I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 08:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  to late for fistula
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: to late for fistula  (Read 3378 times)
BRANDY

« on: November 12, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »

Im worried about being to late for  fistula.  do they do emergency cath on neck and can use it imediately or what happens if kidneys fail all of a sudden.   I dont have a fistula yet  and am at 21%  We havent even had a talk about it   I have learnt from all of you dialysis patients  and you have educated me on the matter.  I have a appt next tue  will put some questions to him  if I remember these.I know  write it down   well the problem with that is I forget my list    :urcrazy;

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
Meinuk

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »

Hi Brandy,

I didn't have my fistula placed until I was at 15% GFR, and then I didn't start using it for a year and a half.  Dialysis can be started immediatly after permcath placement in your neck, should the need arise.

Your Nephrologist should be talking to you about various forms of dialysis/renal replacement therapy (Hemo, home hemo, PD and transplant), in most centers, you can be listed around 20% if you decide to pursue transplant (that will buy you some time on the list) or if you have a living donor, you can be worked up at this stage as well.

If you feel that you don;t have a relationship with your nephrologist where you can talk about the future, then (insurance willing) you should look for another nephrologist.  At this point, learning as much as you can will help you so much, and when you feel in control of your future, it can help with the onset of CKD5.  We call this empowerment.  You literally become a part of your medical team.  And working on your diet can sometimes slow the progression of CKD5. 

When you have a question, post away.  The members here are an amazing resource, and a lot of fun as well!

IHD is a great place for information and support, there is also Kidney School  http://www.kidneyschool.org/splash/toc.shtml?gclid=CNCD5tS98JYCFQECGgodtHPOqw

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:52:29 PM »

I have been at around 15% for over a year, slowly coming down from 20% the past three years.  I don't have a fistula yet.  Since the process has slowed down, we are waiting.  So, it all depends on how you are doing and what you and your neph feel is right for you.   Keep asking him questions.  Are you comfortable with your doctor and trust him?  That  is important.  Let us know what happens.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Wallyz

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »

Yeah, they willl do both at once if it is an emergency.  You can demand more clarity about the schedule from you doc, though, and if you are convinced you will need one,go ahead and push for it.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »

yes, they put my permcath in and started using it 1/2 hour later and I finally had a fistula to use 9 months later..I have learned to talk to everyone and ask questions.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »

I used my cath for over a year while I was trying to develop a fistula. I have been using the fistula now for 15 months. The cath was put in the same day I started dialysis. If you want to get a fistula early I would...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
BRANDY

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »

Thank you , you people are wonderful  you answered my questions so I can understand and I dont have any doubts about  my situation.  The placement of fistula was heavy on my mind  I didnt know if I did go into  failure could they do anything about it ,..   One more question   Why do some people pass away  when in hospital  aand they say it was kidney failure .  is there a reason they dont cath them  or is insurance.  I hope this makes sence.  I have too many questions  but I know yall have the answers thanks  again

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »

If someone dies from kidney failure, they may have chosen not to start dialysis.  It is life support, after all, and not everyone wants to take that step.  There's also a difference between chronic and acute kidney failure.  Chronic means a gradual failing of the kidneys. There's time to consider all your options, and learn about treatments.  Acute might be caused by trauma, such as a car accident, or something similar to a poisoning, where the kidney function stops because of a toxic substance in the system.  In an acute case, there might be other problems that would cause eventual death, so they don't start dialysis because it would simply be prolonging the person's suffering.  If the kidneys fail first out of all the other possible problems, then that's what is listed as the cause of death.  Also, what is written as "cause of death" on a coroner's report isn't always what a layman would put.  For example, if someone is in a car accident and in a coma, and their kidneys shut down because of the trauma, the kidney failure would be listed as a cause of death, not the car accident.
You can also read a few accounts on the board of a few people whose kidney failure went undiagnosed until the symptoms were so bad that they need emergency treatment.  It's certainly possible to be untreated long enough that even dialysis would not pull you back from the point of no return.  A body can only take so much punishment.  The cause of death then would also be listed as kidney failure.

Gee, now wasn't that cheerful. . .

Really, if your kidney function takes a sudden dive, you don't need to worry if your fistula isn't ready.  They can have a cath in and have you on treatment in a matter of hours.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »

Thanks for that jbeany. Ugh...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »

Brandy My Neph only told me about hemo.  I learned of CCPD here at IHD.  I like this idea myself much better.  When i brought it up with my Neph he said this is fine.  If i were to get a fistula he said that takes alot of time to heal.  Where as the Cath i will be getting can be done a week or two before i begin treatment.

Do you know if you want to do treatments in center or at home?
Read up or ask about options you have.  You will get real answers here whe
re as in a differnt enviroment you may only get the answers best suited to your doctors.
P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »

One further comment:

Catheters damage the blood vessel. If your kidneys are failing gradually then ENCOURAGE your nephrologist, etc. to arrange for  fistula or graft placement in plenty of time for healing (and maturing in the case of a fistula) prior to the start of dialysis. It is a little bit of a guessing game because of changing rates of decline and different rates of healing/maturing and you don't want it placed so far ahead of time that it fails prior to even starting dialysis. But, if your doctor plans on having you start dialysis with a catheter, your care is being mismanaged.

Catheters should only be needed for surprise kidney failure or access failure. And, many do not agree with our position on this, but Rolando has opted to continue to use the catheter that was placed after the last access failure 3 years ago. He started dialysis with a catheter (who knew? IHD had still not been born at that time) followed by graft placement. After the failures of 3 grafts and one fistula spread out over both upper arms and with 4 different catheter insertion points in between failures and the resultant blood vessel damage, Rolando has opted to maintain the last catheter site. The same catheter lasted for two years before it suddenly fell most of the way out. He was able to have a new catheter inserted through the same tunnel. Same tunnel, no new damage to the blood vessels. He will keep using the catheter and the same tunnel until there is some overriding consideration which makes him opt for something else (such as home hemo.)

One issue with dialysis is access - it is possible to run out of access points for dialysis. Don't let them damage your blood vessels unnecessarily!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:05:12 PM by aharris2 » Logged

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
BRANDY

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 01:57:20 PM »

I have been listening to you guys talk about clinical hemo  I think that sounds better. I think maybe later after I get used to hemo  I will want to do it at home .  You can switch over later cant you . but the needles scare me abit.  But I dont want a catheter bag  with the peritonial  or tubes   or the bloating  if Im wrong please tell me   the best side of both  and the draw backs of them.Thanks for all responses

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
502Blues

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 04:02:23 PM »

Catheters do damage the blood vessels, i will never let them put a cathater in me again

1991: kidney failure, undetermined cause
1991: right and left clavicle temporary catheters
1991: catheter for PD
1992:transplant
1998: June, Fistula placement
1998: july, back to dialysis,Hemo
1999: transplanted kidney removed
2001: parathyroidism
2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: april, Pd catheter placement
 PD would not drain properly
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
502Blues

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »

I posted a thread, temporary catheters and stents that talks about all the problems catheters  have caused me

2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
BRANDY

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »

502 blues--- I tried to find your post on catheters and I coudnt find it .  I did read some that had problems with cath. How long have you been on hemo.   are you in clinic or home 

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
BRANDY

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »

I just found your post I was looking for, yes you have had a bad time with the catheter.   It sounds like hemo is best.  It is scary to think you have got to insert needles   but I guess you get used to it .  I am diabetic and for 34 years I took shots  now I am on a insulin pump.  It is wonderful,   

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 03:01:30 AM »

BRANDY - worry not. 21% GFR is still a fair way off needing the Big D, and it also sounds like you have fairly chronic KD rather than acute, so it's unlikely to colapse in a heap rapidly. Certainly my fistula was put in when I was 10-15 GFR and even then I didn't start till over 2 years later when I was at 6. By that time the fistula was nicely matured :) They usually take 6 or so weeks to get to a state of being useable. If you're at all concerned about getting an access put in, and yes the fistula is the BEST sort of access for hemo, then by all means talk to your neph about it - it's not a difficult procedure dont pretty quickly and you can let it sit there.. but hey you might also want to look into pre-dialysis transplant and that sort of thing, which means you might not need an access at this point. I reckon discuss all these issues with your neph. If you're at all concerned your care team is the first place to discuss them with. Really though I wouldn't panic about this at this stage of things. You'll be fine :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
502Blues

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 08:59:57 AM »

Yeah, ive been doing Hemo now,at the clinic for 10 yrs. Been on the transplant waiting list for most of that time. cam very close to getting a transplant in March 06. i was in the OR and prepped for surgery and everything,ready to go, but once the surgeon inspected the kidney he found that one of the veins was cut to short by whoever harvested it from the donors body,therefore it wasnt possible to use. Talk about heartbreak...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »