I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:25:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Starting dialysis
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starting dialysis  (Read 7220 times)
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »

:cuddle;  Cindy you are doing a great job. Starting dialysis is overwhelming and emotionally draining. I agree with Sluff saying you have come a long way and I am sooo happy you have.   :cheer: :cheer:

The time factor is a nightmare at first but it will soon become part of your daily routine. (I am doing an exchange as I type.) If you swap to nocturnal it will give your days back.

Good luck with the needles. They will be my biggest hurdle if/when I have to switch to haemo. Do you use the Elma cream first?

They give me xylocaine local but I hope I don't have to keep those up too long.  Had a mother of a headache last night but it has gone this morning.  My bloods are all over the place.  It is like my own kidney function kicked in again just before I started.  My urea and creatinine went right down again in the bloods I had done the day before I started.  My iron is down as well.  Probably why I struggled at the gym yesterday so they are going to give me some iron today.  Wondering if the headache is fluid being taken off that doesn't need taking off.  I'll check with them this morning when I go in.  Already looking forward to the day off tomorrow!!  Even though you are only doing the dialysis for three hours (going up to four today), they are training you for the first couple of hours before you get on and then coming off there is more training so you are there for best part of about six/seven hours.  Last night was the first time I was really tired and came home and went to bed early.  So all in all day three was not the best but let's see what day four has to offer!  xx     
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 06:59:29 AM »

four hours!!! I wish!!!  :rofl;

You are doing so well Lucinda it's great to know after all this time, struggle with your graft and everything, and anticipation... Hope it continues to go well!!! Oh and hope hubby is being understanding of you at this time - headaches and the like.

xoxoxox :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »

Lucinda,
It's nice to know you are adapting well to dialysis. I hope you and "Merlin" continue to get along well together. Good luck with the magazine. Can't wait to read it.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 02:27:13 PM »

Hi Cindy - thinking of you, hope you can enjoy your day off.  :-*

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »