I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 05:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  "I want to help" -- what do you say?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I want to help" -- what do you say?  (Read 7898 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »

I have learned I am not Superwoman and cannot do it all. So what if the dust is collecting in the house.  As long as we are happy and healthy it is okay.   I did hire a cleaning lady for once a week.  It helps tremendously at least one day a week the cat hair is off things and the dishes and laundry are done!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
cherpep

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »

So - it's a date.  We can all meet at my house, ignore the dirt, and have some fun.  Sounds great to me!!  I'll pick up some Cheetos at the store today. 

Planning is my biggest tool for surviving.  Each weekend, I plan my meals for the week.  I never plan on cooking more than 3.  Most of them involve crockpots and leftovers.  I assemble it before work, let it cook all day, then come home and eat.  I freeze the leftovers, so I can just whip those out on a non-cooking day.  On the weekends, I'll try to clean and chop up the vegetables I'll need for the week, so when it comes time to assemble, I just pull them out.  That gives me time in the evenings for my dialysis treatments.  I always have 1 evening off dialysis during the week, and I set goals for myself to get at least one of those cleaning tasks done - like scrubbing the tub or washing the kitchen floor.  Unfortunately, though, that means it doesn't get done every week, but I've learned to live with it.  Saturdays are for cleaning and shopping.  The kids & hubby all know that.  We try to get the house in order Saturday morning, so that we can enjoy some fun stuff Saturday afternoon & evening.

Without the planning, this would never work.  I save myself time by not running to the stores multiple times during the week.  I consolidate my time by cooking 2 meals at once, and chopping the vegetable ahead of time.  But, for Christmas - I need to start planning that meal now in order to get it done in time. 

You know what else is a life saver?  The Food Saver!  That machine that sucks out the air and seals the bag so food stays fresh?  That thing is my best friend.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 07:56:34 PM »

I love crunchy cheetos! 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 08:43:49 AM »

Make it a "pitch in for the holidays. We all bring different things so the Host doesn't have to! Don't be afraid to ask YOU DESERVE THE HELP!

Lori/Indiana
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »

Make a list.  Of anything, (everything) that needs to be done.  Keep it in your purse.  When someone asks you if you need anything, they really do mean it, just don't know what to do.  Pull out your list next time someone asks you.  Say " Thanks, if you want to pick something from my list".  People don't know what you need, but they know it's something.  Hope this helps.  My patients use "the list"...

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »