I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 03:11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Started dialysis; BIZARRE blood test results
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Started dialysis; BIZARRE blood test results  (Read 1626 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: October 30, 2008, 06:04:25 PM »

Well, with my GFR of 13, I finally started dialysis this week.  They fitted me for the dialysis catheter on Tuesday, and I had my frst dialysis session a few hours after.  It went pretty well for a first session:  No dizziness, no big falls in blood pressure, no adverse effects whatsoever.

An unusual thing did happen, however:  Before fitting me for the dialysis catheter, my nephrologist had me take another blood test to check my renal function once more.  And for some reason, it came back with a GFR of 36!  He and I were very surprised. 

It could be a laboratory error, or it could be that my kidneys aren't totally gone after all.  I've been catheterizing myself for a whole month now to alleviate my severe urinary retention problem, and maybe my kidneys are recovering a bit due to that.  However, my urine test showed a considerable amount of protein in my urine, which isn't consistent with a physical blockage of the urinary tract.   My neph is beginning to suspect that I might also have one of the forms of glomerulnephritis, as well as the urinary retention problem.  (The fact that the urine test showed that I also have a recurrent urinary tract infection is consistent with that.)  Together they could be making my renal test results look worse than either one alone. 

The urinary retention problem can be treated.  My neph isn't sure yet whether my form of glomerulnephritis might be treatable--but it might be.  The bottom line is that with treatment, my GFR might be raised to the point where I wouldn't need dialysis anymore.  That would be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.  My neph is going to schedule me for a kidney biopsy to try to find out just what is going on inside there.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:09:21 PM »

If I may suggest a second opinion by another Nephrologist from another group (not in his group).  Sounds like the blind leading the blind here.  If he is guessing outloud??  I've never had a biopsy..... never want one.  It is not risk free to have a biopsy nor pain free.  I'm not trying to scare you but MAN you should have better answers by now.

Just my   :twocents;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »

I really didn't have any pain with my kidney biopsy.  It gave a definate diagnosis to what type of kidney disease I have.  The results may help in the course of action.   I am hoping the 36%  is the right number.  That would be great for you.    :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
graftgurl

Does banging your head help one's memory?

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »

Since the results could mean a definite difference in how you will be treating the problem, I would not only get a repeat of the lab tests, but as Rerun suggests, get a second opinion. There is a biiiiiggggg difference b/t 13 and 36. It could just very well be a lab error.

graftgurl
CKD in fall '03
leg graft July 9 '08 (2 days after my birthday)
began hemodialysis August 21 '08
petrified to apply for transplant b/c of other health issues
Type 1 diabetic for 37 years
single mother of teenage daughter
     who was a 29 week preemie due to Mom's short-term
     kidney failure and resulting in emergency c-section
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »