I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Graft Problems (AGAIN!!!)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Graft Problems (AGAIN!!!)  (Read 2677 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: March 26, 2009, 11:49:16 AM »

Many of you would know that a few months ago, I had an operation to re-situate my graft because the present one had an aneurysm.  At the time I was a bit concerned (to say the least) since the vascular surgeon was not here and another one had to do it.  Well, it all went quite well. 
However, last month, another aneurysm appeared on the new site, and one also on the venous area which had never had such a problem before.  In fact, it was the venous area that had to be used for both needles while the graft was healing!
The vascular surgeon said that he feels the problem is due to taking off the pressure bandages too quickly.  He said I should keep bandages on until the next day after dialysis.  All patients are now advised to do this as well.
So last week Tuesday, I entered the hospital.  Had my Wed dialysis Tuesday morning, and then was admitted to the surgical ward.  I was operated on Wednesday morning.  They used sedation rather than full anaethesia.
Wednesday evening, another doctor (not the lady surgeon who did the operation again) came and listened to my graft with a stethoscope.  He stood a long time, then said 'okay, you can go home'.   Somehow, I was concerned at the length of time he spent listening to my graft.  Many of you know that those things make a great deal of noise when they are functioning properly!
I went home, asked my grandson to listen to my graft.  He could hear nothing.  My daughter, nothing!
Next morning, Thursday, I went to the dialysis unit and asked the supervisor to listen with the stethoscope.  She said there was nothing happening there.  I told her to please let the surgeon know.
I soon got a call to see the surgeon at noon in her clinic.  She listened and heard nothing and said that there must be a clot since it was working at the end of the operation and in fact had spurted a bit on them!
She told me no eating after midnight and I had to return to hospital Friday morning at 7.00 a.m.
Back into to surgery again!   Then off to dialysis. 
Everything is now working fine.  They will not be able to use the new area for 3 weeks.  There is only about one inch at the top and one at the bottom that can now be used for dialysis.
The one at the top is nearly to my armpit.  And the needle hurt yesterday!!!!  The entire time!
I am reconsidering using lidocaine!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug;
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear this bajanne! I would like to strangle that surgeon who tod you it was okay to go home!!  :grouphug;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:37:51 PM »

I am sorry that all this happend to you.  I can go beat them up for you if you would like.   :boxing;

Sorry again.  But I am happy it is working again though  :thumbup;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »

:grouphug;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »

WOW you have been through the mill. I'm sorry you had to go through all this but hopefully it's all behind you now.   :grouphug;
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 04:58:52 PM »

Good grief..I hope this works for you...I'm curious about the pressure bandage...nurses and surgeon told me to take off the pressure bandages 2 hours post D and that is what I've been doing...how about the rest of you?

:grouphug;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:22:20 PM »

Bajanne, this is awful and distressing news.  I hope you have less pain very soon and I'm so sorry you're going through this.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »