I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Other crap that happens
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Other crap that happens  (Read 3610 times)
LifeOnHold

« on: August 10, 2005, 05:17:57 PM »

Some complications of long-term dialysis that have happened to me include: Hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, calcium deposits on my mitral valve, and left ventricle hypertrophy.

I had to have my parathyroids removed.  There are supposed to be four of them.  The surgeon found 3-- where was the other one?  Inside the left lobe of my thyroid, that's where! (That happens in about 1 out of a 1,000 patients... I'm always the 'lucky one.')  That's why I now have hypothyroid, because they took half of my thyroid out to get the last parathyroid gland.

They took frozen sections of my parathyroids and made slides of them for study, because they were all different sizes and colors, but were not cancerous.  (Usually, any variation in size/color means it's possible they're cancerous.)   I told my endocrinologist, "Well, I DO wear a lot of tie-dyed shirts... maybe that's why they're all different colors!"   ;D

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 11:56:39 AM »

I don't think there's much left to happen..It all happened to me prior to kidney disease..Overcame it and now TheEndStage.Save the best for last I suspose...LOL..Sassy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »