I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 01:25:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Heart Matters
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heart Matters  (Read 2149 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: November 23, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »

We had our nephrologist around for three weeks.  Not sure if he is still here.  He no longer lives here, has moved to the Caymans.  He visits us monthly.
I went to see bim because of a recent concern of mine.  What I wanted to know was what is the best course of action to ensure heart health.  My brother who was on dialysis died of a heart attack.  A guy in our unit just died from a heart attack.  I notice that some of our members who have passed also had a heart attack.
The neph told me that one of the greatest causes of death for dialysis patients is from a heart attack.  I want to do all that is in my power to ensure heart health.  Cholesterol is one of my problems, so I will attempt to be compliant with taking my Lipitor.  He told me to continue with aspirin therapy (again I need to be compliant).  He suggested that I get an echocardiagram, but I no longer have insurance and over here they cost about $1000.  He gave me a prescription for a stress test and said that we will take it from there when we get the results.
What are you guys doing to ensure your heart health?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »

Dont know if any of it is a benefit.

I exercise almost everyday, take fish oil capsules, and eat pretty healthy.  My cholesterol is below 80. 
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »

I too take fish oil capsules, I belong to a gym and use it very regularly (both cardio for the heart and weights for the bones are crucial I think) and I'm always extremely careful with my diet.   I take a low dose of pravachol (statin medication for cholesterol) as my cholesterol went up following my last transplant which is a very common thing but due to exercise and diet I only take 10mg a day.  Lipids are of particular concern.

I'm also especially careful with my salt and fluid intake because I've been told that the ballooning up and down, as we do with intermittent dialysis, can really take it's toll on the heart in the long run.   I don't really resent my restrictions if they help to keep me healthier.  I would be very angry with myself if I contributed to my own problems rather than taking responsibility for things well within my control.

I also try to keep up my intake of good quality protein (eggs, egg whites, good quality, lean poultry and meat) because protein is linked to muscle health and the heart is just a big, important muscle.  Since I like pretty much all foods I just avoid the high potassium, high phosphorus stuff.

http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200704/

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »

I take aspirin, simvastin,and nitrogyclerin for my heart health. I have also began to exercise regularly two to three times a week. I have had a stress test and x-rays, plus a heart cath two to three years ago. Nothing was found. The heart was healthy.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:19:52 PM »

Bajanne since I had an episode of irregular heartbeat about 6 years ago I have to take a blood thinner called Warfarin which no joking is a mild version of rat poison! I've never had this condition since (touch wood) and I've asked several times to be taken off it but we have a kind of arse covering culture in the NHS where the easier decision is to maintain the status quo rather than risk a compensation claim.

Fortunately I've never had high cholesterol so I've never had to take a statin. I know I should exercise more but I work full time and the spare time that I have I would rather be doing something else. I think I eat sensibly....well we both do, we use a lot of olive oil in our cooking and buy all the low fat alternatives.

Ken
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »

I had a bit of an irregular heart beat and very high blood pressure but once I started exercising, the blood pressure came down and my heartbeat is back to normal.  I also took a great deal of stress out of my life when I gave up working 18 hours a day.  I think exercise is really important but diet is just as important.  I stay away from saturated fats but I am a bit slack on potassium ladened foods.  This thread has reminded me that I need to be more careful. xx
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:15:51 PM »

Where on earth is Stauffenberg at a time like this????? ???

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Slywalker

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »

Hi Bajanne - I've taken lipitor for a few years.  A few years ago they wanted to increase the dose because the cholesterol didn't come down as low as the doc wanted it to.  So I told him no and let me try upping the exercise to see if that would work - I just didn't want to take any more or higher doses of meds.  Lo and behold - a steady and dedicated exercise regime helped lower it to an acceptable level.  So as much as possible I maintain the exercise which is mostly walking (the dogs benefit too).  I do some aerobic tape stuff but mostly walking about 45 minutes a day.  That is getting challenging as I look out my window at the snow falling.

Plus my neph always told me that it has been proven that regular exercise is actually good for the kidney.   :clap;

Take care

Sandyb

:bunny:

highlite36

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »

You know, Bajanne, I've been on dialysis for close to three and a half years and during this bout with dialysis, I got diagnosed with heart failure.  There are just a few things that I've been told will improve my heart enough to ensure that the heart will stop failing so that I can get transplanted.  Make sure the calcium level is steady and it doesn't drop too low.  Also, make sure that the potassium levels are even and that they don't drop too low.  Be sure to take blood pressure pills so that the heart is not over working.   Good luck!  :-)

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »