I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 09:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Here is a way to raise protein and albumin without eating meat.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here is a way to raise protein and albumin without eating meat.  (Read 22326 times)
MiSSis

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »

I talked to the dietitian at my unit today and asked her about the phosphorus and potassium levels in Healthy 'n Fit 100% Egg Protein Powder. 

In 2 Tablespoons of the powder there is 35 mg. phosphorus and 311 mg potassium. 

Although she gave me a recipe for a shake, I've been adding 2 T. to my morning oatmeal.  I didn't want the extra calories from the shake but for those who don't mind them, here's the recipe:

1/3 cup low potassium fruit juice, sherbet or sorbet
1/3 cup liquid non-dairy creamer (I use non-fat Coffee Rich)
1/3 cup egg beaters
2 tablespoons Egg Protein Powder

Mix well.  (I used a blender and added some crushed ice.)

Oh, and if you use it in oatmeal, I found it works best to mix the dry oatmeal and the powder well with a fork or small whisk before adding water.  The egg protein powder will have a tendency to clump otherwise.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52:09 AM »

for the first two years on dialysis i took a hard boiled egg for breakfast along with some fruit. i got to the point i couldn't even face an egg and in the last year i've maybe eaten 4 eggs of any kind. i started looking for protein bars that didn't taste like sawdust and were low in phos and potassium. and didn't remind me of chewy granola bars which i hate. we came up with zone bars. many of the flavors don't meet the low phos and potassium requirement but some of them do and they taste good. my medicaid pays for them, however you can get them at the grocery store, they've been running about $1.25 each and sometimes are on sale for $1. i also get a protein cookie, a diabetic one so there is no sugar, but they come is several flavors too. they however have to be ordered through a supply firm. sure beats hard boiled eggs. since i have Medicaid the doctor just needed to write an rx and the dietitian took care of the rest.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »

i started looking for protein bars that didn't taste like sawdust and were low in phos and potassium. and didn't remind me of chewy granola bars which i hate. we came up with zone bars. many of the flavors don't meet the low phos and potassium requirement but some of them do and they taste good. my medicaid pays for them, however you can get them at the grocery store, they've been running about $1.25 each and sometimes are on sale for $1.

I too, like the Zone Perfect bars.  The new ZonePerfect Double Dark Chocolate is really good.  Plus you get some important vitamins and minerals--but not too much.

Potassium: 160mg
Phosphorus 15% DV (150 mg)
Protein: 12g

--a little lower protein than I would prefer, but you can't beat the taste!  And it has no sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners.
http://zoneperfect.com/products_dark_double.aspx

8)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:46:30 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »