I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 01:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello everyone
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 3456 times)
energizer

« on: September 24, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »

Hi my name is Paul Long  Sorry this will be long.  My saga started in October of 1972 when I got a cold while in Taiwan as a missionary for my church.  I went to a doctor, and he did a urine test and I was dropping 4+ albumin but not blood.  I was then transfered up to Taipei for more tests.  Found out that I had strep induced glomerular nephritis. I was prescribed bed rest and a lot of penicillin.  After a month of bed rest, I awoke one morning with terrible back pain.  It was like someone had a knife in my back and was constantly turning it.  I couldn't stand upright.  Well a different hospital and more tests.  Results, a major blood clot in my left renal vein and a shut down left kidney.  Th doctor told me I had three choices:  1) do nothing which he highly didn't recommend,  2)  he could operate which he said the methods in Taiwan were at least 10 years behind the US and he was the only urologist in Taiwan and had nobody to consult with, so he didn't recommend that, and 3) to go back home which he highly recommended.  So 24 hours later I was on a plane to return to Salt Lake City, Utah.   When I arrived home, another hospital and more tests.  It was decided to put me on warfran to try to make the clots soften and the blood re channel.  And it worked and I survived.  Later when a friend of the family was typing up my records, we found out the the doctors didn't think I would survive.  My hematacrit as 16, I had blood clots through out both my left and right kidneys.

I then had a 9 year progression of losing kidney function.  During the nine years, I had an episode of nephrotic syndrome.  At college unaware of hidden sodium, I gained over 60 pounds of fluid.  Was hospitalized again.  Had an episode of high blood pressure.  Was hospitalized until could get under control and of course legions of tests.  Had a case of internal bleeding from the warfran.

I started dialysis March 21, 1981.  I was a bad month for my wife and I.  We had the birth of our daughter on March 7th.  We had to put her in the haspital because of jaundice.  We got her out the hospital on Thursday.  On Sunday I went in the hospital to put my graft in.  My wife got me out of the hospital on Friday.  Then we I was at home I was vomiting, very confused and just not with it.  She called the nephrologist and he wanted my to start dialysis the next morning.  So it was to be.  The third treatment I got home and passed out in the bathroom.  When I started, they didn't use bicarb.  So you crashed more easily and more often.  Also, they only used single needle.

Three month into dialysis I got prioprisms.  Another trip to the hospital and surgery. 

I had my first transplant on September 18, 1982.  My dad was the donor.  Three days into it, I got a urinary leak.  They fixed it but then the kidney went to sleep.  Two days later had an infection in the incision.  So they opened it up to clean out the infection and left it as open wound to heal.  Then had a rejection episode.  Any way the kidney worked off and on until six months later finally quit.

The next exciting things were parathyroid operations in April 1984 and October 1984.  The one in April went okay, but the one in October didn't.  In October they searched around in my lower neck and split and cleaned out my sternum trying to find the parathyroids.  They found three, but couldn't find the fourth.  I went into respiratory failure, had to have a tracheotomy and put on respirator.  Then the trach hole didn't fully heal and had to have a surgery to revise it.  In September 1988 had my second graft put in.  In  April 1992 had my fistula put in.

After that things were fairly stable until I decide to have the second transplant.  Because my PTH had been very high after the last parathyroid operation, I need to try and find the fourth gland that wasn't found the first two times.  Anyway the did a nuclear scan and finally found the fourth gland and also a fifth gland.  They had never descended and were still in the upper part of my neck.  So I had surgery to remove them.  Then I was transplanted a second time on October 31, 1995.  It was a Caddric transplant and only lasted eight days before it rejected.  Anyway, dealt with an infected open wound again, that had to be revised 3 times before it healed  In between time I had to have a left nephrectomy because of a pre cancerous tumor.  After that things went along pretty good again.

Then on January 5, 2006 I went to dialysis and 5 minutes into the run, I had a cardiac arrest.  I had bronchitis and was taking Z-Pak.  Don't know if that had any thing to do with it.  My potassium and magnesium were too low.  I had two more arrests at the hospital in 12 hours.  Anyway survived that.  Then on January 23, 2006 was again at dialysis.  The whole day I hadn't felt well and at dialysis was chilled and couldn't warm.  Coming off the treatment my temperature was 101.5 F.  They told me to go to emergency, so we went.  Come to find out, my Lipase was 18,300 and my amalase was 850.  I had a severe case of pancreatitis.  Two weeks in the hospital fasting 8 out of the 14 days.  Came home with a feeding tube for two and half weeks.  Then a non fat diet.

In August I had a gall bladder operation.  One week after the gall bladder operation, I started to bleed internally where they hooked everthing up.   They had to give me eight units of blood.  They cauterized it.  Thought every thing was fine.  Then a week and a half later began to bleed again.  This time I received four units of blood.  Since then things of been fairly calm with the exception of two minor episodes of a prncreatitis flare up.

Why do I go through everything that has happened to me?  I now have been on dialysis for 28 and a half years.  During that time, I have worked full time until 1999.  I then had my own business selling insurance and securities until I finally had to quit that.  But I still work during tax season and I am now trying to start an on line business.  Even thought there are many things we can't do, there are many things we can do.  Attitude has everything to do with it.  Many people I have seen over the years that have negative attitudes do not stay around very long.  I am not saying that you will survive as long as I have, but having a positive attitude and a reason to live will fare better.  If nothing find something you can volunteer at.  Anyway that is my rant

energizer

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »

Paul Long again;

I made my user name energizer because the nurses at dialysis call me the energizer bunny because I keep going and going and going.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »

Oh my God energizer.  :welcomesign; You have been through so much. I'm glad you found us. We are a great group and will become your second family.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »

What a "saga" indeed and many of us here have sagas of our own so we know a rocky ride when we hear one.  I feel sure, as you said, that your attitude has been a major factor in helping you to cope and we can all take inspiration from yours.  :welcomesign;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »

great post. welcome to IHD. your experience and attitude will be a very positive thing. thanks for joining

Boxman, Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »

:welcomesign;
EEsDaddy

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 04:39:06 PM »

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »

Sheesh I cried through your whole story. I know kidney patients go through problems over and over, but it still amazes how they fight and endure.
Thanks for sharing and welcome.
 :waving;

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 12:12:59 AM »

Welcome  energizer , good to have to aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
devon

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:07:48 AM »

as inspiring as the Energizer Bunny, Energizer! 

Isn't it nice to know there's a place where you can tell the story of your experience with Kidney Failure and have a rapt audience in attendance? 

Thanks for sharing and welcome to IHD!

-Devon
florida.flyer

The JAX ramp rat

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 06:34:58 AM »

wow-what an inspiring story!  I am so impressed with your can-do attitude! Thanks for sharing  :welcomesign;
lruffner

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »

Welcome to our community!!  WHAT A HISTORY!!!!!!  I am always telling the IHD folks about my amazement at the strength of the human spirit facing difficulties.  Boy, you take the cake.  You remind me of what my Head of Department in the high school where I taught used to say about me - "You have one foot in the grave and the other outside tap-dancing!!" because of the various health challenges I have been through and have come through.  I am so glad you came to IHD and shared your story.  I love it when people can tell me they have been on dialysis for such a long time.  Gives me hope.  Please continue to post  :flower;   You have joined an absolutely wonderful family  :grouphug; (if you leave our the Politics section! ;D)

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »

:welcomesign;  No one could make this stuff up!  You are a walking miracle.  Your story is very inspirational and motivating.  Thank you for sharing it and for joining this great site.  We can learn much from you.  This is a wonderful group and we lean on each other.  You'll fit right in!   Over 28 years on dialysis--- :2thumbsup;  amazing!

Paris,moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
annabanana

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »

:welcomesign; you are amazing!

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
Wayne

Martin (the snorer) & Mack (cat w/renal failure)

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »

:welcomesign;  I love your great attitude!  :2thumbsup;

Happily Married for 11 Wonderful Years!!! :-)
3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »

:welcomesign;   What a time you've had!  I'm so glad you found this wonderful site.  It's like getting married and gaining a whole new and wonderful family!  I look forward to hearing more from you!

Paul Long again;

I made my user name energizer because the nurses at dialysis call me the energizer bunny because I keep going and going and going.

Priceless!    :rofl;     :clap;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 05:32:33 AM »

Wow, energizer is right, and i thought i had it bad, you my friend take the cake and run with it :rofl; welcome aboard

cheers,

Rolando

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »