I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 05:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Thoughts on accessibility....Need your input, please!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on accessibility....Need your input, please!!  (Read 3184 times)
cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« on: October 20, 2008, 08:37:57 AM »

I'm the founding member of an alumni association for a collegiate group (based on the principles of Scouting) who's motto is Leadership, Friendship and Service.  The 2 year focus for this group is "Serving People with Disabilities."  I was president of this group until January of this year when I stepped down because of an impendending, elective surgery that ended up not happening.  I prided myself on being as inclusive as humanly possible in trying to meet the needs of all of the members...even to the point of trying to think about the needs of alumni who had not yet found out that we existed. 

Anyway, I said all of that to say: It's isn't enough (when planning things that physically challenged are to attend) just think about whether or not there's a wheelchair ramp.  Times, days & the actual activity taking place need to factor in, as well.

I guess I'm just mad that after them knowing I've been on Tues.-Thurs.-Saturday for 8 months....The next meeting is planned for a Saturday, 30 mins after I get off the machine at a bowling alley.  I guess, I'll take some pompoms and cheer?!?!   :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:

OK, pout time is over...... :thumbup;

What are your thoughts?

Have an AWESOME day!!

Kelly :)

In-center Hemodialysis since 9/2004
ESRD, Diabetic Neuropathy, Peripheral Vascular Neuropathy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »

Kind of like the old saw that the plumber's house has leaky pipes because he never has the time to fix his own? 

On the bright side - at least they don't think of you as disabled!   ;D

:grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »

Here's my thought:
See if your clinic can switch you that week to Friday instead of Saturday and Monday instead of Tuesday. Then, go let your group know how you feel!

:Kit n Stik;
 them        you

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »

It hurt your feelings.  I've had it done to me also.  People just don't think.  Forgive them for they know not what they do.

Try and make it.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:37:13 PM »

Personally, if I really wanted to go, I would either sign out early or skip.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 03:48:24 PM »

My husband keeps telling me that people don't mean to hurt feelings, they just aren't thinking.  Well, start thinking!   I am sorry your group didn't consider your situation.  :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 05:01:24 PM »

Staff Christmas party this year is, guess when?  On a Friday night!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:06:03 AM »

It hurt your feelings.  I've had it done to me also.  People just don't think.  Forgive them for they know not what they do.

Try and make it.

That would work if I had not already made the point that I have dialysis on t-th-s and didn't show up to previous meetings because of the conflict.   

cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 05:15:13 AM »

Personally, if I really wanted to go, I would either sign out early or skip.

That would work.....if it wasn't a weekend.  I'm a 5 hour runner who's still having problems with BUN and k-t/v.

Also, my center is avg. 2 new patients. a week.  I needed to switch days for a veinogram.  The nurse who schedules dialysis for patients went off on a nurse that was trying to reschedule my dialysis for the surgeon who was going to do my veinogram.  I would have thought they would have some extra chairs for traveling patients and such. I guess I thought wrong.

Kelly :)

cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:03:13 AM »

My husband keeps telling me that people don't mean to hurt feelings, they just aren't thinking.  Well, start thinking!   I am sorry your group didn't consider your situation.  :cuddle;

I told 'em on Facebook:
Glad to see that the PTAA is going bowling (in Burlington even!! YaY!!). Can we go hiking?? Or how about rollerblading?? Naaaa, Keith has the best idea of all...let's get together to play a game of football!! (http://www.rwc.uc.edu/kraimer/PAGE1.HTM) Keith and I will be there. But, for your count, we won't be bowling. See ya there!! Kelly :)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »