I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  creatiniine level after transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: creatiniine level after transplant  (Read 5137 times)
draven

« on: December 17, 2008, 03:27:58 AM »

hi went to the clinic today for my first checkup/blood test.

Here in south africa we measure creatinine diffrently. not in 1.2  measurements (not sure what its  called) but in the 100's

when i was on dialysis my creatinine level was 900 or over a 1000. after the transplant it went too 114 :)

i has since gone up to about 140. i called the clinic for todays results and its up to 170. nurse says not to worry. and  im not , my doc says i still need to stabilise with my meds.

a silly question but are there tips to keep  the creatinine down. i am on a antibiotic which elavates the creatinine level a little.

once again thanks to all for the well wishes.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:04:23 AM »

draven, drink, drink and then drink some more. Staying well hydrated will help the creatinine go down. Please keep us posted.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:11:54 AM »

I'm sure everything will be fine, drink lots of water. It takes awhile for body and kidney to adjust life together. :)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:09 AM »

What immunosuppressants are you taking?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
draven

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:21:25 AM »

im on cyclospirn, predinsone. and a few other pills like azapress, a vitamin b6 tablet and  a iron tablet.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »

That's great news, Draven!  I found out today that my creatinine is 1.0!  When I was discharged on Nov 10th it was 1.3.   I couldn't be happier!   Now I just can't wait to get this stent out!  I feel like I have to pee all the time!  So frustrating!!!

I had labs this morning at 8 a.m. and I forgot to take my Prograf pills late last night.  I usually take them at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. and I'm supposed to take them later the night before labs (8:30 p.m.) and then hold off in the morning until after labs are drawn.  Well, I took them at 6 p.m. last night and when I arrived this morning for labs at exactly 8 a.m. I find out that of all days the lab tech is "out" and they are sending lab patients over to the hospital for their draw.  No problem I thought.  Then I find out they have to "register" each patient and give them a wrist band, etc. before sending them across the parking lot to the hospital.  Well, needless to say I wasn't first in line so I waited and waited.  I didn't get my labs drawn until a little after 9 a.m.!  I told them that I had taken my Prograf at 6 p.m. so they tried to rush me after that.  The lab tech had arrived by then, so luckily I didn't have to go to the hospital.  When they called this afternoon they said my Prograf level was low (6.6 - still okay) and they wanted me to increase my Prograf.  I called them back and retold my story of taking the Prograf at normal time.  Now I have to go back tomorrow a.m. for re-draw!  I'm sure it will be fine.

I don't know why I told you all this.  But thanks for listening.   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »

You told us because you knew we'd care.  And we do.  I'm glad you're having them re-drawn though rather than them automatically upping the Prograf.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »

You told us because you knew we'd care.  And we do.  I'm glad you're having them re-drawn though rather than them automatically upping the Prograf.

I 100% agree!  I already take 7 Prograf capsules a day!  I don't want any more!  So I will drive across town (literally) again tomorrow to get them drawn.  I want to go DOWN in te # of pills I take, not UP! 

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »

Drink, drink, drink.
draven

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »

ill drink more. i drink about 2  litres a day. i was overlloaded after the op. but docs say the meds cause u to retain water in the begining and ur fluid intake will increase over time. im also not use to drinking so much.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »

this is from http://www.drugs.com/pro/cyclosporine.html

It is not unusual for serum creatinine and BUN levels to be elevated during Cyclosporine therapy. These elevations in renal transplant patients do not necessarily indicate rejection, and each patient must be fully evaluated before dosage adjustment is initiated.

Nephrotoxicity has been noted in 25% of cases of renal transplantation, 38% of cases of cardiac transplantation, and 37% of cases of liver transplantation. Mild nephrotoxicity was generally noted 2–3 months after transplant and consisted of an arrest in the fall of the preoperative elevations of BUN and creatinine at a range of 35–45 mg/dL and 2.0–2.5 mg/dL respectively. These elevations were often responsive to dosage reduction.

More overt nephrotoxicity was seen early after transplantation and was characterized by a rapidly rising BUN and creatinine. Since these events are similar to rejection episodes care must be taken to differentiate between them. This form of nephrotoxicity is usually responsive to Cyclosporine dosage reduction.

Although specific diagnostic criteria which reliably differentiate renal graft rejection from drug toxicity have not been found, a number of parameters have been significantly associated to one or the other. It should be noted however, that up to 20% of patients may have simultaneous nephrotoxicity and rejection.

........ for more info go to webpage

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:10:44 AM »

My creatine levels have been all over the map since transplant (10/24/08).  Yesterday was 1.5, last Thursday was 1.9..so it was happy dance time.  I try not to "worry the numbers" because with the amount of meds I am still taking they HAVE to have some sort of effect on the numbers.  Besides, prior to transplant ANY creatine starting with a 1 was a pipedream.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
draven

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:12:08 AM »

my cyclosprorin levels are way up. 415 when 300 is considered toxic. reducing cylcosporin and predisone as from today. my creatnine went up a little 177  but docs and nurses all agree it from the meds and antibiotics im taking for the oozing wound which stopped oozing 2 days ago :yahoo;
and its starting to finally close or heal.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »

My Prograf levels are now high (in the 9's) so they told me yesterday to reduce my dosage to 3/3 (3 in the a.m. 3 in the p.m.).  I'm happy to go down.  My creatinine, which was 1.0 the last few weeks was 1.1 yesterday.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »