I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2024, 03:33:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  $800,000 to University Hospitals Center for Dialysis Care
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: $800,000 to University Hospitals Center for Dialysis Care  (Read 1421 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »

Dialysis patient helps others
South Russell Village resident and wife donate $800,000 to University Hospitals Center for Dialysis Care in Munson Township

Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:35 AM EST

By Jean Bonchak JBonchak@News-Herald.com

Being hooked up to medical equipment for frequent, extended periods of time is a necessity for those undergoing the lifesaving procedure of dialysis.

Such is the case for Harold Davis, who, after the loss of one kidney, is working on preserving the other.

Davis and his wife, Donna, of South Russell Village, recently donated $800,000 to the University Hospitals Center for Dialysis Care in Munson Township, where he receives treatments, to help make the often monotonous experience a more pleasant one for himself and others. Dialysis is a method of removing impurities or waste from the blood when the kidneys are unable to do so.

The gift will cover a substantial portion of the $1,050,000 cost to renovate and relocate the unit. The work will transform the unit to match the rest of the multiple service facilities on the 156-acre campus that integrates nature and sunlight to enhance the healing process.

"I have been so impressed with the staff of the dialysis center that I thought they and their patients deserved a beautiful place to work and receive care," Davis said. "The center is surrounded by gorgeous landscape, so I wanted to incorporate that with the wonderful care that is given there."

The center will move from its former location adjacent to a parking lot to one with expansive views of a natural setting including fields where wildlife occasionally roams.

Almost doubling in size to encompass 4,000 square feet, other project features include heated chairs and chair-side Internet access through new flat-screen televisions.

A custom-built mechanical system that integrates a high level of humidity and climate control with additional supplemental heating sources will provide comfortable temperatures for patients who often are cold during treatment, said UH Extended Care Campus President Susan Juris.

Warm earth tones, soft green accents and wood-inspired flooring and casework will complement the state-of-the art facility.

Davis, who owns Twinoaks Oil and Gas Co. in Chagrin Falls, chose to donate to the center after considering other philanthropic projects.

"I owe it to everybody around me to share my prosperity," he said. "I've done well and I want to give back."

Though suffering renal failure, he continues to keep a positive attitude, often joking with others.

"I used to tell people I was on a weight-loss kick. What did I have extra?" he said in reference to the loss of his kidney.

Davis is hoping to catch more relaxing and serene glimpses of Mother Nature with the addition of larger, lower windows at the center.

"I could look out and perhaps see a deer. I'm a wildlife lover," he said.

"Now you have to stand up to look out the window."

"This generous gift from Harold and Donna Davis will allow us to enhance ECC's facilities and provide dialysis patients with an exceptional and unique new center in which to receive outstanding care for years to come," Juris said. "It was truly a privilege to witness Mr. Davis' vision being born and an honor to help him help so many others in the future."

Work on the project began in August and is scheduled to be substantially complete in February, according to University Hospitals.

URL: http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2008/12/04/news/nh136164.prt

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »