I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Be normal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Be normal  (Read 3763 times)
lanemn9

My dialysis team

« on: March 04, 2009, 04:01:04 AM »

All I really want is be normal .....................what is normal
To me it would be walking up a flight of stairs without
having to stop half ways up to catch my breath
Normal to me would be not regretting waking up on a dialysis day

Or to be with a woman and not having her worry something might happen to me
We all have are own idea of whats normal. Some are the same and some are different
But we all have one thing in common and thats just to be normal

What is normal to you ?
staceyand joe92

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:24:36 AM »

Normal has taken on an entirely different meaning to me now......it would be great if my friends didn't ask me if I'm feeling okay 1,000 times a day. It would me great if the cashier at the grocery store didn't ask me what happened to my arm (it's always black&blue ). It would be great if my husband didn't wake me up during the night to make sure my access or catheter  isn't bleeding.

It is not that I an not very thankful for everyones concern , but it would be nice just to "normal":  without bruises and scars all over my arms .
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:31:25 AM by staceyand joe92 » Logged

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:08:30 AM »

Normal -
when my biggest complaint about having to get up in the morning was that I had to go to work.
when I could pay my own bills with my own paycheck.
when a shortage of sleep meant I spent the day yawning and thinking about the fun I had the night before.
when every bite I put in my mouth wasn't evaluated for carbs, sodium, phos, and potassium content.
when thirsty wasn't a long-term condition.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »

I guess I look at things differently.  Normal, for me, is exactly what my life is like now.  If I get to go back on PD, that will be normal.  If I get a transplant, that will be normal.  Rather than belittle what keeps me alive, I embrace it. 
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:17:34 AM »

normal  -
to be able to urinate
to be able to teach
to be able to get up from a chair when I wanted to
to be able to drink 8 glasses of water a day
I am not belittling what keeps me alive -- I am posting how I feel about it -
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »

I've never been normal and wouldn't know where to start if that's what I endeavoured to be.

The "Norm's" take everthing for granted and don't appreciate how lucky they are to be healthy, so as far as I'm concerned they can all pound sand.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »

Having kids without trying!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 03:51:19 PM »

I have never had a normal life, so I am going to think about this question and come back to it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »

Normal to me is being able to get up and go somewhere at a whim and this ended 11/05 and I """still""" am having trouble changing that feeling.  I am only 60 years old and a prisoner.  Any one of you that can go on a cruise or anything even remotely fun...enjoy it...it could end today....and I dare you to tell me or anyone who feels like I do or has to live like I do to feel "normal".

:Kit n Stik;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »

Normal? What's that? I've been a type 1 diabetic since I was 6 years old. I don't even remember normal. The constant blood sugar checks, insulin shots, insulin pump issues, carb counting, etc. My entire life, I have been watched like a hawk about what I  eat, what I do, how much insulin I take. Every little moment of my day is scheduled around my diabetes. And now the kidney failure!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »

Jbeany.. You said it best for me... I agree not sure there is really a normal in my life anymore.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »

I thought and thought about this and decided to look up the definition and I found the definition to be quite comical, I could not think of what normal would be to me really..............

conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

a.  approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b. free from any mental disorder; sane.

free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
b. of natural occurrence.

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:51:08 PM »

To me normal is whatever I am living with at the time.  We all go through periods of "odd"...but that's still our normal at the time.  Normal for me is to always find the bright side of every situation.  Beating myself up just gets me a beating.  Yes, there are days that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired...but hey...it beats hell out of the alternative.
If I felt perfect every day and my job was perfect and my kids never made me growl...what would I have to b*tch about?  <giggle>  Oh nevermind...I'd think of something!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »

To me normal is whatever I am living with at the time. We all go through periods of "odd"...but that's still our normal at the time. Normal for me is to always find the bright side of every situation. Beating myself up just gets me a beating. Yes, there are days that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired...but hey...it beats hell out of the alternative.
If I felt perfect every day and my job was perfect and my kids never made me growl...what would I have to b*tch about? <giggle> Oh nevermind...I'd think of something!

Wenchie, that is one of the best philosophies of life I have ever heard. 

You are an inspiration.   :2thumbsup;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:50:08 PM »

not abnormal; regular

Oh that clears things up.   :sarcasm;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »