I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 03:30:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Organ transplant fails, putting Kelsey Crider's life on hold
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Organ transplant fails, putting Kelsey Crider's life on hold  (Read 1700 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: February 19, 2008, 02:02:57 PM »

BHS grad fights kidney battle
Organ transplant fails, putting Kelsey Crider's life on hold

By Yu Miao, For the Camera
Sunday, February 17, 2008

At Boulder High School's graduation last June, Kelsey Crider proudly wore her cap, gown and a pair of big, white sunglasses.

Knowing she would soon attend Fort Lewis College in Durango to pursue her dream of being a photographer, Crider was confident and carefree.

Two weeks after graduation, though, she was diagnosed with medullary cystic kidney disease, a hereditary disorder in both kidneys. Doctors at several hospitals determined that Crider's kidneys functioned at only 12 percent -- and that a transplant was needed.

Crider and her family were dumbfounded. She had never suffered any previous symptoms.

"My first reaction to all this was that it's not the hugest deal," said Crider, 18, "because I was focusing on college."

But she soon found out that she had to give up her plan to attend college in the fall. In September, she started dialysis treatment, a four-hour blood cleansing procedure that had to be done three times a week. Meanwhile, the family started looking for a possible donor.

Crider's father, Steve Crider, was a match. The transplant surgery was done at the University Hospital in Denver on Oct. 31.

Steve Crider recovered quickly and was released from the hospital three days after the surgery.

But Kelsey Crider's body soon began to reject the new organ. She went through a second surgery to adjust the position of the kidney, and doctors gave her medication to fight the rejection. She ended up staying in the hospital for most of November and the first part of December. She got pneumonia twice and had to go into the intensive-care unit for 24-hour-watch.

"The first time in the ICU, I was up the whole night," Kelsey said. "I was really sick, and I had the highest fever. They had to chill down the room to freezing cold. I was so nauseous, and I couldn't breathe."

Her mother said she was "scared to death" for Kelsey.

"I couldn't help," Debbie Crider said. "That was the hardest."

An ultrasound later determined there was no blood flow to and from the new kidney, and it had to be removed.

On Dec. 3, a third surgery took the kidney out of Kelsey's body. After she fell asleep that night, her mother went into the bathroom and began to weep.

"I couldn't stop it. I asked myself, 'Why her?' 'Why Kelsey?' 'Why didn't this work?'"

Kelsey also asked those questions to herself at the beginning, but then she stopped, not wanting to be a victim anymore.

"You can't keep asking, 'Why? Why? Why?' Because no one is going to answer," she said.

Kelsey is now recovering from her surgeries at home. She is again doing dialysis three days a week.

Her name is on the waiting list of the United Network for Organ Sharing.

There are more than 98,000 candidates nationwide who are waiting for an organ, according to the nonprofit's Web site, and it usually takes years to be matched with a kidney from the newly deceased.

"We don't want to wait," Debbie Crider said. "Kelsey is ready to start her life. She wants to go to college."

The family is seeking a living donor -- more than 1,000 e-mails have been sent to friends, associates and business contacts -- but responses are slim.

"I think people don't have enough information on what this is all about," Steve Crider said. "They don't know people can do very well with one kidney."

Debbie Crider's company, Inverness Medical-BioStar Inc., has set up an account for those who are interested in giving financial help to the family. Further questions can be sent to kcriderkidneydonation@yahoo.com.

Visit the following Web sites for more information on kidney transplants and donation:

www.transplantliving.org

www.optn.org

www.uch.edu/transplant

www.paireddonation.org

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/feb/17/bhs-grad-fights-kidney-battle/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:11:13 AM »

Dec 8, 2008 9:21 pm US/Mountain
19-Year-Old Needs 3rd Transplant to Save Her Life
Written by CBS4 special projects producer Libby Smith
Reporting
Dr. Dave Hnida
BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4) ― Every three days, Kelsey Crider spends four hours hooked up to a dialysis machine.

"It's like my artificial kidney," Kelsey told CBS4.

Kelsey's kidneys were damaged by a genetic disease. She wouldn't have known there was a problem unless her mother asked her to get a routine blood test for iron levels. Doctors were able to detect her diminished kidney function. It's been a wild ride since then.

"I'm really hopeful," she said.

Kelsey is hopeful that a perfect stranger with Type O blood would be willing to give her their kidney.

"I mean it would be really, really, really nice to have someone to give me that," Kelsey added.

It wouldn't be the first time. Kelsey's already had two kidney transplants. The first from her father, but her body rejected that one within two months.

"She has a much stronger immune system than average patients that we would take care of in the transplant center," said Dr. Alex Wiseman, Medical Director of the Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Center at the University of Colorado Hospital.

Fortunately, Kelsey was able to find another donor who was nearly a perfect match, but again her body said "no."

"She forms antibodies very abruptly, very quickly, and they're tough to get on top of once they're formed," Wiseman added.

So now, 16 months and seven surgeries later, she's right back where she started -- needing dialysis every other day and needing a kidney that will give her a new life.

"I mean I try to be strong, but you know, it still just tears on you," Kelsey said.

It's hard on her doctors too. They've been working with clinics across the country to make sure the next transplant will be the last.

"We are taking every precaution with this go around," Wiseman said.

Until there's a donor, Kelsey continues dialysis and hopes for a day when she can get her life back.

"I want to go to college or to a university to become a nephrologist," said Kelsey.

"To see what she's gone through over the last year or so and to come out of it still as positive as she is and as strong as she is -- is just really encouraging," Wiseman added.

To make a match for Kelsey, there are six factors and the donors would have to match on all six factors. Her doctors want to find as close a match as possible to avoid the complications she's suffered in the past.

Additional Resources

For those who would like more information about Kelsey's story or would like information about how to become a donor, go to her Web site, Kidney 4KP.

WATCH VIDEO: http://cbs4denver.com/local/Kelsey.Crider.kidney.2.883000.html

PHOTO: Kelsey Crider

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

I know I don't have all the information, but I just wonder why didn't the transplant center do more or check something to make sure the kidney was doing all right.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012