I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:56:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Protein, again
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Protein, again  (Read 1963 times)
GA_DAWG

« on: April 30, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »

Just thought I would pass along some things our dietitian brought in for us to try last week. She brought in three protein bars. One was by pure protein and was strwberry flavored. It was okay but the lowest ranked of the three, to me. Next was one from Gatorade made from whey protein. It was chocolate and despite that had relatively low phosphorous, according to her. The best of the group was a cinnamon roll flavored one by Zone Perfect. To me, these were thw best of the bunch, but none of them had the dried out texture so many others have. The Zone Perfect bars, including one that I have tried that is fudge graham ARE higher in sugar, so would not be good for diabetics. I know tastes vary and requirements vary, but the taste of these was good, and were provided by our dietitian.
lulu836

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:59:46 PM »

Have you tried the Salted Caramel?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
rcjordan

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 03:17:44 PM »

What causes some to need supplemental protein?  I get too much protein in my meals if I'm not careful.

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
SweetyPie

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »

I was offered protein bars they looked yummu but had to decline because of nuts. What the gatorade ypur talking about... i lovee Gatorade
GA_DAWG

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »

It is a bar made by Gatorade from whey protein, which I have seen before talked about as good source of protein for us. The one she brought in was chocolate and she said it had low phosphorus for something chocolate.
SweetyPie

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 11:52:13 AM »

Actually sounds pretty good. Crazy a bar with chocolate would be low in phosphorus
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »

What causes some to need supplemental protein?

I eat a ton of protein (e.g. 1/2 pound of fish for dinner) and my albumin count remains on the low side.  I do PD ad PD tends to wash out protein leaving people depleted and needing supplemental protein.  It does the same thing to potassium. That's why some PD people need potassium supplements.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »