I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 11:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  The “Value” of Life: A new threat to patients on dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The “Value” of Life: A new threat to patients on dialysis?  (Read 1408 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 07, 2008, 12:32:02 AM »

December 04, 2008
The “Value” of Life: A new threat to patients on dialysis?

By Peter Laird, MD

Anna and Bill commented on the British health care system’s justification of expenditures based on cost effectiveness criteria and the value of preserving life based solely on cost analysis. American dialysis patients should pay close attention to Britain’s example as many in the American health care think tanks are already paving the road for rationing here in America as well. In a prior post on this issue, Bill brought the issue of QALY to our attention What is a quality-adjusted year of life for a dialyzor?:

Lee and his co-authors, Glenn M. Chertow, of the division of nephrology at Stanford University's department of medicine, and Stefanos A. Zenios, of Stanford's Graduate School of Business, examined records from more than a million patients. The study results show that the incremental cost effectiveness ratio of dialysis in current practice relative to the next least costly alternative is on average $61,294 per year, or $129,090 for a quality-adjusted year of life (QALY) -- a measure that combines the length of time that life is extended and the quality of that life.

The outspoken recommendation by Dr. Lee and Dr. Chertow is to start treating American dialysis patient’s based on a value based rationing system:

"In this country we're really uncomfortable with the notion of health care rationing," says Lee. "On the other hand, the fact of the matter is when you have finite resources -- and that is the case here -- you are always rationing, whether explicitly or implicitly.”

Dr. Chertow and Dr. Lee have a series of forthcoming articles on these issues. It is likely that they will singlehandedly lay the groundwork for reduction of dialysis utilization in the high risk populations based on the same justifications also given in NICE.

(with G.M. Chertow and S.A. Zenios)
“Optimal initiation and management of dialysis therapy.” Operations Research (Forthcoming).

“An empiric estimate of the value of life: updating the renal dialysis cost-effectiveness standard.” Value in Health (Forthcoming).

“Evaluating the potential effects of frequency and duration of hemodialysis on longevity, cost and cost-effectiveness.” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (Forthcoming).

The advocates for more frequent and longer duration hemodialysis strategies are facing even greater opposition in the coming months. Despite the clear benefits to patients with a higher dose of dialysis either by increasing the frequency or duration of dialysis sessions or both, the battle continues over what constitutes optimal dialysis as part of a rational health care plan.

When these health benefits are coupled with the markedly reduced hospital utilization rates seen in daily dialysis strategies as well as nocturnal strategies, we also find reduced medication usage and fewer long term comorbidities which greatly benefit the health care payer. Thus, it is difficult to justify the hard line approach that Dr. Lee and Dr. Chertow appear to be recommending. Rationing based on unproven utilitarian concepts will not give us optimal management of dialysis therapy while at the same time denying that our current thrice weekly dialysis protocols are not frequent enough, nor long enough to optimally treat CKD-5 patients.

http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2008/12/the-value-of-life-a-new-threat-to-patients-on-dialysis--anna-andbillcommented-on-the-british-health-care-systems-j.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 02:41:14 AM »

I guess those of us who don't work had better get a job so we are viable humans.

I agree that in the U.S. we have gone overboard on saving lives.  There are cutbacks that can be made and when I'm laying there not knowing my own name just shut off the machine.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:18:56 AM »

That's our own hemodoc, isnt' it?

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:57:01 AM »

That's our own hemodoc, isnt' it?

Yup!

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »