I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Answering Questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Answering Questions  (Read 1812 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: December 09, 2008, 01:53:25 PM »

I was at Kaiser today for my "Hi how are you doing? Oh you are still alive? Good" appointment with the nephrologist. I got to talking to this gentleman who said he was scared of starting dialysis. I gave him our website and a few others to help him out and told him as I walked off that his life was not ending because he was going on dialysis. He was going to do a fistula and then surgery for PD. I sure hope he comes on over here.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:49:39 PM »

Good move on your part and we all know it'll be the best one on his part if he does it.   :beer1;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
wrandym

Whatever, dude!

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:57:20 PM »

I agree that it was a great thing to do.  There are just no resources given to patients and they need to find then on their own (or be told by a gracious person as yourself).  I am doing a lot of reading here and posting in the more entertaining threads because my education level on the subject started around 0-but I am learning a lot.  God Bless and thank Epoman for what he has brought together and the same for the folks that keep it going.

ps-I was going to copy the flyer to bring to my center...there is already one there!

Abyssus abyssum invocat

1982 Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes-started on pork insulin
1999 Started showing protein in urine
2000 Retinal issues began-ended with losing sight in both eyes due to retinal detachment-sight returned by surgery
2003 Started on Insulin Pump
2008 November started hemodialysis
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

I keep telling people about this site but no one listens to me.  Maybe they consider the source??

:banghead;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »

I keep telling people about this site but no one listens to me.  Maybe they consider the source??

:banghead;

Hehehehehehe!  :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »

I always ask any new patient in the clinic " tell me what you know about Dialysis".  Remember, they are in my clinic for treatment.  I am shocked to hear , more often than not, " not really anything,  or how long do I have to do this"   Where are the Doc's?   :rant; and what are they telling (not telling)  their patients....  :rant;  I am now putting the IHD flyers in each and every new patient bags.  A lady today, (brand new) commented that she had  "so much to read and learn".  I pulled the flyer out of her bag, and said "Start with this".  Hopefully, in the absence of good PreRenal education, this site will help people.  You guys ROCK : :bow; :bow; :bow;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »