I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney transplant extends life for friend
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney transplant extends life for friend  (Read 1244 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 01, 2009, 09:09:07 AM »

Kidney transplant extends life for friend

The Herald-Dispatch

February 28, 2009 @ 09:45 PM

A little more than three years ago, Faith Johnson made good on a promise that many consider to be nothing short of a modern-day miracle. Through the generous donation of one of her kidneys, Johnson gave a fellow church member the gift of a healthy normal life again. While her actions were a most extraordinary act of compassion, Johnson just simply calls it listening to the voice of God. She also feels that each of us could listen a little better to the voice of God when He speaks to us about helping others in our church and community.

Because of that donated kidney, Harold Blankenship now enjoys a much improved standard of living. His days are now brighter and fuller because of a most wonderful gift provided by Faith Johnson. "She is a most outstanding generous lady who finds delight in giving happiness to others," said Blankenship, who was receiving regular kidney dialysis treatments before the transplant. He honestly believes that he would have never reached his 58th birthday without the benefit of that kidney transplant.

"To be honest with you, I didn't know Mrs. Johnson too well before she approached me about giving up one of her kidneys. I was totally amazed with her generosity. She is simply a most remarkable individual. My quality of life has improved dramatically, and my energy level has returned to where it once was. I no longer need those dialysis treatments, and I'm now able to spend time working around the house and garage doing things that I thought I would never be able to do again."

This story took root in November 2004 at Antioch Baptist Church in Ona. With each passing Sunday, the congregation couldn't help but notice that Blankenship's health was fading. His wife Charlene only had one kidney, and testing revealed that his daughter's kidney was not a match. They had exhausted all means for a transplant and finally decided to just try and make the best of the situation.

"His skin color seemed to look worse each Sunday. He just appeared to be moving slower. Even his posture didn't look normal. He was only 57 at the time, but could have passed for someone much older," said Johnson. "When I asked him what seemed to be his problem, he told me that he needed a kidney. Soon after that, I told him if one of my kidneys would work, then he could have it. You should have seen the look on his face. A few weeks later in church, this elderly lady whom I had never met came up to me with the sweetest embrace -- it was Harold's mother. I knew then that I was doing the right thing."

At the time, Johnson was a 50-year-old mother of three grown children who totally supported their mother's decision. As a matter of fact, the entire Johnson family are registered organ donors.

Johnson's mother, Mrs. Jeff Stevens, says that her daughter Faith is one in a million. "We supported her decision right from the very beginning. She is just a remarkable person. She has always believed if you want something and you don't get it, then it was not God's wish for you to have it."

The first trip to Ohio State University Medical Center was during the fall of 2005. A small caravan of family, friends and Johnson's family physician, Dr. Teresa Thacker headed for Columbus, where a series of tests were performed to determine compatibility for both donor and recipient. In addition, tissue testing and several types of blood screening were completed to assure the kidney would not be rejected. On Friday, Dec. 9, 2005, Faith Johnson's kidney was carried to an adjacent operating room where Harold Blankenship lay waiting with a team of doctors to make the transplant complete.

Johnson and Blankenship have since became close friends who share an occasional Sunday dinner with their families. They have also been invited to speak together before several local groups.

"Both Harold and I enjoy the privilege of speaking about the benefits of helping those in need," said Johnson. "It doesn't need to be an organ transplant. It could be something as small as a get well card that shows your concern. A simple phone call or as little as a few kind words. I tell everyone to just bake someone a cake if you don't know what to do. Miracles don't always have to be big to make a difference."

Lowell Johnson has been a member of Antioch Church for over 50 years and says the Faith Johnson is a true blessing. "She is a top-notch individual who is quite active in church with the choir and teaching adult religion classes. Her decision to donate a kidney is just the kind of person she is."

Rev. Pete Davidson is now resident pastor at Huntington City Mission. Prior to that, he was assistant pastor at Johnson's church where he witnessed her faith in action. "Her gift of a kidney doesn't surprise me," said Davidson. "Mrs. Johnson was always giving of herself around the church, especially helping the youth groups. The world needs more people just like her."

One of Johnson's favorite scripture passages is Psalm 37, verse 4, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give thee the desires of your heart." It was Faith Johnson's desire to give a new life to Harold Blankenship.

Clyde Beal is a freelance writer living in Huntington. Always interested in stories of community members who make a difference. Write him at: archie350@verizon.net.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x1907743085/Kidney-transplant-extends-life-for-friend

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »