I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 03:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Advice for a newbie living alone
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice for a newbie living alone  (Read 3879 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: October 10, 2008, 11:57:36 PM »

Hi folks, I'm starting dialysis around October 20 or so.

My situation is that I live alone, in a new area.  I haven't any family nor friends anywhere near by.  I've always been a very private person who valued my privacy.  But now with dialysis, I have a feeling that's not such a good thing.

I understand the first couple of weeks, you feel too awful to drive yourself back home from the dialysis center.  So should I just take taxis the first couple of weeks?

And any other advice as to how to cope with all this on one's own would be most appreciated!  I've always been self-reliant, and I'm going to have to rely on myself to get through this new challenge--somehow.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:24:21 AM »

my husband drove me the first time mainly b/c I wanted him there
I drive all the time
but there have been a few times I called someone - I felt too sick usually it is low blood pressure
you might drive yourself there and then call a taxi
sometimes you know before you go that you will feel too sick to drive
good luck
and I wish you were not alone
we have several members who are on their own
they will read this post and then post
RichardMel and Rerun are both great sources of information as is Flip-- I am not sure if Flip is along but he is still helpful
I am glad you joined IHD
we care and we understand
hello and welcome
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 02:34:25 AM »

I would get a ride the first few times, just until you get used to the treatments, and they find your dry weight. Last thing you want to do is have your blood pressure crash while driving.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »

I think part of it depends on how sick you are to begin with.  My kidneys failed so rapidly that they had already done dialysis 3 times in the hospital before I started hemo at a center, and I drove myself right from the beginning.  On the other hand, it could have been because of the way my kidneys failed - I developed rhabdomyolisis due to the Zocor I had been taking for a month.  When I went into the hospital I still had 18% kidney function  Although I felt a little weak from the rhabdo, which gradually diiminsihed within a few days, I never felt any of the symptoms that I've heard about from hemo patients.  Then I switched over to PD and it's been a piece of cake ever since!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »

I had someone drive me the first week or so.  After that, I did it myself.  It was tough the first month, but it got better.  You might want to arrange the taxi service the first week at least, and then see how you feel.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 10:51:06 AM »

I was in the hospital for my first 3 treatments then when I was released I drove myself home and continued to drive to work and then to dialysis M-W-F after work and then back home. maybe arrange a ride the first time then judge how you feel. They won't let you leave until your BP is at a normal level so I would play it by ear. You will be fine. By the way what area do you live in. We might have a member near by! ...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »

I know when I first started dialysis, I did have someone drive me but eventually I started driving myself but there still are times even now where I have to call someone to come & get me because I am too weak to drive home.   I would leave my car at the clinic & then go back the next day to get it.   

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »

It depends on your overall physical condition. I have driven myself since day one and continue to do so. Personally, I think it makes you tougher when you don't have anyone to depend on. For me the hardest part is cooking for one and keeping the meals kidney friendly. That's why I grill out most nights after dialysis.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 06:13:39 PM »

what flip said...although my family and friends would say I'm more stubborn than tough...  :rofl;  I drive myself even if I am in a low bp haze...Most counties do have medical transport services some days a week that can probably give you a break sometimes...I actually did a disabled van thing the whole time I was in center here in NC and cost was less than gas... and several small towns in ND have Senior Center buses than will do a couple days a week to dialysis centers 100 miles away so that helps in that area...other states I don't know about.  I know about being a private person and wanting to take care of myself..that's my biggest hurdle in this dialysis game.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »

I think there is a big difference between private and independent. I'm very extroverted and on a first name basis with all the staff and other patients. I'm also in control of my dialysis know which machine settings get me out the door feeling good. Every patient needs an advocate even if they have to do it themselves.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 07:00:39 PM »

Where I live I can get to my clinic in about 20 minutes by one bus and one subway stop and tickets are roughly $2 each way. There's also a WheelTrans bus service available but I would not feel justified taking those resources because I don't need them.  Parking is expensive.

At the start of your treatments I would definitely not drive myself, just so you can see and judge how YOU react.  We're all so different that way.  Another piece of advice I'd give is to try and have your dinner prepared as mush as possible ahead so you don't have too much to have to stand up for.  Low blood pressures can cause these weird swings and until you get to know your dry weight it's very hit or miss.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »

I agree with Monrein, let the first few times be a test.  And I also think the ideas of meals prepared ahead in the beginning help too.  Just yesterday I had taken off too much fluid and my bp was way down.  I was too dizzy to cook for the family, so we ordered out,  You just never know.  That was a rare occasion though.  In center, they won't let you leave if it is too low.  I wish you the best, maybe you will find someone there that you develop a friendship with.  Or here, we are always here and understand what you are going through.  You are not alone in this...

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Restorer

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »

I've never done in-center hemo, only in the hospital. When I was dialyzed for three days in the hospital, it had terrible side effects on me - there's no way I would have been able to drive myself home when I got out of the hospital. It was a dangerous stretch for me to even drive to meet with the PD nurse the next day, and the indescribable lack of equilibrium I had lasted for over a week.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 04:16:10 AM »

I live alone. I came out of my first treatment feeling a bit tired but not too bad... just happy to have it over and a much better understanding of what the process involved. I think definitely get a ride(taxi?) to/from the unit for the first few  treatments so you have some idea what it's about and how you feel after it. I've been going 2 and a quarter years with no real problem but I live right over the road from the unit so it's just a 2 minute walk to get homr for me luckily. All the best

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 05:10:21 AM »

Just to chime in with my experience - I went three years in center and never needed a ride and one year at home and have only recently felt too dizzy to do anything.  But that feeling goes away pretty quickly - a few minutes rest and some water helps me.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
devon

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 06:04:12 AM »

Good thing you have taxi as a possible back up!  That's helpful.

I have driven each and every time since I started August 25, 08.  I had relatives, however, who could come to my rescue if needed.  So, far I've not needed them. 

I wait after treatment until my BP is good and I feel up to driving.  This usually only takes about 30 minutes or less.  When I feel confident, I leave and not before. 
jamoman

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »

Every patient needs an advocate even if they have to do it themselves.

Amen!  hang in there brightsky.

EDITED: Fixed quote tag error-kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:47:17 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »