I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 03:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  O.K. I'll Introduce Myself
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: O.K. I'll Introduce Myself  (Read 3098 times)
Runningjb

"The dogs bark but the parade moves on."

« on: September 20, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »

My FSGS was initially diagnosed when I was about 29.  That was 32 years ago.   I was told this was an incurable, progressive disease, that sooner or later my kidneys would fail, and it could happen any time.  Well, It happened 5 weeks ago.  I was in the middle of a round of golf and I simply cratered.  I made it off the course, and within a couple of weeks a permacath had been installed in my neck/chest, and a fistula created in my left wrist.  Today, I completed my 10th dialysis session - enough to certify me as a true Dialysis Hater.   What's the line from Vacation  "If you hate it now, just wait . . ."

The concept of being tied to a machine 3 days a week is antithetical to my lifestyle.  I considered myself a life-long athlete.  I was a 2 sport athlete at a major university.  My first career was as a professional competitive swimming coach, with all the intensity that entails.  I have been an expedition mountaineer, a tri-athlete, a certified SCUBA diver since 1959, and have had many great adventures.  I carry a 5 handicap and average walking about 120 rounds of golf a year.   My wonderful, beautiful wife of 26 years and I own, of all things, a very successful medical insurance brokerage company here in West Texas.  We have 2 children, 3 grandchildren and a black standard poodle, and we are 3 months into the construction of our dream home, which we designed.

Now, I have kidney failure.

Curiously, my most profound emotion about my circumstance is relief.  Every day for over 3 decades I wondered if this would be the day my kidneys failed.  It finally happened, proving that problems do not go away, they just morph into something else, but that's a topic for another post. 

It has not hit me that these 3 x week dialysis sessions are my forever, and just how they are going to impact me and my family.  Having strived so hard all my life to be independent and competent, its difficult to comphrend needing a maching to avoid a slow, agonizing death  (or, perhaps more correctly, that causes a slow, agonizing death).  So, it was with relief that I came across this website which is the only place which seems to deal realistically with the issues my family and I will face.  (Is anyone else put off by the National Kidney Foundation?  It seems like "just so much fluff".  What does that organization do, anyway?)

This is my very first post to a website, ever, so I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.  Please forgive any violation of protocol.

Runningjb (my cattle brand)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »

:welcomesign; Runningjb. You will fit right in around here. Tell your wife to join also. We are a great group with loads of information and all kinds of support when you need it. I'm sorry that your kidneys couldn't hang in there any longer. Have you looked into a transplant yet? As far as the NKF, they are doing alot better now then they were 7 or 8 years ago, that's all I'll say on the subject in this thread. Again  :welcomesign; and keep posting.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »

:welcomesign; to IHD.  I look forward to hearing more from you here and I trust that you'll learn from our collective experiences as well. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »

Welcome aboard.  Come back, post often and let us know what's going on in your life.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »

:welcomesign;  I also have FSGS.  There are quite a few here with FSGS, in different stages.  This is the best site on the internet for kidney diseases.  Our local director of NKF recommends IHD to patients.   You will get straight answers here, but you will also get a lot of support for both you and your wife.  This is a tough disease on families, too. There are many spouses and caregivers here that could be helpful to your wife.  You posted a great introduction and we look forward to hearing more from you.  Let us know how you are doing on dialysis.  Ask any questions you have.  There is more answers here than the doctors could ever give you.   Glad you are here.  You are amoung friends   :grouphug;

Paris,moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »

Welcome to IHD. your post was very good and I look forward to more. Knowing your going to have too and then having to do it (dialysis) is hard to get your hands around at first. We are here for you

Boxman, Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »

:welcomesign;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »

Welcome Runningjb, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »

:welcomesign;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »

:waving;  Runningjb!  And "Welcome" from another Texan (South Texas).  What a great introduction.  Very well done for your "first post ever".  This site has been a God send for me.  I happened upon in in late September 2007 just before I had my first fistula surgery.  I have learned more in the last year from this site than in the 15 years seeing my Nephrologist.  This is not to say that my Nephrologist isn't wonderful (I mean, he's kept me off dialysis for 15 years when he thought I'd be on in around 5-7 when diagnosed), it's just that I had no idea what to ask, what to look for, what I should know, etc.  You will find all of that here.  However, as you are already on dialysis you are ahead of me.  I'm still holding on, but am seriously close.  I plan on doing incenter nocturnal.  I look forward to hearing more from you and hopefully your wife.  Tell her to join us, as well.  She will not be sorry she did!!!!

Oh, you mentioned that dialysis is your "forever".  Do you not plan to get on "the list" and try for a transplant?  Some don't and I understand.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:06:34 AM »

Good to have you with us.
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
drinkboy

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:23:51 AM »

Welcome aboard!!  This is a great place to share stories and information, and everyone is very supprotive.  I'm sure you'll find this site very helpful in many ways.
lruffner

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »

Welcome runningjb!

I have FSGS also, stage 4 and playing the waiting game. I would love to hear more, so come back often!

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:03 AM »

Welcome to our community!   What a lovely intro!  Our founder Epoman (of blessed memory) would have loved it, and I did!   This site was created to provide an honest open community  where people would be free to tell it like it  is and to help each other.  I myself came upon it when I was diagnosed, and just days before I started dialysis.  I cannot tell you how this site  helped me through those first scary days.  The site was only one month old when I joined and I still contend that it was developed especially for me!  I just checked the date and this is the exact day that I joined - September 22, 2007 (gotta go post about that)
So please read as much as you can (Information is Power!) and post just as much.  We need to know how you are doing - not nosy, just family  :grouphug;

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Wallyz

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »

Welcome, JB 
I, too, find the National Kidney foundation underwhelming.  :)

You are right, it is daunting.  It's taken me some time to get to a point where I knew enough to take back my independence.  I have done that mostly through moving to home hemo,and educating myself.  With those two steps I have been able to move from a dependent patient to a more independent person on dialysis (at least in my own mind)

Good luck, and post pictures of your place, with cattle and that porch I am imagining it to be beautiful.
devon

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »

Welcome Runningjb!

You certainly came to the right place.  I hope you find as much support here as I have.

-Devon
Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »

:welcomesign; jb , i am fairly new to this site. There are lots and lots of info here i think you will find what you need here to help deal with you situation. There are many oppsitions out there including home hemo, witch is on your time and your schedule. nice to meet ya
Wayne

Martin (the snorer) & Mack (cat w/renal failure)

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »

:welcomesign; aboard!  I am also a fellow Texan (representing the North side), love golf, and also have FSGS.  I am in stage V...haven't started d yet but getting close.  Great first post btw!   :clap;

Happily Married for 11 Wonderful Years!!! :-)
3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 01:26:24 AM »

Welcome aboard JB.... :flower;  You will find everyone here a great support!!
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 04:40:15 AM »

Welcome to IHD JB, is good to have you onboard, please feel free to ask any questions you see fit. We're here for each other.

:welcomesign; again

Alene n Rolando

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »