I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Any experiences of Pregabalin (Lyrica) for pain?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any experiences of Pregabalin (Lyrica) for pain?  (Read 7867 times)
rose1999
Elite Member

« on: March 30, 2009, 11:26:09 PM »

My Dad has been prescribed Pregabalin for the severe pain he has in his toes due to blocked arteries/decreased circulation.  There seems to be nothing surgical that can be done and he had now been placed on pain control medication - Pregabalin and Tramadol BUT he has started to become very unsteady and over the last 2 weeks (since he's been home from hospital and on these tablets) he finds his leg muscles suddenly give out and he collapses in a heap.  Last night it was as he got out of the taxi (before they could get him into the wheelchair) and it took 3 people 20 minutes to get him into the house because he becomes a dead weight and can't help himself at all. 

I'm asking the GP to call today but I've looked at the side effects of Pregabalin and it seems weakness and lack of coordination of muscles is a possible side effect.  Dad's GP is not a helpful man (I wish he'd change but that's another story!) so I'd appreciate hearing any experiences so that we can decide whether or not Dad should give up this medication and seek alternative pain relief - and if so, does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks for any help,suggestions or support.
Rose x :bunny:
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:46:03 AM »

Keep on them.  Something is not right.

:cuddle;

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:24:15 AM »

I have heard so many stories like this about drug effects in older folks.  It seems completely logical to me that the drug is causing this, especially if it just began.  No drugs are tested on the elderly, but I think they are increasingly learning that drug effects can be amplified or diminished in the elderly.  For example, an older person may not break a drug down as quickly as someone in their 40s or 50s. 

Are the drugs helping with the pain?  Would it be possible to adjust the dose down? 
 :grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:52:33 AM »

That's what's so sad - the drugs are helping big time with the pain but he's only on 50mg - the lowest is 25 but they did talk about staring at 50 and going UP - the GP is calling by this afternoon, I'll keep you posted.
Thanks both for taking the time to reply. It helps when you know you're not alone with your worries  :grouphug;.
Rose xx
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:14:26 AM »

Side effects are sometimes worse than the condition they help. My mom was on Lyrica for nerve pain due to diabetes. She had a run of bad health last September and during that time, the Lyrica was switched to Neurontin. Although I had to call the kidney doctor because the dose she was given was twice the amount recommended for anyone with kidney problems. He decreased the dose from 600mg daily to 300mg daily. It helps and she seems fine.

I can't say specifically why they changed her med. They actually changed everything she was on because, quite frankly, they didn't know what was causing her condition. (Ended up being the insulin.) Though she did have trouble walking and was not steady standing so it could have been Lyrica too. Hospitals and doctors never want to be specific for fear of retribution. I still think we should pursue the old GP as far as the treatment of insulin.

take care Rose
Kim

Sorry, had to add that we also did not like our mother's GP. We finally switched because by that time, my mom didn't like him anymore either. It doesn't take much to switch. The hardest part is finding another doctor whom you will like. We initially tried to find a geriatric doctor, but the ones we wanted weren't takin new patients. Don't hesitate if you can't get the care you think your dad should be getting. I went through a lot with my dad - he had mom's old GP as well and I always wonder how things could have been different if we switched my dad. We are our parent's advocate.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:21:54 AM by ODAT » Logged

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »

Sorry to read this Rose.
Prayers for your dad and your family.
Wish i had more to offer.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »

I have heard of those side effects with some drugs. I used to take lyrica and didn't experience any side effects. Lyrica did not take the pain away either and I am healthier than your Dad. Then we tried gabapentin that helped for awhile then it stopped working. Now I take venlafaxine hcl 75mg twice a day and it helps relieve the pain in my legs from neuropathy. Hope they find the right drug.  :grouphug;  :grouphug;
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:23:39 PM »

Thanks again everyone.  The GP has taken Dad off the Lyrica and he already feels more steady - but he is now in pain again.  He has Tramadol to take until tomorrow (Thursday) when we see the consultant.  The GP has suggested a chemical sympathectomy(?sp) and we'll see what they say tomorrow.  I will ask about venlafaxine, I haven't heard fo that, thanks Sluff.
xxx
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:38 PM »

Sorry to hear Dad is still in pain, has he tried a TENs machine.  Maybe you could borrow one to try instead of buying as they are quiet expensive. Yvonne

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »

:grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »

Sorry to hear Dad is still in pain, has he tried a TENs machine.  Maybe you could borrow one to try instead of buying as they are quiet expensive. Yvonne
Yes we have tried one (I bought one for my late husband's cancer pain) but because the pain is in the toes it doesn't seem to work.  Thanks for the suggestion though. xx
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »

Thanks again everyone.  The GP has taken Dad off the Lyrica and he already feels more steady - but he is now in pain again.  He has Tramadol to take until tomorrow (Thursday) when we see the consultant.  The GP has suggested a chemical sympathectomy(?sp) and we'll see what they say tomorrow.  I will ask about venlafaxine, I haven't heard fo that, thanks Sluff.
xxx

Worst case scenario they can deaden some of the nerves. This is a last resort but My neurologist told me it can be done. Search the Internet, I'm not sure what it's called. They also talked about it for Christy because she has such bad nerve pain on the side of her face, but to do that on someones face could cause droopy mouth or the side of the face and numbness. The risk is not worth it on the face due to the possibility of disfigurement and muscle damage but I would think the legs or feet area would be worth the risk. Check into it.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »

They did mention a sympathectomy (or something like that) which deadens the nerves - as long as it only deadens the toes and not the whole foot so he can still walk.  I'll ask about it tomorrow when we see the surgeon, although this is the vascular surgeon and I think we'll need a referral to the pain surgeon for this one.  Thanks for bothering about us, I'll let you know how it goes.
xxx
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »

Hi everyone, just a quick update. 

Dad saw the vascular surgeon yesterday and he confirmed that a Sympathectomy is needed and has put him in for urgent referral so I hope it will be soon.  In the meantime he's put him on morphine for the pain, I hope it helps as the pain is so bad now he keeps vomiting so is also losing all the goodness from his food which he really needs to help build him up.  He's lost so much weight although he eats a good diet (so the dietitian has always said) Mum is marvellous but it is all begining to tell on her too with the sleepless nights, worry etc.  Please pray for a speedy and successful operation for him.

Thank you all. xxx  :bunny:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »