I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 05:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  OMG! Why can't they just leave me alone!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OMG! Why can't they just leave me alone!  (Read 5011 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: November 08, 2008, 07:24:30 AM »

I'll be in this hospital until Monday afternoon and I swear to God everytime I get comfortable or get out my computer (which takes some time because moving is a little slow at the moment) I hear that freaking knock on my door and someone comes in to either give me meds, give me a shot, take my vitals, talk to me about bowel movements, ask me where my "graft" is, as me if I'm in pain, test my glucose, give me an insulin shot, ask me if I've gotten up to walk, ask me if I want a pain pill, AAAARRRRGGG!  Don't they have a chart or something they could write all this stuff down and check before walking in?  Oh, BTW, my fistula went kaput the day after surgery.  I was shocked!  I don't want them to mess with that arm until I talk to my personal neph.  They were saying we could go ahead and do an IV in that arm or start blood pressures, but I'm not letting them.  What do ya'll think?

Yesterday I was so exhausted and I had my dietitian come in for about an hour, as soon as she left the social worker popped it for about 1/2 and hr, right after that a physical therapist came in, then the Chaplin and then the coordinator who wanted to go over meds for a 2nd time!  ALL very important, but I ran off the physical therapist, the Chaplin and the coordinator.  They are all coming back in today.  I felt horrible doing it, but I couldn't hold my eyes open.

My kidney's doing great!  They incision is looking good!  I'm producing good quality pee.  I feel so very fortunate, but I'm ready to go home!  They're taking out the foley cath. Monday morning.  I can't wait!!!!   :cheer:

How's everyone else doing?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 07:51:28 AM by kellyt » Logged

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
florida.flyer

The JAX ramp rat

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:36:10 AM »

:bandance; congrats on your kidney doing great!!! 
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:45:49 AM »

:cuddle; Kelly. Lord, Len knows just what you are talking about. You sure don't get any rest in a hospital. I'm so happy that your kidney is doing good. I hope you get to go home soon. You'll probably want to sleep for days to make up for no sleep. Put a sign on your door that you are napping. Hope you get your much needed rest.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »

Thanks Ladies!  I'm feeling good!   :clap;

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 07:53:46 AM »

Unfortunately, the hospital is probably the last place you can expect to get some well-deserved rest.  On the bright side, at least you know the staff is keeping a good eye on you!  

Once you get home, you will finally find some rest, I hope.  Keep smiling!   :)

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »

You will be home soon, in your own bed and will be able to just relax. Hang in there...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 10:00:14 AM »

Just pretend you are asleep.  Keep up the good work.  Also, the prednisone if you are on any makes you "moody".  Or you can at least blame any outbursts on the Prednisone.

Best of luck with your new kidney.

rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »

Just pretend you are asleep. 
Then they'll probably wake you up to give you sleepng pills  :rofl;
Keep on getting well  :cuddle;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »

Hospitals are for sick people so when you're feeling good after a transplant you are much more aware of all the annoyances! That's a good sign that you're doing well. It's definitely not a place to get rest. As for the fistula, Jenna's quit too - read more here http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2486.0 Epoman said to get a fistulaplasty but the surgeon said no.

Sending you lots of love Kelly!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »

Kelly, I thought Otto was gonna :Kit n Stik; at times he was so tired of people coming in to "check" on him. We got so worried some one was gonna mess with the arm his fistula was in he had me write with a BIG black permanent mark " DO NOT USE ARM" and everyone left it alone, little did we know he'd need it and Thank God we protected it.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »

I write on Marvin's fistula arm in red magic marker every time he goes into the hospital -- "DO NOT USE"  One doctor told us one time to guard his access arm with our lives, and that's what we do.

If I were close to you, Kelly, I'd be coming in your room every 10 minutes to  oooohhhhh   and   aaaaahhhh over that bag of urine.  Hang in there a little longer, and you'll be home and away from the no-rest you get in the hospital.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »

My first fistula quit a few months after my transplant.  I actually felt sad because it had served me so well and given zero trouble.  I was very surprised by my feelings then and again now I'm surprised by how much I love this throbbing vein.  I know it's not pretty, I have to be so careful with it and it can freak some people out but I still love it for all that it does for me.  I like doing my own sticking so that I can provide more consistency for it and keep it healthy.  I love the bruit sound it makes and I thrill to the touch of its thrill.  I find it calming and soothing in the extreme and I baby my fistula arm every dialysis run by having its own special buckwheat pillow to cradle it gently so it doesn't get sore.  

When my first one quit post-transplant, following my initial grief, I was quite content to have it go flat so that only the scar was visible.  However, we never ever used that arm for blood work or BPs and I was always careful not to constrict it with grocery bags or anything at all.  

Kelly, I'm very happy you're so irritated by the normal hospital in-your-face-all-the-time stuff because that truly is the best indication of just how very well you're doing.  I'm hoping to get my sis-in-law's kidney too (she arrives here tomorrow for her testing) and I'm praying for a similar experience to yours.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »

You will, Monrein!   Good Luck with your Sis-in-law testing!

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

I guess everyone that see's you gets a little taste of your insurance.  I hear that stuff taste good so im not surprised you have so many people dropping by for a quick nibble.

But thats the least of it all.  You have enough strength to sit there and write us so that is the GOOD NEWS> :clap; :clap;
And Monday will be a great day for you.  No more Foley (im guessing thats a pee tube?) And you will be home in your own comfy bed sleeping on your own schedule.
So only two more days of frantic sleepiness hell.  Then you have your new life to lead :yahoo;...  No use  :boxing; them.  Soon it will all be a vast memory, and the good times will take over.
Hope you get some rest Kelly  :beer1; :cuddle;.

P&K

PS>  Monrein Best of luck with you and your sister in law. Hope that all works out for you  :2thumbsup;

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »

I wouldn't worry about that you had to chase people away so you could get some rest. The pretend to sleep idea mentioned earlier works, I've done that! Next time those people come in asking all those dumb questions, ask outloud, "Don't You Have A Chart?" That would be very annoying to me to i they kept doing that. Luckily they do use a chart were I go and it hangs up in the room so they can easy access it to write notes on it or take tags off. The vampires though, can never get away from them suckers. As for the arm, be vigilant and don't let them use it, you don't need more problems later. I guess I am lucky in some respects, the hospital I go to has preprinted signs not to use either the left or right arm. Then again some idiots don't see it (had that happen once).

Good Luck Kelly

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 05:43:23 PM »

They hung a nice hot pink sign over my bed not to use my left arm, but I personally didn't think the sign was big enough or in a good place.

Actually, I found out today that I'm their first live transplant "on this floor". This floor usually deals with diabetes treatment, transplant recipients who are either sick or rejecting, but the nurses on this floor have never had a live donor transplant.  They have all been so nice and fabulous!  They affectionately call me "the transplant patient".  They come from all over to say hi.  It's funny.  When my friends were here yesterday they had to check in down on the 1st floor.  When they came up they said "you must get a lot of visitors, because they knew who you were and called you "our transplant patient".  I didn't think anything of it, because this is a small hospital.  But today they introduced me to another nurse in this manner and then they explained to me why.   They say I've been on their calendar for a few weeks and they have been real excited!  Too funny, right?

Yes, they do come in at the most inopportune times, but they have been wonderful my entire stay.  I highly recommend Christus Santa Rosa Transplant Hospital to any in this neck of the woods.

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »

yea kelly, i'm so glad to hear everything is going so well.  :flower;

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »

Checking my thrill right now - yup ok, whew!!  It's working...

K- you sound really well and the fact that you can keep us updated personally is wonderful.  I feel like I am right there with you!  How are those slippers??? :)  I am looking at being in your shoes very soon if my donor passes her two days worth of testing next week.  I am so excited!  With all the talk on the boards going on about transplants, and praying mine comes in a month or so, well I have had some weird dreams lately.  So it helps to have you tell it like it is!  It sounds like your pain has gotten better.  Hope that's the case.  Pray you get more sleep tonight...  looking forward to Monday with you!!  No more Foley!

Monrein - Great news!  Hope all the testing passes with flying colors for you!!  What a great sister- in- law!!!!

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »

Traci, my new "addendum" to my prayers for everyone here is that they have it this easy!  (knock on wood).  Because I can be quite pessimistic, I usually prepair for the worst, but this has been a dream come true.  Once I found out Tuesday that I didn't have to do dialysis about 95% of my fear just went away.  I didn't realized how much that scared me.

This is kind-of cheesy, but when they were taking me out of the O.R. waiting area and into the O.R. I quietly said to myself "Jesus, take the wheel".  It made me laugh a little, but now that I think back that's really all you can say.  And he did!  :flower;

Good Luck!  Please let us all know as soon as you find out about your donor!!!

kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »

Thanks, that is very sweet.  Yes, He is in control!  I am right there with ya girl!!!!  I will sing the song with you!  I have tears in my eyes now...  :'( in a good way .....  have a restful night!  :grouphug;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
sickofbeingsick

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 06:47:39 PM »

Congratulations and God bless!  :grouphug;
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »

Kelly...yeah for your new kidney...
everyone..yes take care of that arm....they had a 2X2 foot sign on my door...DO NOT USE LEFT ARM....and it seems everyone looked at it and past it....I still had to remind all...and then it would be "why???"....grrrr.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »

That might be a new topic regarding that special sign no one pays attention to or wonders why it's there.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012