I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 04:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dilemma with questions from son
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dilemma with questions from son  (Read 3682 times)
Katey

« on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:07 AM »

I am back on hemo from having a transplant 9 yrs ago.  My son is now 18 and previously when i was on dialysis he was only 9.  Now that he is legally an adult (gosh that makes me feel old :thumbdown;) he has several questions when i return home from dialysis.  I have been in the hospital almost every weekend for about 2 mos and he is so worried.  Please provide any suggestions you may have with how much I should share with him.

I don't want to scare him but I also want to be as honest as possible...

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
Found this wonderful site Nov 2008!!
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »

Even though I am not a kid, I have always found not knowing to be the scariest thing of all. Your son cares enough to ask. Answer his questions. Be open with him. He'll feel more secure knowing his questions will be answered and that he won't be shut out.

Just my opinion.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Katey

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

Thanks so much.  So far I have been extremely honest with him as I think that if he knows everything it will help him stay informed and know that I am ok.  He asked last night on a scale of 1-10 how much the needles hurt and I told him about a 15!  We just laughed and agreed we are thankful for dialysis

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »

Be honest even if it is painful.  Take him with you to dialysis and have him sit with you.  Explain the machine and how it works.  Knowledge is power.

Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 02:19:15 PM »

Let your son know everything. I was the caregiver to my son who was 19 1/2 when he started dialysis he told the DR's and nurses they could tell me anything they told him.  I think your son can handle it. A good site for him to learn from is www.kidneyschool.org I like this site and the National Kidney Foundation's site is good to.
Goodluck to you ;)

Lori/Indiana :grouphug;
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »

tell him everything and then some more...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 02:33:52 PM »

I don't think any age is to young. My Youngest daughter is 4 and sometimes she reminds me of the things I cant eat, she tries to tape my arm after I have the needles i, she even tries to help holding my sites after. She asks when am i going to the doctors to get better,meaning when will i get "the call". So, the more they know the better off you will be.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »

as  above.

my :twocents;

be  open  and  honest,  get  your  son  involved

in  your  day  to  day  goings  on  with  dialysis

go  to  neph  appts,  get  him  to  ask  questions

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 04:52:40 PM »

what everyone said.........knowledge is power...........my Dr's and nurses are impressed by my 14 yr old grand daughter...she is able to ask questions and respond about my dialysis issues on their level and I think that is ultimately more helpful for me too.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »

I agree with everyone who has posted.  Not knowing is the really scary thing.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »

I agree with everybody else too.  be as open and honet as possible.  let him be a part of the proces.  Not knowing is alot more scary than having the facts.   :cuddle;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »

He is a very caring and loving son if he is asking these questions. That means he can probably handle the truth so be honest with him.
Good luck with him.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:43:21 AM »

I'd say tell him the whole truth as he will only be imagining all sorts of things.  As others have said it is not knowing that is the worst.  :cuddle;
cherpep

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »

I have definitely learned with my kids that what I don't tell them, they imagine 100 times worse.  If I give them the facts, they can deal with the facts, it is so much better than dealing with the unknown. 

My 18-year old son has been wonderful.  I do home hemo, and when my husband is not available, my son helps me with my treatments.  When I get those awful leg cramps, my son helps me by massaging my feet and legs.  I used to feel guilty, and I always apologize to him, but he is actually happy to help. 

My 12-year old daughter has a more difficult time dealing with it - she tends to avoid me when I'm doing dialysis.  It frightens her that I need it.  But, I have been talking to her and trying to get her more involved, even with little things like gathering my supplies.  I think it will be easier for her to deal with it if she stops running away and tries to help. 

I am open and honest with my kids.  Let's face it, this is a scary situation.  However, I emphasize that while I hate having to do dialysis so often, I realize that it is extending my life.  For that, we should all be grateful.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 07:37:13 AM »

You have had some great responses.  My addition is, why not tell him to join IHD?  He would be able to get lots of information and see this renal challenge from all the perspectives.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »

I say to just tell the truth
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 10:07:06 PM »

When I was ten years old my Mom sat me down at a Denny's in Pleasanton (on our way to another doctor's appointment @ UCSF) and told me straight up what was going on.  She peered directly into my eyes the entire time and made sure not to sugarcoat it.

She didn't use cutsie words or talk down to me.  She talked to me like an adult and I've always respected her for that.

Your son's an adult now and if you do the same as my Mom, I think he'll thank you for it too.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »

He is 18 and an adult. I think even if he was younger you should just be straight with him. As others have said understanding the issues, risks etc is half the problem. He will worry either way and if you don't tell him stuff he will just worry anyway and then perhaps not have some critical point of information when it may be needed. I know as a patient I want to know everything involved and have as much understanding as I can because it gives me a sense of control over my life/destiny. In a way I think if I was your son I'd want the same sort of deal. He may not be able to do anything, but at least knowing as much as you do will be of great benefit to him. Also I feel he may well apprieciate you sharing everything with him rather than keeping stuff from him. I know you want to protect him, but I think the best option is just to tell him warts and all.

Of course the other option is to sit down with him and ask HIM what he wants to know - how much etc. Show him you trust him and want to share - but only if he wants to know. Again, that gives him some choice over how much he wants to know, and you don't have to worry so much about scaring him or something if he really wants to know.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »

Re-reading this thread reminds me of when the doctor gave the prognosis that I probably have breast cancer.  I went home to my 10-year old, at the time, and was totally honest with her concerning it.  And she said something that changed everything for me.  She said "Well, mommy, we are just going to treat this as an experience.  You know we like experiences, even some bad ones."
Those words just reset my mindset, and I went through the entire process as something new and interesting, and that made an entire difference (and still does).
Kids can be more mature than we think at times.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »

Re-reading this thread reminds me of when the doctor gave the prognosis that I probably have breast cancer.  I went home to my 10-year old, at the time, and was totally honest with her concerning it.  And she said something that changed everything for me.  She said "Well, mommy, we are just going to treat this as an experience.  You know we like experiences, even some bad ones."
Those words just reset my mindset, and I went through the entire process as something new and interesting, and that made an entire difference (and still does).
Kids can be more mature than we think at times.

aaaawww  that is awesome thinking for a 10 year old! 

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
cherpep

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 05:43:16 AM »

Of course the other option is to sit down with him and ask HIM what he wants to know - how much etc. Show him you trust him and want to share - but only if he wants to know. Again, that gives him some choice over how much he wants to know, and you don't have to worry so much about scaring him or something if he really wants to know.

Very nice, Richard.  Thinking from the heart.
Katey

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:42 AM »

Update....
I did talk to my son but really asked him if he has any questions and if he doesn't want to know certain things then tell me to stop.  He said he just wanted to know when I am hooked up to the machine, what is happening.  He also asked about the needles and why I seem weaker when I come home from dialysis.  I answered him all of this and then he asked why I havent yet got another kidney. I explained to him about most of my sisters not being able to go thru with the surgery and how I am on the transplant list.  It went very well.  I told him he is my rock and I get my strength from God and him. 

On Thanksgiving, we all pray for what I am thankful for.  He said "i know it has been a rough year but we know that we will get through it because "the strong will survive"  I sat at the table and bawled!!  He always comes downstairs once I get home from dialysis and fixes me my favorite, Diet Big Red over lots of ice!!

He really is a great son!!  Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful advice!! ;D

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »