I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 06:16:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Temporary Catheters and Stents
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Temporary Catheters and Stents  (Read 3884 times)
502Blues

« on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »

Anybody had any problems with temporary catheters and stents.

Well when I first got sick in 1991 I had about 5% kidney function left. That had to start dialysis right away so they put in a temporary catheter in my right subclavical vein, that one had a problem so they put one in my left side. I then had a peritoneal Cathater put in and did that for 6 months. My dad gave me one of his kidneys in Feb 92. That lasted 6 yrs I went back on dialysis in 98,had a fistula put in my left lower arm. It wasn't that long after that  when i started having swelling and they realized that I had a blockage where that temporary catheter had been. Over the years I would have many angioplasties and stents put in. STENTS are trouble also. Everytime they would put in a stent,the area around the stent would close off. Stents do NOT work.So finally after several stents,there was no more room for any more stents and there was nothing left they could go for it. So i needed a new access,i decided to do peritoneal but it would not drain like it was supposed to. In the meantime they had to keep using my fistula while they figure out why my PD wasn't working. My arm was  swollen 3 times as big as normal  by the time i could stop using it. So i wasn't getting enough dialysis and my arm was about to explode it felt like. They wanted to put a fistula in my right arm but I had the same blockage in the subclavicle area already thanks to that Temp Cathater I had.   I needed dialysis right away while they figure out where to put one. I had another temp Cathater put in my left leg,groin area. I was in the hospital  and sick of being there and wanted to go home and they wouldn't go home with that, so i had them put a tunnel catheter in my right leg.  So they  finally decided to put an AV graft in my left leg and i went into surgery thinking thats where it would be,i woke up and it was in my abdomen because once again thanks to that temp cath i had in my groin, there was blockage which prevented me from getting it in my leg.. I had already figured by now that these temporary catheters are trouble but my suspicions were confirmed  when i talked to my friend Holly,who is education coordinator,unit supervisor, and RN. She just told me what i already knew, the catheters does much damage to the vessels.I'm not sure if that includes the Chest Caths, thank god Ive never had one of those. from what Ive seen,they cause problems too.  So now, the only possible option i have is my right leg, and thats if the tunnel cathater hasn't done the same kinda damage. A transplant may be months away if that.

1991: kidney failure, undetermined cause
1991: right and left clavicle temporary catheters
1991: catheter for PD
1992:transplant
1998: June, Fistula placement
1998: july, back to dialysis,Hemo
1999: transplanted kidney removed
2001: parathyroidism
2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: april, Pd catheter placement
 PD would not drain properly
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »

My son had a permcath in the chest after 2 failed fistula surgeries. He got along with his fine.

Lori/Indiana

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »

Over the years, my husband Marvin has had 14 "perm caths" (temp caths in the clavicle) -- rotating between right and left sides.  These were used at the beginning of his dialysis journey (when he needed an immediate access) and inbetween times of failed grafts (4 of them), failed PD caths (two of them), and waiting for fistulas to mature (2 of them).  He had no real problems with the 14 perm caths, but when he needed a pacemaker last year, they wouldn't put one in the typical place (chest) because he had had so many perm caths.  His pacemaker is in his abdomen with leads up to the outside of his heart.

502Blues

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »

They didnt put it the usual place probably because the vessels were to damaged to do so. they dont use alternate sites unless its necessary

2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:23:36 PM »

We were told they alternated sites for the perm caths (first left, then right, left, right, etc.) to keep from damaging the vessels too much on one side.
502Blues

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »

Well I hope youre right. PermCaths are a little better than the temporary ones but i would imagine they do the same type of damage

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »