I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Infections in dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Infections in dialysis.  (Read 1983 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: March 31, 2009, 07:14:46 AM »

This is not a nice subjects to talk about but it has to be faced. I keep hearing that infections in dialysis are dangerous. I have not yet reached the stage of dialysis yet, so this subject frightens me. I am not clear what is meant by infections. Are we talking about general infections the flu or worse, or are we talking only about infecting the site, or something else, in the body where dialysis takes place? How do these infections occur? Does the patient cause the infection? Or, is it another person, or is it an infected piece of apparatus? And, how are these infections dealt with, and how serious can they be? In short, I would like to know as much about this subject as possible in order to prepare myself for the time ahead. Thank you, Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »

An infection in the catheter line that travels into the hart when a subclavian or jugular vein catheter is used, would be the most dangerous and prone infection.   Often it can affect the heart directly.  Also line infections are no fun at all.  Often staph resistant bacteria can get into the area.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »

Infections can result any time there is a break in your body's defenses.  When they poke you with the needles, they are breaking through your skin and that can be a source of entry for infection.  If you use a catheter for dialysis, the site where the catheter enters your body can become infected.  An infection with the catheter can easily go directly to the heart as kitkatz stated.  Any of these infections can get into your bloodstream and cause a very serious problem.  PD catheters are also an entry for bacteria and the entire abdomen (where your internal organs are all located) can become infected (peritonitis).

This is why it is so important to make sure that  both you and anyone who comes near you knows what they are doing and uses good techniques.  Often the infections are caused by resistant bacteria and can be very difficult to treat, so it is best to avoid them altogether if you can.

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »

I feel if a person has good personal hygiene you are ahead of the game.  I've never had an infection in any of my catheters.  Do not let them scare you.  Just be as clean as you can and there is nothing else you can do except know the signs of an infection so you can jump on it.

RELAX      :waving;

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »

and make sure anyone touching you uses good habits..like clean gloves every time they go to something different..make sure they are using gloves and good handwash tech..just watch everyone including yourself.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 06:09:46 AM »

Thank you very much kitkatz, David13, Rerun and G-Ma for the extremely important information you gave me about infections in dialysis. This is what is so impressive about IHD, that a simple but important question can be answered so quickly and precisely without ambiguity or confusion. I can't thank you enough. Kind regards from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »