I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  It's hypocondria when you think you are sick all the time. . .
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's hypocondria when you think you are sick all the time. . .  (Read 2866 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« on: March 07, 2009, 08:56:40 AM »

So what is when you think someone else is sick all the time?

I just had my one-year check up at my transplant hospital.  During my very first check-up, the lab tech doing the EKG insisted I needed to take the results to my regular doc ASAP - that I showed signs of heart damage and a possible heart attack.  I left the center thinking I wouldn't be able to get on the list because of heart problems.  I took the results to my doc, and he couldn't see any major problems.  All diabetic patients have to have yearly stress echos done to stay on the list anyhow, so my doc here scheduled it, and I did the test.  It all came back perfectly normal.
I did the same last year - EKG at the transplant hospital, and a stress echo done locally - all normal results.  Fast forward to this year.  I did the stress echo 2 days before I went to the transplant check up this time.  When I went for the EKG at the transplant hospital, oh goodie, it's the same tech as the first year I went - the one who scared me half to death.  Here we go again.  I laid on the table, got my EKG and she started in the minute she finished.  "Don't sit up.  Are you feeling okay?  Do you have any chest pains?  I'm going to check my results with a doctor.  Stay right here, don't move.. . . .blah, blah, blah. . "  She ran off with the print out to another tech, who shrugged off whatever she thought she was seeing.  "When was your last echo?"  When I said two days ago, she threw a bigger fit.  "They let you leave?  How could they do that?"  Then she ran off to find a doctor.  The doc looked at the scan, said it showed a slight abnormality, and said to send me home. (I had stood up and followed her out into the hall so I could hear his answer. I already know I have a slight heart murmur - so do a lot of other people - it's not that serious.)  She finally dragged herself back into the hall where I was waiting, and tried to convince me I needed to be pushed out to my car in a wheelchair.  I'd already walked at least 5 miles that day, just wandering around campus looking at museums, so I refused.  She asked me again if I felt okay.  Umm, yes.  (Other than the overwhelming urge to slap her, that is.)  So off I went to drive home, with her panting and whining behind me like a dog locked up by its master.
I got the official results of my echo from my local doc in the mail today - all normal, perfectly healthy.
I just wonder how many a people she panics in a week.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »

Complain to her Superior.  That's ridiculous. She's ridiculous.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »

Yes, complain about her. Report her to her superiors. Some of the center has a questionairs about their service, use those to and state her name, what happened, and how you feel. Luckily I never had that problem with my heat murmur.

Of course, I would have had to say something to her since I would have had a test done as you had prior to that visit to shut her up. She doesn't need to be scarring off people like that. That's bad for the center also what she does.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »

What's up with this? The techs aren't allowed to tell you anything because they're not trained. Ultrasound techs, ekg techs, even x-ray techs have told us that they cannot say anything.  I remember the x-ray tech when Rolando had broken his leg - that's two bones splintered, something even I could read.. The x-ray tech was quite clear that only a trained radiologist could read it and give us the results. What's up with yours?

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »

Get a rope!  :P
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »

Tell her if you have a heart attack you are going to hold her personally responsible. What an idiot!
                :Kit n Stik;

Dumbass tech      JBeany

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »

I definitely would be reporting her.  You should never have to go through that.  Having tests done is stressful enough without that kind of added pressure.  She is just pissed that she wasn't smart enough to do medicine so she reckons she'll behave like a doctor anyhow.  There are a lot of those around. Over-reactive pessimistic wannabe grim reapers who flunked med school and had to be satisfied with a tech alternative.  Not saying all techs are like her.....but there are a lot of "hers" out there! Sorry you had to go through that Jbeany. xx 
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »

I think I would have been tempted to respond with my personal diagnosis of her pathological anxiety, clearly requiring an immediate prescription for a powerful anti-anxiety medication to help her through her days and of course those long long nights.   :rofl;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »

Very unprofessional.   How many people a day is she terrifying?   And she gets paid to frighten the wits out of people?   I am not dealing with stupid people very well right now.   :Kit n Stik;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29:05 PM »

Whenever I've had x-rays, vein mapping, sonograms, whatever - especially during my testing to the on "the list" - I aways asked the tech if everything looked okay (curiosity gets the best of me) and all of them pretty much followed the same routine.  They would smile as they were wrapping up and say "The doctor will be back in a moment."  And they would leave or I would leave.  NEVER has a tech told me the results of my testings.  Never.

After transplant before I discharged they had me do a sonogram of my new kidney.  I asked the tech if this was normal and if everything looked okay.  He just said "We're almost done.  You'll talk to the doctor before you're discharged".

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »

Techs cannot say anything to you about test results.  What is with her?  :Kit n Stik;   I would get someone else next time.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »

Better yet, if you get her the next time, tell her you want someone with more experience/conduct/ insert your own words here.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »

Yes, what Chris said.  I don't want *&*&&*& as my technician and reason if needed.  I did that with a mammogram tech who hurt me...I was black and blue when she was done.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 08:09:56 AM »

Hmm. . . I hadn't thought of that - lab techs aren't supposed to discuss results, are they?  I'm going to send a note to my transplant coordinator, I think, see if she's had any other complaints about this flake.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:57 AM »

I remember when I was first diagnosed with CKD my GP sent me to have a sonogram of my kidneys. After it was completed, the tech turned to me and said that my kidneys looked fine and I shouldn't be worried.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »

I remember when I had the ultrasound on my cancerous kidney, the tech said nothing, called in a another tech to look and then a doctor to look and verify the scan. I found out later that day from my doctor that I had a stage 4 tumor on my kidney. The tech told me nothing.

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »