I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Nocturnal dissapointment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nocturnal dissapointment  (Read 4580 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: February 09, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »

Almost since I started home dialysis, I've wanted to do it at night. I had, and still have, the option of switching to NHHD, but I would have to use a conventional machine. I simply don't have space for all the additional supplies, and I can't afford the electric and plumbing changes needed to use a full-sized machine. For the last year or so, I've always been hearing from my nurses, "Just a few more months until the FDA approves nocturnal on NxStage", well, I talked to my nephrologist today about it, and she said absolutely NOTHING is being done, and the FDA probably will never approve NxStage for nocturnal because it is so different from conventional hemodialysis. I don't know who's right, my neph, or my nurses. I'm beginning to think my neph is correct. I know some patients are doing "extended treatments", but my doctor won't prescribe it and Duh-Vita won't let me do it. So for the foreseeable future, since PD won't work for me, it looks like it's either in-centre, or short-daily. I won't return to in-centre, so it looks like I'm stuck with short daily, even though I know that nocturnal is better. It's frustrating when I seriously can't select the type of treatment that I know would be best for me.

Adam 

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:35:46 PM »

That sucks Adam. Is nocturnal available in-center? I know you don't want to be there, but perhaps it would be a different experience.
I'm sorry but I cannot recall - why are you not waitlisted?
Sending you hugs  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:14:29 PM »

No machine is approved by the FDA to provide nocturnal dialysis. If they have a nocturnal program using another machine but won't do it with the cycler that makes even less sense then usual.

It was only very recently that the FDA has began to think of nocturnal as a separate indication. When does a treatment become nocturnal? When the sun goes down? When the person falls asleep? At 5 hours? 6 Hours? A 7 hours and 59 minutes? What is the difference from the point of view of a medical device between a three hour dialysis treatment and a 4 hour dialysis treatment?

Sorry Adam but I really thought you could have vented a bit more. I really think they haven't thought this through and are badly misguided.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »

:Kit n Stik;

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »

what is short daily?
noturnal is not coming to Conroe
I would love to try it.
the closet place is too far to drive
do you short daily at home
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »

Adam,
I hear your frustration, and Marvin and I are right there with you.  We've been asking, asking, asking for over a year about nocturnal home hemo (Marvin's been on home hemo for about 20 months).  We keep hearing, "Not yet.  It's not approved.  Maybe soon."  We hear this from his home hemo nurse and his nephrologists.  We just want to Grrrrrrr... every time we hear this response.

Marvin and I LOVE home hemo, but now that it (HHD) has improved Marvin's health so much, he's once again a busy, busy man every day.  We keep saying to each other, "If we could do this at night, it would be perfect -- perfect for our busy lifestyle and even more perfect for his overall health (with the extended treatments)."  But, we usually feel that the two of us are the only ones listening to us.  Frustrating!  We think NHHD would be so much better.  When will the medical community start listening and actually do what's best for the PATIENT ??
Wallyz

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »

Adam- they are full of shit.  If you want to get some of the benefits of extended, you can do a slower six our session, and do a second smaller bolus of heparin at 3 hours.  Talk with your neph. but be pushy.  Give headaches.  Talk to other centers around.

Don't let their fear of change keep you from getting the therapy you need.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »

What would actually be involved in going from short daily to nocturnal?  Does it require more supplies that have to be prescribed?  How frustrating to have the dinosaurs saying no.  They should be extinct by now.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Wallyz

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »

The two changes are the cartridges (CAR 171's instead of CAR 170's)  and  a heparin pump. (Medfusion 2001 or 2010)   The big issue is the heparin pump.  They are $1200 refurbed.

You can do it without the pump by doing boluses ever few hours.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »

The idea of getting my own heparin pump and connecting it to the port on the dialyzer on the CAR 170 came to mind, but one, I cant afford a heparin pump, and two, I'm not THAT rebellious. I have done a few four hour treatments if I've missed two days in a row, and I just give myself a second bolus of heparin at two hours. I could probably be more pushy, but sometimes I think I'm too nice. I know sometimes one must push until they piss people off so much, they get what they want so they'll shut up  :banghead; I think I need to practice pissing these people off who are stopping me from doing the treatment that I know will be best for me.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
cherpep

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »

Doesn't Canada allow nocturnal home hemo on NxStage?   Perhaps you can get a couple of members here to tell you their nephrologist that recommended it, and maybe you can get some facts from them to present to your neph?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »

We don't have Nxstage here in Canada but I think that it's possible to do nocturnal using the other machines that they provide for home hemo.  We do have some nocturnal in center programs but I believe they're generally three times per week.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »

nxstage is not available here in Canada or are there any plans to have it here.  Hubby does nocturnal at home using a Fresenius  2008H machine. We will be training for a new machine in the next year or so because the 2008H machine is obsolete.  It will still be a full size dialysis machine.  I really wish some company would develop a portable machine that we could use for nocturnal here in Canada.  In Newfoundland if you do nocturnal it has to be at home there is no in center nocturnal dialysis.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »