I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 09:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Need advice...or rather some answers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need advice...or rather some answers  (Read 2758 times)
Lilu323

« on: September 28, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

Just a couple of things..One my heart rate has been going up like crazy at the end of dialysis..highest 133...Any advice what could be causing this? Another thing I have been getting panic attacks again and also have been feeling very agitated and jumpy all the time. Any medication that can help me with this??? I use to be on valium. Do you think I should go back on it?? Or zantac??? (I think I spelled that med wrong) The last thing is anyone go to the gym?? Am I allowed to go to boxing classes?? Also does anyone here go to the steam room? Any negatives in going or any positives??? I am on dialysis 3x a week. Thank you guys for your time in reading this and responding some words . Hoepfully it will help.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »

Yes to the gym, see the thread on Exercise.  The one thing is be careful of your fistula and so boxing could be OK but don't get hit on the fistula.  Some weights are good but not too heavy.  Cardio, whatever you prefer is good.  Be very careful with the steam room as it can affect your blood pressure if that's an issue.  Talk to your doc before doing it.  Myself, I avoid all overheating situations like saunas, steam room or hot tubs.

My heart rate is also high sometimes after D.  Not as high as yours however.  I'm off all my BP meds now except for a small dose of a beta blocker.  Apparently those can help with your heart rate but obviously this is something you should discuss with your doc.

No experience with the panic attacks or meds for that but others here have and will chime in I'm sure.  You could also do a search on IHD for "Panic Attacks"

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »

Ativan (lorazepam) is very good for panic attacks. Your nephrologist should be able to adjust your heart rate with medication.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Lilu323

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:48:05 PM »

Thanks guys for your quick responses! Always great advice and info!!  :clap; :grouphug;
SuzanneFord

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:41:20 PM »

Talk to your neph and dialysis center of course, but they tried me on low dose oxygen for high heart rate "during" dialysis and it worked.  It may have been psychological as it slowed down my breathing automatically but it helped without making me sleepy and actually lifted my mood.  My oxygen level was not low however so your center may not be willing to try this.
Lilu323

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »

hey suzanne ....they started me on oxygen. they also think that they might have pulled to much fluid off and they increased my dry weight.thanks
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »

:thumbup;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »

for zantac, you probably mean xanax, which works great for anxiety, but is habit forming.

how about yoga?  ever tried that?  I find it really helps me stay centered.  My tendency towards anxiety is mostly work-related.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Lilu323

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »

Thank you for the correction. I am horrible with spelling and a college degree didnt help my spelling either. So Sad. Anyway im actually going to ask my doctor next week about it xanax..I want to go back to yoga but my doctor says I need to wait at least a year after all the trauma & surgery my body went to....
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »

Thank you for the correction. I am horrible with spelling and a college degree didnt help my spelling either. So Sad. Anyway im actually going to ask my doctor next week about it xanax..I want to go back to yoga but my doctor says I need to wait at least a year after all the trauma & surgery my body went to....

Your doctor wants you to  wait at least a year? for yoga??? I would question this because gentle exercise is always(?) good.
Maybe he was objecting to boxing, which could be damaging, and the steam room...
Alene

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »