I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Australian Organ Donor Awareness Week
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Australian Organ Donor Awareness Week  (Read 2227 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« on: February 24, 2009, 03:08:36 AM »

This week (in Australia) is Organ Donor Awareness Week! Just posting for your info - I need not preach to people here about registering for organ donation!

:flower;

But if anyone wants to pass some links on to those "outside" our kidney world, the following may be helpful:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/services/aodr/index.jsp#N10092

And more info straight from the web:
If you require more information about any aspect of organ and tissue donation, please contact any of the following organisations:

•Australians Donate
•Kidney Health Australia
•HealthInsite
•NSW/ACT - LifeGift
•ACT – ACT Organ and Tissue Donation Service
•Vic/Tas – LifeGift
•Qld – Queenslanders Donate
•SA – South Australian Organ and Tissue Donation Agency
•NT – LifeNet NT
•WA – Donate West
 Australians Donate

Kidney Health Australia
Kidney Health Australia in your capital city
Ph: 1800 682 531
Email: vic@kidney.org.au

HealthInsite for reliable information about organ donation and other health topics.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »

And what's sad? I have heard or seen NOTHING about it around here. Heck I didn't even know.

that's totally pathetic (of both me, and Australia in general).

:Kit n Stik;

thanks for the heads up, CB!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »

And what's sad? I have heard or seen NOTHING about it around here. Heck I didn't even know.

that's totally pathetic (of both me, and Australia in general).

:Kit n Stik;

thanks for the heads up, CB!
Hey Richard You should have checked out my facebook page i put it on a couple of days ago ;D

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
babi68

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »

I knew it was on, but haven't seen any real advertising on the tv or newspaper. Today there was a walk around Lake Burley Griffin and a free BBQ, but I didn't get there in time. My bed was too comfy! So, maybe something will be on the local news tonight. Hopefully more people will sign up. LiZ :flower;
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »

I heard nothing either. I discovered it by accident.

What's even sadder - I asked at work (a cardiac clinic) if we could do something for the week. This request had to be taken to a management meeting (fair enough, I suppose) and careful consideration given in case we OFFEND anybody. Can you believe that? A cardiac clinic! WE HAVE TRANSPLANT (heart/heart-lung) PATIENTS!!!

I obtained some posters, brochures and other info. I then was advised that I could put ONE poster (A4 size) in one of those small plastic holders in the waiting room, along with some brochures, also in one small plastic holder. AND only for the week. Whilst I understand there are different views out there, no one is being forced to take the brochures home so I hardly see how it is offensive. I was very disappointed that the doctors of our practice, at the very least, did not actually embrace this. 
:waiting;
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 01:56:24 AM »

Hands up from another Aussie.  I am in the same boat as you Richard.  I knew nothing about it and I have heard nothing about it.  I know it is world kidney day next Thursday because that was the day I was going to originally start my dialysis but I certainly didn't know anything about organ donation week.  All I keep hearing about this week is the Ute Muster in Daniliquin and that is not on until October and of course the Mardi Gras on Saturday.  I reckon organ donation comes a long way down the list!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »