I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 07:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  (Read 6645 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 01:51:30 PM »

i am thankful for 4 children, grown, on their own and doing well.
i am especially thankful for april, because without her i'd be living under a bridge)
i am thankful for 4 adorable grandsons (i want to buy PINK) (hint, hint)
i am thankful for my parents who are in excellent health in their 80's and still a big part of my life (january, oregon here i come again!)
i am thankful for ihd and everyone here, you all mean so much to me. i'm not sure i would want to do this dialysis stuff without you.

happy thanksgiving one and all
gobble, gobble

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 11:53:46 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
idahospud

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »

I'm thankfoll  for being forchant to dot be on dialysis yet and to all of you her at IHD . The support is grate  and my family a husband that truly exec's me in sicknus and in health . a doter that continues to grow into a buttefol loving friend to her mom . The chains to babel to do the job the so love to help the mental ill . my all you her at IHD have a wonderful Thanksgiving  :grouphug; :wine; Love Carol
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 10:22:03 AM »

I am thankful for NxStage and the freedom it provides

I was driving, listening to the radio when the conversation touched on (at the 19 minute mark) freedom and the writings of Howard Thurman. I've been thinking about freedom lately. Freedom in the context of dialysis, in the context of home dialysis. Does home dialysis provide freedom? And how so? I think it does, but not in the way it is usually presented.

Often it is the flexibility of managing your own schedule that is said to provide freedom. The freedom to have the room warm and the TV loud while you dialyze. The freedom to set your rules in place of the dialysis unit's rules. Those are not profound freedoms. Thurman spoke of profound freedoms.

The freedom of innocence, the freedom of resignation and the freedom of struggle. Driving along, listening to the radio, I realized these three freedoms sum up my kidney experience. Initially, with working kidneys you have the freedom of innocence. You don't know what you have, you take your kidneys for granted and go about your life. This freedom is illusory, but people, indeed most people, can live long lives enjoying this freedom.

This is the freedom that people with sever kidney disease, with CKD5 miss. When you tell someone on incenter dialysis that you'll get your freedom back with a high dose of dialysis provided at home this is what they hope you mean (someone with a transplant can cover freedom from the transplantor point of view). It is imagined that at home things will be as they were, that they will get back to a freedom of innocence. A high dose dialysis provided at home is a great form of renal replacement but it is still a treatment, it will not let you reclaim your renal innocence.

On dialysis it is the freedom of resignation that is most commonly experienced. Making the best of a bad situation. Thurman quotes a spiritual, "I've been down so long that being down don't bother me." It's acceptance. The acceptance of nausea. The acceptance of low energy; of fuzzy, uremic thinking. There is a freedom in this, indeed I called myself a dialysis success story because I had accepted being on incenter dialysis. I felt liberated by this resignation, free to travel but also free to be self absorbed, free to be disengaged.

Incenter dialysis only took me so far, acceptance could only take me so far. Incenter dialysis left chronic kidney disease draped around me like a wet blanket, smothering dreams and ambition. For a while I sang being down don't bother me because I didn't know I didn't know I wasn't getting enough CKD5 medicine. I didn't know I wasn't getting enough dialysis. I didn't know things could be different. Because I didn't know, I didn't seek out change.

By chance I started dialyzing at home more frequently in September 2001, I started getting a higher dose of dialysis. Since January of this year I have been using the NxStage System One to dialyze over night, sleeping through a process that use to fill my evenings. It is now that I say NxStage has given me my freedom. On this day I give thanks for this freedom.

It is not the freedom of innocence: I'm kept alive by a machine, my innocence is gone. It is not the freedom of acceptance: mere acceptance is no longer acceptable. It is the freedom of struggle. The freedom to struggle. The freedom to take on life. The freedom to work for change. The freedom to carve out a niche in an indifferent world. I like this struggle, the freedom of this struggle. Over night treatments on the System One reduces dialysis to one of life's details, leaving me to engage in the struggle. I am profoundly thankful.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:27:15 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »

:thumbup; Bill - interesting insight.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends south of the border.  :beer1;  Hope you count your blesings and have a delicious turkey dinner. Okarol your picture was beautiful!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »

The food was good, however I came home fro D with high blood pressure and knocked back a minoxidil, the most powerful pill I have in the BP arsenal.  Dropped it to 116/84 from 230/104 this morning.  Slept most of the monring. Went o Mom and sister's for lunch.  Good turkey. god food, bad mood.  Pill must be giving me the crazies today. Now I am off to rest and relax. I am tired and moody today.

Happy Thanksgiving! Isn't it great those pilgrims survived their first winter, and here we hare several hundred years later!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »

I am thankful that I have Okarol, Bajanne, Kitkatz,Boxman and Paris, who puts in countless free hours to keep Epoman's vision alive and exciting at times. Without these people and the Members of IHD, we could not exist. Thank you to everyone who makes this forum what it is today.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 07:00:40 PM »

Wow what a feast we had. Went to my sisters and we had all are family and my sisters husband family, about 30 people 2 turkeys and enough side dishes to fill a train. i have left overs to take thru Sunday. I am thankful that we all could be together on the anniversary of my Moms death (7 years). She would of had a wonderful time...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

Oh I'm sorry Boxman, however I'm sure there were wonderful memories in that room.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »

What a wonderful day we had!  We went over my sister's house and had tons of great food for the 15 of us there.  Then afterwards the yummy desserts came out and half of us played a rowdy and fun game of Life.  It was a nice day spent with family and friends.  Rob felt great which made me feel even better (thank you NxStage!).  Today Brendan and I are heading back to my sister's for some yummy leftovers and a fun day.  Poor Rob has to work, but it's an easy day for him.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »