I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2024, 09:21:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Gift of life received by lifelong friend of man fatally shot in Riverside
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gift of life received by lifelong friend of man fatally shot in Riverside  (Read 1707 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 02, 2008, 11:30:52 PM »

Gift of life received by lifelong friend of man fatally shot in Riverside

07:49 PM PST on Tuesday, December 2, 2008

By JESSICA LOGAN
The Press-Enterprise

Christine Boyd wants to meet all the people whose lives were helped by her son's donated organs after doctors declared him brain dead earlier this month.

But she won't have to look too far for the man who received a kidney from her son, Cornelius Boyd. Wendell Horn and Cornelius Boyd lived in the same Arlanza neighborhood all of their lives, were friends through school into adulthood, and both drove trucks for a living.

When Cornelius Boyd was declared brain dead Nov. 16 after being shot Nov. 5, doctors learned Cornelius Boyd and Horn had the same blood type that made a kidney transplant possible.

"I was just so excited and ecstatic about it," Cornelius Boyd's sister Nancy Scheel said. "That was the best news out of all this for my brother's death. It made everything not seem so pointless."

Horn, 48, had survived since 2001 on dialysis, a system of cleansing the blood, after cancer claimed one kidney and the other failed soon after. He had his blood cleaned as he slept three nights a week and was on a wait list for a kidney for two years.

Horn was shocked to learn Boyd was shot. When it was clear Boyd would not survive, Boyd's brother called Horn and told him the family was willing to give him a kidney.

"I was happy, but then I was sad too because of Corny," Horn said through tears Tuesday in an interview in his hospital bed, a week after the transplant surgery. Mylar balloons saying "Get Well Soon" were still full, and the purple, yellow and red flowers his friends sent him were still fresh beside his bed.

Christine Boyd said she was happy to hear the transplant went well.

"I kind of believe if it helps someone else live, so be it," Christine Boyd said in her home with a photo of her son lying in front of her on her coffee table. "There shouldn't be any guilty feelings. I miss my son already... but knowing, with him being killed so senselessly, someone else can live, why, I feel good about that."

Time in the hospital has given Horn time to reminisce about Cornelius and all the time they spent playing together as children and going to Norte Vista High School.

"I sit up here at night and think about all the people Corny gave life to," Horn said.

Horn called Christine Boyd in the days after the surgery. "She told me, 'I lost a son and I gained a son,' " Horn said through heavy tears.

Horn said that when he is released from the hospital, he wants to volunteer to help other dialysis patients, encourage his family to agree to become organ donors when they die and live a healthy life. "I'm going to take good care of this kidney, extra careful for Corny," Horn said.

Christine Boyd has plans, too. Horn told her over the phone that once he gets out of the hospital "the two families are going to come together and have a good time."

Horn said Tuesday he hoped to go to Boyd's memorial Saturday but doctors told him to avoid crowds for six weeks after surgery to avoid germs.

Christine Boyd said she used to work transporting patients with kidney problems to and from dialysis. She said that by looking at them, "you could pretty much feel how they are feeling."

The experience gave Horn a new perspective on life. "I know that any day can be your last, and I've got a second chance to prolong my life."

Cornelius Boyd, 46, was in his car near Campbell and Lewis avenues when someone approached his car and shot him, said Riverside police Sgt. Derwin Hudson. Hudson said Wednesday that he had no suspects in the shooting.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/riverside/stories/PE_News_Local_E_kidney28.3bda637.html?npc

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »

How wonderful for these two families.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »