I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  New Fistula
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Fistula  (Read 1694 times)
Krisna

« on: November 30, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »

Well, last July my fistula of 21 years clotted off for good.  I had a new one placed in the upper arm on the same side in the middle of August.  It didn't develpe enough to put two needles in so I had surgery again towards the end of September to straighten it and bring it closer to the surface.  It became infected but after taking oral antibiotics and getting IV antibiotics on dialysis it appears to have cleared up.  I have been using a catheter since July and am currently waiting for the fistula to heal and develop enough for the center to use.  I have an appointment with the surgeon for a check up in a few weeks.  Hopefully I will be able to use the new fistula soon.  I am anxious to get rid of this catheter. 

I'm still a little bummed out abt losing my old fistula.  I'd had it for so long.

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »