I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2024, 07:36:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Gym class injury turns out to be a lifesaver
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gym class injury turns out to be a lifesaver  (Read 1206 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 07, 2008, 01:02:07 AM »

December 7, 2008
Gym class injury turns out to be a lifesaver
Girl, 16, diagnosed with failing kidneys
By Kellen Henry
Staff writer

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- If it weren't for an accident in gym class, Shavona Hooper might not have found out about her failing kidneys in time to get help.

But because of the lucky injury and the support of her family, the Capital High School student could greet the New Year with a new kidney.

Hooper had always enjoyed good health. The 16-year-old stayed busy with video games, spending time with her friends and her four siblings and writing poetry. She also worked with the Upward Bound program and dreamed of going to college to study psychology.

But at times, Hooper was plagued by exhaustion. She complained of headaches and nosebleeds. Sometimes her hands and legs would swell during the night. Her family teased her about being lazy for sleeping all afternoon or leaning heavily on the shopping cart at the grocery store.

"Looking in hindsight, there were signs that something wasn't right, but nothing that made us think she needed to go to the hospital," said her mother, Diane Hooper.

Then, in September, Hooper badly stubbed her thumb on a classmate's foot while playing tag in gym class at school. When the swelling didn't go down overnight, Diane Hooper took her to the doctor to see if the thumb was broken.

The doctor never got a chance to examine her thumb. At the appointment, Hooper's blood pressure was 230/135, far above the normal 120/80 blood pressure reading.

The routine check-up turned into a weekend stay in intensive care at CAMC Women's and Children's Hospital. After a barrage of tests, the Hooper family got a diagnosis.

Hooper's kidneys were failing. She had end stage renal disease and needed to start dialysis if she couldn't get a transplant soon.

"I stayed cool. When they told me I had chronic kidney disease, I managed to keep smiling. To this day, I've just kept smiling," Hooper said.

Her family took the news a little harder, especially her 18-year-old twin sisters, Hooper said. Her friends were distraught, but saw she hadn't lost her positive attitude when they visited her in the hospital.

"Our lives changed overnight. I thought 'how are we going to do this?'" Diane Hooper said. "I was too shocked and stunned to cry."

Hooper began treatment immediately, with four different medications, low-sodium meals at school, vitamins and a weekly injection to treat anemia. At the beginning of treatment, Hooper was afraid of needles.

"I have to be over it now," she said. "I can't be afraid."

In November, the family found out that the disease had genetic roots on Hooper's father's side of the family. One of her cousins had died from kidney disease.

Hooper was ready for a transplant, but was placed on the inactive list while doctors made sure she was emotionally ready to have a transplant at any time.

The family hoped for a live donor, and because of Hooper's universal type O blood, there was a good chance that one of her four siblings would be able to donate.

One 18-year-old sister was a match, but the surgery team at CAMC General was hesitant to take a kidney from such a young donor because of future complications. They were disappointed to find that Hooper's 22-year-old brother did not match.

Diane Hooper had less faith that her oldest son, 27-year-old Brent Stephens, would be able to donate. He doesn't have the same father as his siblings.

"He had more of a chance of not being a match than being a match," Diane Hooper said.

But on Wednesday, a test showed that Stephens could donate to his sister, three months to the day after she hurt her thumb.

"I just hope it works and it's good to use," Stephens said. "This is going to be a Christmas gift she'll get for years."

Stephens, an artist and musician, will have to be tested to make sure his kidney is suitable for transplant. He also wants to wait until after his performance in a local ballet production of The Little Match Girl on Dec. 12.

"I'm hoping that this is the answer and we can do this and start off the New Year by putting the trial and tribulation behind us," he said.

Hooper said she wants to have the transplant before the end of the year, even if it means missing part of the school semester in recovery.

Though Diane Hooper said it would be stressful having her oldest and youngest children in surgery at the same time, she's grateful for all the prayer and support from friends and family that carried the family through the last three uncertain months.

Hooper said she's excited to regain the energy she lost with the disease, to get involved in sports again and continue with her education.

"I believe if I didn't stub my finger, it would have been too late when we did find out and I could've been really sick," Hooper said.

For now, Diane Hooper is keeping an eye out for symptoms in the rest of her kids. The whole family has started checking their blood pressure regularly and Diane said she's thankful they found out about the kidney disease when they did.

"It's really a wakeup call. People don't realize that these signs might be something more," Diane Hooper said.

"I want to shake the little boy's hand who kicked her thumb. He doesn't know it, but he saved her life."

Reach Kellen Henry at khe...@wvgazette.com or 348-5179.

http://wvgazette.com/News/200812060394

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »