I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis and the Gym
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis and the Gym  (Read 2816 times)
Teepo18

O_O

« on: September 13, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here goes to to the gym while on dialysis. I really wanna start as it will take my mind of things and help get me fit BUT i have a perma-cath in my chest and have no plans on having a fistula for my own reasons (:S) so im just worried i might do something to it. Will ask the nurses tomorrow when i have dialysis but would be nice to know that others still go to the gym while on dialysis.

Thanks ^^
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »

That's a VERY interesting question, but I don't have the answer.  When you ask the nurses, let us know what they say, OK?  I'd imagine they'd be happy that you want to keep as fit as possible.  They'll probably warble on about cath infection, cleanliness, sanitation, etc.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »

Here are some IHD threads about exercising:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=415.msg334720#msg334720

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3027.msg337229#msg337229

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Teepo18

O_O

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:12:23 AM »

Thanks guys, ill let you know what they say. Gonna have to set off in about 50mins for dialysis :( good job its only like 5mins walk away from me :D.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »

Given how important it is to keep the catheter site free of infection,

I would be concerned about showering in a gym's public shower facilities.  Showering is hard enough with a catheter as it is; you don't want to pick up someone else's nasty bugs too.

Maybe you could hurry home right after finishing your exercises at the gym, and wash up at home.
hexoffender

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:47 PM »

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I also go hiking and Mtn. biking. Last weekend I took my boys backpacking and we did about 14 miles in 2 days ( we go very slow the youngest is 10, and short). However I have a fistula that has fully matured over 6 years and gives me no problems whatsoever. Why risk infection with every treatment, not to mention getting the perm-cath replaced, which it will need. It will only take one case of sepsis from a perm-cath before you will see he efficiency and safety that only comes with a fistula. I second RightSide, I wouldnt go anywhere near the locker-rooms.   
Trikkechickk

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »

I worked out in the gym after my catheter was put in.  I did put small baggies over the "tubes" and taped them to my chest - loosely to allow for my movements.    Then I re-cleaned everything when I got home.

By the time I had my catheter removed - I had built up so much scar tissue around it - it wasn't going anywhere.
Had to have it removed w/lidcaine and lots of cutting the scar tissue.
carson

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 05:23:10 AM »

I was in the gym every day until I broke my back in July. Can't wait to get back! I shower at home too, not so much because of the germs in the gym showers but because I don't want anyone to see my line.

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »