your looking for.  But im pretty sure someone may be able to give you some information.

But welcome to IHD.  The #1 site for dialysis related information and a great place to just hang out and learn about CKD.  And also to just have a good laugh.
Hope to see you on many of the threads.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »

Welcome Hurlock, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »

Hurlock.  The clinic can put partitians around you so you can pee in a jug or you can ask to go to the bathroom and they return your blood and let you go and then hook you back up for your last hour.  There are things that can be done.  Don't give up. 

It is true that after your kidneys fail more and more you produce less and less urine.  It is not a good thing because then you are on more and more fluid restriction and you can drink less and less fluid.

:welcomesign;

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »

:welcomesign; hurlock1. I hope you find the information you are looking for and we are a great source of support. Unfortunately, today is not one of my more talkative days so I will have to come back.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »

I agree with Rerun.  Several people in my clinic still pee quite a bit, and they are always asking to be taken off the machine, they go pee, and then get put back on.  I agree with you, also, in that losing the weight is a good thing.  I'm trying to get on the transplant list, and although I've lost over 50 pounds, they still want me to lose more.  At UCLA the requested BMI is 30, so I still have about 30 pounds to go.  It's not that they won't take me before that if my number comes up, but I stand a better chance (in their mind) of coming through the surgery with less weight.

Oh, yeah, welcome aboard!!!!!
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »

:welcomesign;       I've been in several centers with people that had to be on 5 hours and one I know would ask to come off mid way, take care of their needs and then back on...you are in charge.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
cookie2008

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »

:welcomesign; During my treatment they take me off when I ask them to and I use the restroom and then they put me back on to finish my treatment.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:09 PM »

If ever I have to go to the bathroom, they will take me off and let me go and then hook me right back up, it is not a big deal and they should not make you feel like it is a big deal either!   Oh and welcome to IHD!  :)   We all look forward to getting to know you better! :waving;

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Wallyz

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:37:41 PM »

Welcome.  Where in New Mexico are you? I grew up in Los Alamos.

Dotto what every one said about unhooking and hooking back up.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »

:welcomesign;  Hurlok.  I hope you get the answers you are looking for.  This is a terrific site and we truly care about each others problems, including yours.  I hope you get this resolved quickly.  I look forward to hearing more from you.   :waving;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »

It's not good for you to be holding like that so you definitely should ask to be taken off so you can go, or they can isolate you off and you can use a .. ohcrap I have no idea what they are called, but the pee container things!! LOL I've seen that done, or more normally as others have said above they disconnect you and you zip off to the bathroom then come back.

They're "making" you do 5 hours because you clearly need as much dialysis as possible. I do 5 hour sessions too, so trust me I understand your pain, though my dry weight is 77.5kg so I'm nowhere near your size. I think in the medium term for your own health you should investigate ways to lower your own weight because that will be having an effect on your either health (but I'm sure you've been told that over and over - so I don't want to sound like another one telling you what to do!!). I would not recommend leaving at 4hours. Yes, of course you CAN do that - but you will be marked as non compliant to your dialysis (not very good if you're hoping for a transplant at some point, let alone anything else) and you probably will feel much worse for missing 20% of your treatment. You also may not be able to take so much fluid off (though if you are still passing quite a bit this may not be so much of an issue).

And it is true that for the vast majority of us output definitely decreases after dialysis starts. I only go around 2-3 times a day - if that. Certainly a 5 hour session at dialysis is no issue I never have the need to go (sadly!).

Hang in there!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 10:54:26 AM »

:waving;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »

:welcomesign;  Glad you joined IHD.  It looks like you have gotten some really good replies already.  There is always someone here that has had similar experiences and are willing to help.  Looking forward to reading more posts from you.   :2thumbsup;

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »