I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:25:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Should live transplant kidneys come from donors or sellers?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should live transplant kidneys come from donors or sellers?  (Read 2775 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: August 26, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »

Don't be shy.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »

this should be a good one, zach.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »

What about family members who donate - are they altruistic? Altruism can be distinguished from feelings of loyalty and duty.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »

I say altruistic donors only with compensation for expenses.  I live in Canada where we also do not pay for blood.  I'd like to see a society in which people are educated about their social responsibility to others and in which people feel personal satisfaction and reward from volunteering (meals on wheels, hospital work, feeding the homeless....so many ways to give of oneself).  Organ donation is just a part of this continuum and those who would step up to that particular plate are very special indeed in my opinion.

I personally do not believe that people or parts of people ought to be viewed as commodities.  I lament the desperate financial situations that motivate some in poor countries to sell their children, or anything they can, simply to survive and corrupt political systems or corrupt individuals within systems make me all the more wary of such commodification.  I am grateful to live in a country where an altruistic donor's medical expenses are covered should there be problems resulting from their generous social conscience and wish that all my potential donors had that benefit available to them.  

I think that family member donors are also altruistic and that the role of the psychosocial transplant assessment is to evaluate carefully and thoroughly that these offers are not being made due to pressures about loyalty or duty.  The donor's assessment team ought to wholly have the donor's (and only the donor's) best interest at heart and I'm counting on these folks in my own situation to make absolutely sure that any potential donors are offering freely, without guilt or pressure.  I've also been clear that anyone can change their mind if they choose or if they get cold feet upon learning more about organ donation.  I'll never forget that the offer was made in the first place no matter the ultimate outcome. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wallyz

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »

I chose the middle option, as it is closer to what i think. I think donors should be compensated for time, wages, costs and their donated tissue. I think restricting the moral reasoning of the donor is awfully thought police-y.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »

I chose the second one as a start.  Obviously something needs to happen.  I think that presumed conscent would be the best place to start.  I think that would take the "decision" out of a hard choice for most families in a tragedy situation.  The mortician doesn't sit down with families and tell them what they are going to do to the body!  Most people would panic if they knew what happens in cremation.

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »

I chose the combination of donors and sellers, regulated by the government. While involving the government is not an ideal solution, this is the closest to what I think might have a chance of working. Currently we use a system purely of donors, with the recipient reimbursing what they can (usually very little) of lost wages, travel expenses, etc. As we're all aware, the number of people needing a transplant is ever-increasing while the number of donors has stagnated. Obviously we need to try a new system.

Hopefully I didn't get on my soapbox, that was not my intent. I was simply stating how I feel.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »

Thought this thread was interesting:
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=9633.msg163359#msg163359

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »

I chose  "Only donors (altruistic), but reimburse for expenses and lost wages" The thought of the Government involved in this makes me a little more then nervous.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Wallyz

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »

I hear that, but with out the government  or another regulatory body, what prevents the selling of organs??
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »

I just realized that the government actually "saves" money by not legalizing the selling of organs and by only paying for 3 years of anti-rejection medication.  They know we will die waiting.  That saves them loads of money.

That hit me like a ton of bricks just now and I had to post it somewhere.

If you think about it..... if they legalized buying and selling of organs they would have to pay ALL those people 3 years worth of drugs.  Or, if they extended the 3 year rule they would pay more.  Then all these dialysis people would LIVE.  OMG we can't have that.  Just leave them on dialysis and they will die. It will cost more in the short term but not the LONG term.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »