I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  'Flipper' star helps Westland woman make a splash
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Flipper' star helps Westland woman make a splash  (Read 1187 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 22, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »

'Flipper' star helps Westland woman make a splash

BY PATRICIA MONTEMURRI • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • March 22, 2009

For Marie Leinonen, who depends on kidney dialysis to stay alive, a chance this month to swim with dolphins represented another accomplishment in her goal to live a full life in spite of kidney disease.
Advertisement

With help from her family, and an assist from onetime child actor Luke Halpin, who starred in the 1960s TV show "Flipper," Leinonen frolicked with dolphins on a recent visit to Miami Seaquarium.

"It was the most beautiful experience I ever had," said Leinonen, of Westland. "Not only did I get to swim with the dolphins, it was my birthday. It couldn't have been any better. It was like a double-fudge chocolate birthday cake."

Leinonen, who turned 46 on March 7, celebrated by feeding herring to the dolphins, and held onto one as it pulled her across a pool.

Before a disease known as focal sclerosis hardened the kidney tissues that filter impurities from her blood, Leinonen used to scuba dive in the Great Lakes. She dreamed of exploring other waters, and fantasized about visiting with dolphins up close. Plus, she said, she's a natural lover of waterlife, since her zodiac sign is Pisces, symbolized by two fish.

Dolphins are actually mammals, and their intelligent, friendly nature was highlighted in "Flipper," which ran from 1964 to 1967. Halpin, who played older brother Sandy Ricks in the series, lives across the street from Leinonen's father, Al Bogaert, in Florida.

When her dad told Halpin about her daydreams, Halpin volunteered to arrange a complimentary trip for her to swim with the dolphins at Miami Seaquarium's Dolphin Harbor, a package that can cost about $200 per person.

Leinonen starting lifting soup cans to build up her arm strength.

"I did repetitions of 10 and worked up to 60, so I could make my arms strong so I could hang on to that dolphin," she said.

Even being tethered to a dialysis machine for 3 1/2 hours three days a week, Leinonen said, doesn't mean a kidney patient has to hold back on dreams and goals. Leinonen has struggled with constant setbacks and complications, including two failed kidney transplants.

"She's like the Energizer bunny. She just keeps going," her sister, Jean Powe, said.

Leinonen's sons were only 2 and 5 when she first went on dialysis. Now divorced, but still close to her ex-husband, she worked as a hairdresser for many years. Her family has sustained her, she said, including her mother, Arlene Young, "who's been at my side through every step."

"I've had wishes granted. Life is good. I've seen my sons grow up. I've got a granddaughter. I swam with the dolphins," says Leinonen. "Life deals you some lemons, but I've made lemonade."

Contact PATRICIA MONTEMURRI at 313-223-4538 or pmontemurri@freepress.com.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »

Great story.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »