I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 06:41:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  A mother's love 10-26-08
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A mother's love 10-26-08  (Read 1267 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: October 30, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »

A mother's love 10-26-08
By DEBORAH ZACHER

Special Projects Writer
Published: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:13 PM CDT
Janie Gloria always knew she would do anything for her son, so when the doctors said he needed a new kidney, she never hesitated offering hers.

Amos Arteaga, 28, has been suffering with Alport syndrome since he was 6. Alport syndrome is an inherited disease that can cause kidney failure, deafness and damage the eyes.

When he was diagnosed, doctors thought by the time he was 18 Arteaga would most likely lose his kidneys. So the family moved to San Antonio to be near doctors who specialize in his condition soon after he was diagnosed.

"We were really trying to find a cure," Gloria said.

The disease was more or less under control and his family waited earnestly until he turned 18. That time came and went and Arteaga seemed to be relatively healthy. However, a few months later he started getting sick, although he didn't want to admit it. He was bleeding from multiple parts of his body, but hid it as much as he could from his mother. He lost massive amounts of weight during that time, and finally Gloria knew something had to be done.

Gloria finally convinced her son to go to the hospital, and as they were walking into the emergency room Arteaga passed out.

The doctors said that he had only about a pint of blood left in his body, and he spent the next month on life support.

"He kept saying to me, 'Please, don't let me die,' " Gloria said. "I didn't know what to tell him, so I just held his hand and said 'I won't let you die.' "

Slowly, Arteaga gained his strength back and the nurses at the hospital began calling him "Miracle Boy." After enduring therapy to learn to walk again, he was able to bounce back. Since then he's been on dialysis three times a week.

Gloria returned to Plainview a year and a half ago so she could have the support of her family. Arteaga's father, Peter Arteaga, also lives here.

Arteaga continued his dialysis treatments with Gloria faithfully taking him to each appointment. About two weeks ago, however, they received some shocking news. His arms and chests were too damaged for doctors to continue using them for dialysis. Their last option was to go through his legs, but he needed a kidney transplant -- fast.

"Either I get a kidney or . . .," he said.

The quickest way for that to happen was to turn to a family member. Arteaga's sister, Nancy Martinez, wasn't a match, but Gloria was.

"Thank God I'm a match," Gloria said. "And everything is looking good so far."

Arteaga wasn't too keen on the idea of taking one of his mother's kidneys.

"I never wanted my mom's kidney, but now I don't have a choice," he said.

"I told him to do it for me. I can't live without him. I can't let him go. We're always together," Gloria said.

If the surgery is successful, it won't necessarily cure Arteaga but it will improve his quality of life. He'll gain more muscle, weight and strength and will look healthier.

"I'll be able to do more things with my life," Arteaga said. "It's like another chance at life."

With every surgery there are several risks, but with everything the family has been through they know God is taking care of them.

"Everything happens for a reason," Gloria said. "We both know if something happens, God is calling him home. We know that he's here to help us. He wouldn't have let things go this far to let him go."

The surgery has not yet been scheduled, but doctors are hoping to have it done by the second week of November. The surgery will take place in Lubbock, and even after Arteaga is released from the hospital he will be required to stay close by in case something goes wrong.

Gloria works at Cargill Meat Solutions but has taken time off to undergo all the necessary tests for the surgery. So to help with medical and travel, a love fund has been established at Compass Bank of Plainview.

A benefit dance to raise funds will be held at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Zodiac club. The cost is $5 per person or $8 per couple, with all proceeds going to Arteaga.

"It's been hard," Gloria said. "We try and do whatever we can. As long as we have each other and God, we'll get through this."

(Contact Deborah Zacher at 806-296-1360 or dzacher@plainviewdailyherald.com)

http://www.myplainview.com/articles/2008/10/29/breaking_news/15217dh_xml.txt

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »

:clap;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »