I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:30:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Timeline
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Timeline  (Read 6222 times)
Sluff
Member for Life

« on: September 08, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »

My Nephrologist told me that I was to expect to be on dialysis anywhere from 2 to 6 years from the date of my diagnosis of FSGS. How accurate do you think nephrologists are when they give you a timeline? I was told this almost 4 years ago and things are still going fairly well.
Nephrologista

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »

Timeline is really, really hard.  You can have some clues - like the amount of protein in the urine, the blood pressure, the trend in the creatinine over time - but it is really very variable.  I don't know of any studies that show how good a job we do.  I try very hard to get patients educated as to their choice of dialysis modality and proceed with fistula placement if they choose hemo when the GFR is around 25.  Our transplant center will see them for preemptive transplant at that level as well.

Nephrologista
Private practice, USA
Believes in prevention, transplantation, and longer, slower dialysis
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:55 PM »

I was diagnosed in 1992; I don't know what my gfr at that time was, but I do remember creatinine at 1.9.  Then I entered a long period where I didn't see a nephrologist, only a GP as my son was newly diagnosed with autism and that was all I cared about.  But in 2004, I saw a new neph and he told me that he didn't have much hope for my kidneys.  My creatinine since then has crept up to just over 3 (but it's now 2.7) and my gfr, which had been in the low 20's, has recently dipped to 18, and that's why I'm now on the list.  I don't know why I was stable for so long (although at stage 4) and then suddenly went below 20.  I have fsgs, but no one seems to know why or how or what or really much of anything.  But I've done everything I can do...follow the diet, take the pills, had the fistula, got on the waiting list.  Now I'm just waiting for the sword to drop and for the inevitable to happen...dialysis.  It's a true horror.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:11:50 AM »

I was given a timeline of 6-10 years after my kidneys became scarred. That was in 2001 and I'd say my nephrologist was very accurate.Plus I have been warned the lower the GFR gets, the quicker the decline. I hope you can prove them wrong Sluff.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Pam

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:05:41 AM »

I'm Diabetic. In 2000 I was told I had approx. 2 yrs before "D". I stayed at 25% until 2008. Once I hit 20% things went downhill  pretty fast. I had a fistula done Dec 08 and started "D" May 09. Do every thing they say and follow that low protien diet. When they do start telling you it's time to start, don't fight it. It's going to happen and you don't want to be so sick you can't put one foot in front of the other. Good luck!
Pam 
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:20:23 PM »

I was told I would be on dialysis in 6-12 months and that was 6 years ago.   Never started!   I was at 12% for about 2 years.    I do think all the knowledge I gained here helped me prolong my timeline.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »

At age 15 Jenna was told she would be on dialysis in 1 to 5 years. It was 3 years 8 months from that prediction.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:22:51 AM »

Well, I do think they are fairly accurate. How, I have no idea. I was told 2 years, which will be up in Feb, and so far I am still at 24% GFR.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »

My kidneys kept going for some years without deteriorating much. Then the decline suddenly became precipitate. I think that for some people the date is unpredictable because the rate of deterioration varies a lot.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »

My neph has never given a predication, other than that I shouldn't expect to be using my native kidneys when I'm 80. She keeps telling me I'm doing much better than she expected though. I've been seeing her for about 14 years and I'm at about 20% function now. I think I was at around 50% when I first started seeing her. My own estimate is that I'll start the transplant eval process within the next year.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »

I was told I would be on dialysis in 6-12 months and that was 6 years ago.   Never started!   I was at 12% for about 2 years.    I do think all the knowledge I gained here helped me prolong my timeline.

I'd take that!

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »