I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 07:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is it a Coincedence?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it a Coincedence?  (Read 2997 times)
andisc40

my gang

« on: October 01, 2008, 09:35:35 AM »

Just curious if anyone has had the same circumstance.  Moved into new home in the Carolinas in 2005.  Stayed home with new baby for a year. Ended up in Heart Failure-then diagnosed with FSGS after they found bucketloads of protein.  I know this must have been a recent onset in less than a 6 month time frame.  How so--well, I applied and was accepted to get a personal life insurance policy.  I think we all know that they will look for anything to not insure you hahahahah.

Two days before getting biopsy to confirm Neph's concern, my husband walks in the door with the news that he has a huge protein spill in his urine and his primary referred him to a neph.  He had been on leave from work with being what we thought was run down and possibly depression.  Finally got diagnosed with Thyroid, and protein in urine.  He goes to a different doc. He didn't get sick until spending about 4 months at home with baby.  We did the switch.

I started to freak out thinking that there must be something in my home that caused this.  My husband has not yet had a biopsy and his Dr. is not going to do one.  His eGFR is <60 and the doc wants to monitor every 2-3 months. Son got kidney stones one year ago and daughter diagnosed with spastic bladder last year as well.  I don't consider myself superstitious, but for my husband and myself to go from perfectly healthy to both spilling protein (my obviously worse than his), something does not seem right.

I asked the Dr.  He said it's just coincidental.  Since biopsy came back with cause unknown, just thought I would ask.  Wonder if I need to get home checked (mold or whatever), or water. Please let me know if you heard anyone else with similar stories.

Thanks
Andi
Orange County Ca

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »

Too much of a coincidence for me.

I would have a inspection for mold.  Empty out all the closets and make sure s/he inspects in the attic and under the house also.

CAPD 1.25 years
Transplant 4.5 years
Hemodialysis 8 years
Transplant 3 and counting
devon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »

For what it's worth, what about formaldehyde?

I understand exposure to formaldehyde in construction materials like paneling can cause kidney failure.  Is this a newly built house?  You say "new home" and if you mean newly constructed, then this could be a factor.  Also, the chemicals used in carpeting could be a factor.

I agree way too much of a coincidence!
andisc40

my gang

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:35:14 AM »

Home is 11 years old, not new construction. Of course I am really concerned about the kids at this point.  I was just wondering if there have ever been any concerns linking mold or drinking water to kidney disease.  I would hate to think we are living in a toxic home.  Started us all on distilled water and calling reputable companies for inspection.

Andi
Orange County Ca

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:18:43 PM »

The age of the home isn't relevent.  Mold grows anywhere there is food (wood) water (leak) and dark (in da wall).

Under federal law I believe every water company is required to give you a annual report on its water contaminates.  Call and ask for the latest one then you can check out the contaminates on line.

Let us know what you find by updating this Thread not a new one.

CAPD 1.25 years
Transplant 4.5 years
Hemodialysis 8 years
Transplant 3 and counting
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:03:41 PM »

Never heard of this before. Interesting.
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »

I know that mercury does damage to kidneys, liver and heart too.  Maybe have your water checked?  Molds are not typically going to have this effect on kidneys.  They have hormonal effects, and effect things like allergies and asthma.  We do testing in our office for this.  But you could have another source of poisoning, like the mercury.  Thimerisol (sp?) is mercury and is also found in flu shots, have you been vaccinated as a family recently and maybe seeral years in a row?  If you live near a Maximized Living office, they do the same testing there.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:35:12 PM »

Dr. Dwyer Scott
3705 Renee Dr.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
843-903-3507
www.maximizedlivingdrScott.com

This is a great dr who is in our group.  If you are interested, he should be able to do some tests for you.  We treat molds and heavy metals both.  FYI ...  :twocents;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
andisc40

my gang

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »

Funny that you mention flu shots.  We as a family had to get them by recommendation of the pediatrician.  Baby was in NICU for a while, so while she was still and infant, he suggested we all get them.  We never got them prior to moving 3 years ago, but have faithfully gotten them since.  I never thought of that!  Thanks for the lead and I will call

Andi
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »

I'm sorry you and your family need to go through this.

What about genetic testing, too? A nephew and I each have FSGS. After my nephew was diagnosed, we were asked through a study to provide blood samples to look for a genetic cause of FSGS. My nephew's results showed a genetic cause. I didn't hear about my own blood tests, but it doesn't really matter to me, so I didn't try to track down the study coordinator to ask about it.

I know it won't find a link between you and your husband, but it could be a way to determine whether it really might be a coincidence and to determine if your children might be affected, too.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
devon

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »

I found this little tidbit in an article about cleaning products...

Ammonia: Fatal if swallowed; skin, lung, throat irritant; can cause blindness
Butyl Cellosolve: Irritation and tissue damage from inhalation
Formaldehyde: Known carcinogen
Hydrochloric Acid: Fatal if swallowed; concentrated fumes harmful
Naphtha: Depresses the central nervous system
Perchloroethylene: Damages liver, kidney, nervous system
Petroleum Distillates: Highly flammable; can damage lung tissue and nerve cells
Phenols: Extremely dangerous; suspected carcinogen
Propylene Glycol: Ingestion can damage kidneys, lungs, heart, and nervous system
Sodium Hydroxide (lye): Highly caustic. Contact can cause severe damage to eyes, skin, mouth, and throat; can cause liver and kidney damage
Sodium Hypochlorite (chlorine bleach): Contact can cause severe damage to eyes, skin, mouth, and throat; can cause liver and kidney damage; causes more poisoning exposures than any household chemical
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: Skin irritant
Sulfuric Acid: Dangerous. Can burn skin. Exposure to concentrated fumes can be carcinogenic
Trichloroethane: Damages liver and kidney

Here's a link to the article for more information...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26903507/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »