I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 04:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Haemogoblin's dilemma. The permacathgate scandal.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Haemogoblin's dilemma. The permacathgate scandal.  (Read 1840 times)
haemogoblin

« on: October 12, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »

Hi Dialysis fans,

Those of you who have read my introduction will know that I am an embittered young man whose first transplant (from his mum), failed miserably after 36 hours.  But, not to dwell on the nasty stuff and to share my misery (to dwell would not be at all British would it?), I need to get advice about where to go from here.

As I see it, I have 3 basic options; one of which I have ruled out- I will explain:

1. Haemodialysis using a fistula (which I don't presently have).  This is out of the question for me.  I'm a drummer.  Plus the fact, well, I don't want one.

2. CAPD, leading hopefully to the overnight PD machine, with a Tenkhoff which again, I don't presently have but would consider.

3. I don't know whether this is an option, but: Haemodialysis, either at the hospital or at home (they have offered me a machine!) using the permacath that  I already have in my chest/neck.
I've had it in there for 4 months.

I guess my question is:

Is there anyone out there on haemodialysis who does NOT have a fistula in their arm and is instead using their permacath line? If so, what's the longest anyone's had one in there without it getting all maingy?  Because the way my local hospital goes on at me to have the line removed in favour of the fistula, it feels like they think my permacath line will at any moment explode and render me headless.  "It's dangerous to have it in there too long- the risk of infection is, too great!!!" (da da daaaaa....)

Let me know your stories.
Love to all you little dialomonsters.
Haemogoblin
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »

Well, potentially maingy one, let me start by declaring that I have no experience with peritoneal at all and never felt that I wanted it.  I personally don't like the catheter idea.    I do know that many people love it and it works well for them and I also know that for some, the clearances are inadequate and they've had to switch to hemo.

I've had permacaths, the last one for about 4 months and let me declare my bias immediately.  I despise the !@#@$%^ things.  The covering itches, I don't like baths, they lead right into the heart which is scary to me, and did I mention that I hate them.  I had a fistula for 5 years last time I did hemo (1980-1985) and did my own sticking as I am now doing again with my second fistula in my upper arm.  My doctors also say that they aren't great long term. 

However, having given my personal thoughts, there is an IHD member (Stauffenberg) who had one (well likely more than one but no fistula) for some eight years.  He is a big proponent of them so you ought to research permacaths on IHD.

You'll hear from others on this, I feel sure, and if I find anything on the topic I'll post it for you.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »

I have no experience! But I like that you are keeping your sense of humor!
I guess if your headless,you don't want a hat for Christmas.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »

I guess I don't understand why a fistula would keep you from playing the drums. I guess you could have an access placed in your thigh. The lady on you tube who does dialysis in the woods has her's there.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 06:44:41 PM »

Permacath means no showers, no swimming, and the constant tubing in your neck.  But then, you have one, so you already know the limits there.  Yes, the risk of infection is higher.  You may get better clearances with a fistula as well.  I'm dealing with a graft, and trying to make it last as long as possible because I don't want to give up my long hot showers. (Everyone has a vice!)  I can see, as a drummer why you might be leery of getting the fistula in your arm - they nerve damaged my left wrist with my first surgery, and it took almost two years to get back to normal.  Because of the damage, I've refused to let them use my right arm for the next one.  I just keep picturing how I'm going to get anything done with similar damage to my dominate arm.  Just thinking about it was driving me crazy, and I finally just outright refused to consider it.  The docs were not happy with me, but I'm well aware that I'm the one in charge!  The best advice I can give you is listen to your own voice.  The docs will try to convince you, but don't do anything you aren't comfortable with.  You can always change your mind if you start having problems with the permacath.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Mr.N

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »

Hi Haemogoblin, I understand your dilemma and I went through a similar scenario...From what my doctors said, permacaths are not meant for extended periods of dialysis, usually only from 6-9 months, because of the high risk of infections and related difficulties. They can only move a certain amount of blood per minute, and there are other risks since it feeds directly into the heart.  I had a CAPD catheter implanted, and after everything healed and the first day I started training, I  found out I had an inguinal hernia; the effects are dialysis solutions leaking into your scrotal sac and intense pain (it looks very impressive, but hurts like hell).  I was told it's very common in men (we tend to lift heavy things to impress others and not care about the effects), so you may have another surgery to fix the hernia, and you may not be able to lift anything over 20 lbs afterwards. After I had the hernia fixed, and started training again, I developed another "leak", so I decided to get the CAPD catheter removed and get a fistula instead. The fistula moves a lot more blood than the permacath can, so you'll get more efficient dialysis. As it strenghtens, you can move up to bigger needles, which can lower your dialysis time.  From what I've been told, you can still be pretty active with the fistula, but only need to watch heavy lifting with the fistula arm, and basically protect it from harm (good reason to wear a gauntlet) since that arm is your lifeline. I hope my experiences can give you some insight into what may await you. Good luck and best of luck.......
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »

I have an AV fistula, however, I'm still pre-dialysis with a living donor transplant scheduled for Nov.  Other than the nasty scar I really forget that I have the fistula.  I'm right handed and my fistula is in my left arm, so I don't have the strength in that arm for any heavy lifting anyway.  The heaviest things I carry are grocery bags!  ha ha

I wouldn't think that drumming would be a problem, but maybe someone who has more experience with using their fistula can give you better information.   Good luck!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »