I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:16:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  OMG what a leak!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OMG what a leak!  (Read 3358 times)
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« on: October 11, 2008, 04:52:05 PM »

Marvin has been doing home hemo (with NxStage and PureFlow) for almost 15 months now.  We've had very few problems (all minor) until this last week.

Marvin loaded a sack to make a new batch (makes a three-day supply of dialysate and then stores it in the PureFlow).  Well, we didn't notice until about an hour later that there was a malfunction in the "brain" (the computerized control panel) of the PureFlow.  By that time, there were gallons -- literally gallons -- of dialysate soaked into the carpet in Marvin's "clinic."  (We converted a bedroom into a clinic for him.)

Carpet was ruined and had to be pulled up.  Everything had to be moved out of that room (supplies, cabinets, recliner, NxStage machine, PureFlow, etc.).  Marvin and his friend had to replace the subfloor in the room because it had soaked through to that.  Thank goodness the man who built our house put in TWO subfloors with a moisture barrier in between!  The top subfloor had to be cut out and replaced.  We decided to put tile back down in that room (instead of carpet) in case it ever happens again.

It was a mess!  We temporarily set up Marvin's machine in the den so he could have treatments in there while he and his friend were repairing the floor in his clinic.  We had boxes of supplies, that recliner, cabinets, and everything else crammed into every corner in my den and dining room (we have a rather small house to start with).  There was stuff everywhere, and it was like walking through a maze to get around inside the house.  I hated to go to school on Wednesday and Thursday because I knew my house was turned upside down, but Marvin and his friend did most of the work during the day (thank goodness his friend was off this week -- works swing shift).

My homeowners insurance company said we had a $500 deductible, and the contractor they sent to give an estimate and do the work said it would be an additional $800 to put down tile (he wanted to try to clean the carpet and put it back down -- not replace it)!  OMG !  Marvin (the handyman that he used to be) convinced me that he and Randy could do the work for a lot less.  All total, they spent about $350 on the supplies (plyboard for the subfloor, tile, etc.).  Marvin tried to pay his friend for his labor (he had to do the majority of the physical work), but Randy refused.  "You'd do it for me if you could," Randy said.  (I love this man -- and his wife is my best friend.)

How does the room look now?  Oh, goodness, it's gorgeous!  Marvin and Randy did a top-notch, professional job!  I picked out a neutral tile, and it looks terrific in there!  I got my house put back together late Thursday night.  Marvin was pooped every night this week after working in there, but he said it was a "good tired."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »

Petey sweetie, what a nightmare for you two but thank goodness for good friends.  I think the tile is the best idea and I'm glad things are all back in order now in your home clinic.

Sending you some flowers.   :flower; :flower; :flower;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »

OMG!!!  Water can make an awful mess!!!  We had to replace everything in our basement last year because a water line broke!!  Like Marvin hubby was able to do all the repair work. Do you have moisture sensors, Petey, for putting close to your dialysis machine?  We have 3 - one to go close to the dialysis machine when hubby is hooked up, another close to the RO and another close to where the water and draiin hookup is in the wall.  They were given to us when we did our training. You can buy them yourself in hardware stores.  They alarm with a very little amount of moisure.  Even alarms from sweat on your finger!!!  Woulsd alert ypou very quickly if this ever happened again.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »

Oh my God petey. I'm so sorry.  :cuddle;  I've been where you are. We had to have the furnace removed, washer, dryer and 2 curio cabinets with hundreds of previous moments all stored in Len's office. It was horrible. I got a washer pan to put Len's RO on and one for his dialyzer, they worked great. It took us over a month to get the house back in any kind of order. Your girlfriends husband is a real great guy. I hope you and Marvin can now get some rest.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »

oh Lord petey and marvin....rest this weekend, you deserve and need it...thank God for friends....I have not thought about a leak sensor for the area but perhaps that is next...   ::)

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »

They work great most of the time, but, boy, when a Pureflow goes bad, it gets REALLY bad, doesn't it?  I already had lino in the room, so all I had to do was dry out my throw rug when mine went kablooey.  Glad you got everything back in order!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »

I had a cartridge leak at my Mom's house - the moisture alarm I have and keep on the cart the System One sits on went off and it completely boggled me - 4AM and this ear piercing alarm is going and I have no idea what it is - I thought it was my Mom's smoke alarm. The sound was loud enough to be a weapon.

I finally saw the fluid on top of the cart and figured it out; stopped the alarm and manually rinsed back my blood.

It got me thinking - I checked out large plastic tubs at an office supply store. I think they're big enough to hold a PureFlow. At home I have linoleum in my dialysis room but at my Mom's I can set the System One, cart and all, in a giant plastic tub to keep her carpet safe. I think I got less than a liter or so on her carpet from my one leak but I'd hate to have 40L spill.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »

Glad everything is back to normal.  :2thumbsup;
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »

Oh man, that stinks, glad you could do the repairs yourself. :grouphug;

kmatisse

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »

You should contact NxStage for reimbursement.  I know that other patients have been reimbursed for damage to their flooring caused by dialysate leaks.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »