I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 05:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  nervous Fistula is now mature
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: nervous Fistula is now mature  (Read 4166 times)
7piglets

Me and the boys

« on: September 07, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »

Do you guys have any advice..I am to start dialysis tomorrow through my arm..I have a permacath in now which good news is I can't wait to get that out ..bad news is I am not too happy getting stuck every other day.. They gave me script for a spray and also something to rub on my arm that needs to go on hour before and I need to wrap saran wrap on it??
Is there anything else I should know..What about the 'button hole' what is that ?? Any advice as always greatly appreciated..thanks in advance
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »

Hi,

My hubby Les had a permacath for over a year-
thank God he never had any problem with it.

He now has a wonderful, healthy fistula (thank God
again).  He does use the numbling cream about
1 hr before dialysis, and wraps the arm with the
plastic wrap.  I know other patients on here also
do this, the wrap keeps the cream right on the skin
and keeps it warm, making it more effective.

I would strongly advise you to tell t he charge nurse
you want someone very experienced with the needling
to tend to you- remember it is your body, and you want
to protect that lifeline to the utmost!  Les is a big chicken,
but he has not really had any complaints about the needling-
He did not know it but I called the unit rite before they
began to use his arm and told them in no uncertain terms
not to let any s--theads near that fistula-so far so good.

Best wishes to you, let us know how everything goes! :flower;

Anne

MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »

I would go for the buttonhole if there is someone at your clinic knowledgeable about this. If they're not knowledgeable forget it.

I had the buttonhole -- they stick you in the same place every time until it becomes like an earing hole in your arm. After it is established there is much less pain. They just remove the scab and insert the needle in the same hole. For me it was very reasurring that I knew exactly where they were going to stick me and that it would be the same angle each time. I rarely had problems with people sticking me even if they were new because I'd tell them exactly how and where.

I used the cream too. It does still hurt, but I'm sure the cream takes a LOT of the pain away. Make sure you wrap it up with saran wrap and use tape -- I used plastic tape -- entirely around it so the cream doesn't leak out.

Good luck! I know it's a scary time, but you will be very glad when that cath is out!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »

Oh piglets . . . I'm so glad you are back.  I have been worried about you.   Glad you are doing oki.
devon

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:08:39 AM »

I started dialysis a couple weeks back so I am in a similar situation as you.  I use the cream an hour before, wrap my arm in plastic wrap and drive to the clinic.  Once there, I usually get the same nurse each time.  The one time I didn't get her, there was all sorts of problems and it took 45 minutes to get the needle working properly.  It was a nightmare and had me thinking that I might quit.  But, I stuck (bad pun) with it.  The subsequent sessions went well or better. 

Getting stuck three times a week may seem frightening, well,  as a matter of fact, it IS frightening.  But after a couple weeks, you get more used to the idea.  I sure wish there was a better way.  A good tech is the best thing I can recommend. 

-Devon
RobinM

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »

Hello 7Piglets,

I started dialysis 8 years ago.  Is the cream something new?  When I was in-center, the nurses offered zylocaine (sp) which numbed completely, but after awhile I decided that I really didn't want to be stuck four times!  I use buttonholes now and stick myself.  I like it so much better.

Anyway, I hope today went well for you.

Robin

donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »

Hi 7piglets.... I know this is a very scary time for you.  Honestly, the lidocane cream makes it where it doesn't really hurt when you get stuck.  i agree that you should have the most experienced and gentle tech or nurse stick you.... but since I am late in responding... I guess I am just blowing smoke   :guitar:

I didn't do the buttonhole, so I have no information on that   :cheer:

Anyways... I hope your first stick wasn't too bad... it will get better.  Let us know  :cuddle;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »

Well I chickened out ..I was going to go ahead but asked about the button holes and was told. .'i dont know how to do that" it is something new and people usually have problems with them..So once I heard this I thought maybe she is not best experienced for it..(Which dont get me wrong she is actually the one nurse I love there) but I got cold feet..I was glad I did though because i was so so sick ..Everytime they flush me with my meds I feel like I can't breath and someone is on my chest it last about 1min then I am fine well today it happened then I got sick , lightheaded and didnt feel right for hours after ..
One of the drs came in and asked me how things were going when I told her she said 'well their is nothing we can do some people just have reactions" >>I asked her to leave.I can't believe she would be like that .I would think first process should be to rule things out before saying 'it is just my body" and let it be.
oh this whol dialysis thing is a NIGHTMARE...I wish I could get the pd catheter iworking:(
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »

:thumbup; you asked her to leave :thumbup; i am so proud of you
Missy was born with a birth defect that left her with one lung
the doc came to her bassinet and said she hoped her baby was not born like that
( she was pg)
all I did was cry, never occurred to me to ask her to leave
good for you
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:51:35 AM »

:thumbup; 7piglets. Good for you. I would of said more than leave to her. I have many a doctor that can't stand me because of my big mouth. There are lots of things that can be done before, during and after dialysis to make it easier on your body. She needs to find a new line of work.  :twocents;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 12:57:09 PM »

I use the ethyl chloride spray right before they stick me. It freezes the area and i don't have to mess around with saran wrap a hour before dialysis. Dialysis is long enough without starting an hour before hand. The buttonhole is something that you would want the same nurse sticking you all the time until it is established so it is done right and done by a nurse that know all about it...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »

Thanks everyone.. I called the dr office and made an appt because he is not scheduled to come in anytime soon. I just cant stand it I am sick after during after and now the day after ..I wish they could figure it out or at least try..
Boxman...how is the spray??? I am with you on the not wanting to spend another hour ..It is bad enough I have to get up at 3:30am to get there by 5am I dont want to then add additional stuff into my routine and have to get up earlier...I already go to bed at 12 ..
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »

7piglets, in bed at 12. Good Lord, I must be getting old. I'm in bed by 10 at the latest.

I always used Lidicaine (?) on Len's graft before I stuck him. Little tiny syringes and numbed real good. I hope this doctor will take the time to figure out what is going on with you. Take care.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »

willieandwinnie
They are not giving me the option of lidocaine(sp?) I would guess that definately would work...
Yeah by the time the kids go to bed, then I do housework and hubby works late shift so I wait for him to come home then go to bed..Trust me if up to me I would go to bed at 8 LOL
devon

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 07:42:01 AM »

I don't understand... "They are not giving me the option of lidocaine(sp?)"

Have you asked for lidocane injections?  I don't think it's their option to offer it or not.  If you want it, you should get it.  At my center, once I asked for it on the first treatment, it's became a standard procedure and on my record.  I've been asked a couple times since then if I want it and I always answer "yes". 

The injections are quick and only sting for a few seconds.  Then, nothing, only a vague sensation of the needle being inserted, pressure but no pain.

-Devon

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 09:09:30 AM »

I use nothing and don't find it bad at all (but of course I know that we're all different).  I find lidocaine sticks much more painful however than the others because of the sting. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »

HI everyone it has been alittle while but just wanted to update I still chickened out ..I have since found a dr who is willing to remove my pd cath and insert new one so hopefully we can get that working and I wont have to worry about the center ..
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

I have used the lidocaine/prilocaine cream for a long time now. I apply it about an hour before dialysis and add a non-stick teflon patch. I never feel a thing and the whole process takes less than a minute.

I'm usually in bed by 1 or 2. My fistula is probably more mature than I am.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »