I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 08:19:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Biopsy - trouble post bed rest
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biopsy - trouble post bed rest  (Read 2267 times)
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« on: February 13, 2009, 12:28:12 PM »

My drs. have me on a high risk protocol that says I need a biopsy at 10 days, 4 weeks and 6 months post transplant.  So yesterday I had my first one.  It was really uneventful - and I was fine after for the 5 hour bedrest.  Then I got up on my own to go to the bathroom, and started having realy bad abdominal pain.  It was so bad I couldn't stand up straight.  They ended up keeping me for observation, did a CT scan too.  At first it did feel like VERY intense gas pain.  Then within 30 minutes it was so bad I was in tears.  Now I have had natural child birth, so I feel I am pretty tough in the pain department.  But when the dr palpated my stomache it was very sharp pain.  Well, they had given me a form of morphin again during the biopsy and I think I am just ultra senstive to that stuff.  The pain disapated after about three hours, and became just sore over the site.  What makes me upset though is why they made me go through that (biospy)  so soon.  My labs have been great and the kidney is functioning very well.   My creatine is at .08 now and my hemoglobin is 11.2 and the rest is good too.  I also came home with a JP drain, and they removed that on Wednesday this week.  THAT was PAINFUL!  And no warning, no pain meds for that!  With all that they have put me through this past 10 days, I was really worried last night.  Thankfully they released me this morning after seeing alot of gas, and nothing else!   HA ha I know, but better safe than sorry, I guess. 

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »

That many biopsies  ??? :o :o
That just puts the kidney at a greater risk. It shouldn't be done unless necessary. Only time I have had it done was when I was sick and levels were off.

Sorry to hear you had such a trouble with this biopsy

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »

Hi Traci, I have had 4 biopsy's and I'm 14 weeks post transplant, i had my first one only 4 days after transplant as my creatine went up really high and i also are high risk but i have never had really bad pain after them , the first one showed rejection but with high does of IV prednisone it came good, then i had 2 more in about a 1 month as my creatine went high again but both times there was no sign of rejection and the last one i "had to have  " as everyone has to have one at 10 weeks , that one showed some damage to the kidney from the Tac so they are trying to keep my Tac levels  between 8 and 10 they tell me its only mild but i still wasn't real happy so now i'm hoping i won't need anymore biopsy for awhile the next one i have to have is at 12 months , I worry about the damage they could cause but at my transplant hospital they seem to love doing them . Hope the next one doesn't cause that pain. Take care

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »

Hi traci, Sorry you were hurting! You can refuse a biopsy anytime. The only reason we let them do Jenna's is because I insisted that unless the surgeon who transplanted the kidney did it - it wasn't going to happen. I figured he had the most interest in being sure not to do any harm, and he was very careful with Jenna. She had one at 30 days (no problem) - 6 months (bled a lot for an hour, then fine) and 1 year - no problem. But she never had pain, so I imagine they hit a nerve or caused bleeding in the area around the kidney.
You don't "have to do" anything. They can recommend it - but you have the right to say that you don't want to take the risk.
 :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »

I didn't have any bleeding and the ct they did last night only showed gas. I really think it was the meds. I a sore today though. What happens if you refuse it?  Are you listed as AMA?  Does medicare give you grief?

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 02:58:24 PM »

I have not had to have any biopsies. The transplant center I go to doesn't do any unless there is a problem.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »