I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 08:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  can a newbie choose PD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: can a newbie choose PD  (Read 3160 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: October 11, 2008, 09:39:02 PM »

I'm a newbie (GFR 13).  My nephrologist wants me to start dialysis as soon as possible.  He only talked about hemodialysis at a dialysis center.  He never mentioned any home dialysis options, such as peritoneal dialysis (PD).

Is that because PD is unsuitable for newbies till their condition stabilizes?  Or should I ask him about it?  PD sounds so much more compatible with my lifestyle that I really wish I could go that route.  I have an entire room of my home available to store whatever equipment would be required.

P.S.  I really apologize for asking so many damn fool questions!  But "PD for newbies" is a topic I haven't seen addressed anywhere on the Internet.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:14:45 PM »

RS

if  your  yet  to  start  dialysis,  ask  your  neph  the  pros  and  cons  to  either  and  make  a  decision  on  which  should  be best  for  you.

you  can  always  swap  if  need  be

sit  down  and  write  your  questions  out  so  your  prepared  when  you  go  see  your  neph.

good  luck  with  it  all.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:45:50 AM »

RS
if  your  yet  to  start  dialysis,  ask  your  neph  the  pros  and  cons  to  either  and  make  a  decision  on  which  should  be best  for  you.
you  can  always  swap  if  need  be
sit  down  and  write  your  questions  out  so  your  prepared  when  you  go  see  your  neph.
good  luck  with  it  all.
Good advice   :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
draven

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 03:43:25 AM »

When i was put on dialysis i was on the assumption that hemo was the only way. a week later after having a fistula done. i found out about pd. considering that i have a phobia for needles, i was not very happy that no one gave me any options. i look back and realize that my Dr is the manager of my dialysis unit, and i think he would gain more if his patients went to his center for dialysis than if they were dialyzing at home.
mariannas

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:15:55 PM »

I was a newbie last year and luckily my doctor is a huge advocate of PD so I was able to go on it instead of hemo.  I was so relieved...I don't do well with needles anymore either.  I used to be fine with them, but my veins suddenly started to become obstinate last summer.  I've been on PD for a year now (10/8 was my 1 year anniversary!) and I personally love it.
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »

PD is most definitely an option for a newbie!  There are some contraindications for PD such as repeated abdominal surgeries, but being a newbie is not one of them.  In fact, PD (in general) works best for those with some residual renal function and for those who still have some urine output. 

Your nephrologist should explain ALL of your options to you, giving you the pros and cons of each for you given your unique circumstances.  If PD is not a good option for you, he or she should explain exactly why it is not.  He or she should also explain about home hemodialysis and in-center hemodialysis.  You should then be allowed to choose the modality that best fits your needs.

Always remember, you are in control of the situation.  Do not allow anyone to steer you toward in-center hemodialysis unless you are sure it is the right choice for YOU.

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »

I would have gone on PD immediately if my kidneys hadn't failed so fast.  I was on hemo for 3 months and had my PD surgery done as fast as I could, cuz I like being at home watching my own tv, without all that chatter and other crap going on in the center.  For me it's also a lot easier to travel since Baxter just sends my supplies where I'm going and I take the consumables (masks, end caps, wipes, etc.)  One of the things I like about Kaiser is they have a class called Choices where the pros and cons of both types of dialysis are given.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »

PD is not a good option for diabetics.  The sugar in the solution can raise your blood sugar.  Diabetics on PD can also gain weight from the solution.  If you have had any kind of abdominal surgery that has left you with internal scar tissue, PD may also be a bad choice.  However, even if you have any of these problems, they still should have told you about PD, and explained why it wouldn't work well for you.  Unfortunatley, Draven is right about some docs only telling patients about hemo because they have their own profits in mind, not their patients' health.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 07:11:09 PM »

I have an appt. with my Neph. to talk about pd. Reading the post before mine it was stated that pd is not good for diabetics and for people that don't make urine. I can understand about the sugar in the solution being a problem for diabetics. How does the urine output play a part?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »

The law says you must be informed of all of your choices for dialysis. If you are not being given choices bitch about it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Red from Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:11 AM »

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been on PD from the beginning and love the freedom it gives me.  I had hip surgery which blocked me up and caused the catheter to cease functioning, but they were able to fix that laparascopically and now I am back on PD and functioning well.  We are travelling to Texas in Jan to get out of our Canadian winter.  I would never be able to do that tied to hemo.  By all means, exhaust every possibility to have PD if you can.  Hemo can always be done later.
Slywalker

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 04:40:27 PM »

I only had to do Hemo because there was an error made placing the catheter for PD.  After a couple of months after a successful placement I went to PD.  And, I was still making urine so I don't know about the comment about it not being a good choice while still making urine.  In fact, hemo was quite annoying because I would have to be disconnected at least once every treatment so I could go potty. (Plus I felt horrible while on hemo.)    8)

Good luck making your decision.

Sandyb

:bunny:
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 07:58:57 AM »

When i was put on dialysis i was on the assumption that hemo was the only way. a week later after having a fistula done. i found out about pd. considering that i have a phobia for needles, i was not very happy that no one gave me any options. i look back and realize that my Dr is the manager of my dialysis unit, and i think he would gain more if his patients went to his center for dialysis than if they were dialyzing at home.

Well that says it all. If ever there was a worse indictment for private sector health care I've yet to see it.

Ken
rookiegirl

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 07:36:43 PM »

Rightside,

I'm really surprise your Neph doesn't talk about PD as your option.  When I was predialysis a year ago, my Neph highly recommended PD to me because of my life style.  I'm a mother of 2, wife, work a full time job, run around to kids lessons, school events, church events, etc......  Didn't have no other health issue beside IGA Nephropathy.  This come Oct 22nd is my PD anniversary and even though I'm on dialysis, I still do all those things and much much more.

I think you should talk with your Neph about PD if this is the way you want to go.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print